WALKING IN THE RAIN -- 01/06/1973

Walking In The Rain
Performed by The Partridge Family Starring David Cassidy and reaching number 10 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 01/06/1973 Duration of dance - 2.43 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-7E-1dPYKo

Confession time, guys! Who's got the Partridge Family on DVD? Well… I have, and all four seasons of it. For seasons 3 & 4 I even had to buy US imports, but that didn't keep me from completing my collection (we collectors are like that, you know). Of course I hated David Cassidy when I was a teen, I mean, I didn't have a choice, all the girls loved him! And his music, only the girls liked his music, none of the boys did. No I didn't take him serious. Then. Now that I've grown a bit older, I have a different perspective. Today I think his music was actually quite good, especially his later albums (you know, the ones that went nowhere in the charts).

Of course, everyone knows the Partridge Family was a fictional family, loosely based on "The Cowsills", and the TV series started in 1970 in the US (in the UK it was a little later). None of them played any instruments on their recordings, and the only ones that were allowed to sing on the records were Shirley Jones and her real-life stepson David Cassidy. Due to the success of the series, David became one of the biggest teen idols of the early 70s.

"Walking In The Rain" was a track from their 6th studio album "The Partridge Family Notebook". The original recording by the Ronettes dates back 9 years earlier, from 1964, but it was The Walker Brothers who first took this song into the UK charts, peaking at No. 26 in 1967. Oddly, "Walking In The Rain" was not released in the US where Bell opted for "A Friend And A Lover" instead. In the UK, it was the last charting single by the singing family, and naturally they could not perform the song in the studio. TOTP could have shown a video from the TV series, but fortunately they didn't.

Dressed as schoolgirls, Pan's People perform a rather old-fashioned kind of dance, reflecting the lightheartedness and the innocence of the TV series. This is a performance where you can't say much about the setting because, basically, there isn't any, just a black backdrop. The only shift is when the girls change their dresses and put their raincoats on. As with many if not most Pan's People dances, there are no real solo parts. However I do think that the dance suits the romantic mood of the song very well.

I have to say I quite like the song, in my opinion it's one of the best tracks by the Partridge Family, and as I also like the dance, my rating for this one is a solid 8.5 out of 10.

As Dancer of the Day, I've picked Louise, she's just sooo cute at 0:30.

Oh and by the way, the original TV scene for this song features a 10 year old Jodie Foster!

Re: WALKING IN THE RAIN -- 1973

Suefan
This is another enjoyable dance routine and having the dancers set against the black background works well.  Choosing a Dotd is as ever difficult as all the ladies bring their best cutie pie to the table, but its Babs that seems to get the biggest slice of my attention.  So Babs for Dotd and a score of 7.

Re: WALKING IN THE RAIN -- 1973

To be honest I'm rather indifferent to this one.  I find the song really bland and Vin is right on the mark, I am one of those boys who never liked David Cassidy but I haven't grown up enough to stop disliking him.  I always find his voice sounds strained.  The ladies look good but they're wearing my nemesis: Sensible Shoes!  The garb is really run of the mill and although the rain gear adds a little colour I find the whole thing lustreless and there are not enough close ups for my liking although the Louise shot near the beginning is nice and this gets her DotD from me too.  All in all this is low on my watch list and reviewing it a couple of times hasn't helped elevate my mark of 4/10

Re: WALKING IN THE RAIN -- 1973

Paperboyplod
It's an easy task, reviewing these earlier Pan's People routines, as they all basically comprise, a purely group-based routine with hardly any individuality amongst the dancers, & standard dress-code with, a minimalist set.
But, they're all still a joy to watch really, & Walking In The Rain is no exception, PP, as ever are just so graceful, as they execute their dance moves, the obvious gear-change is when precipitation, in the form of rain, starts falling, & the dancers don their anoraks, something that Flick may have recalled when devising Legs & Co.'s routine for I Can't Stand The Rain, & yeah, this routine could just as easily have been for Neil Sedaka's Laughter In The Rain track.

8/10

DotD:-

Babs

Re: WALKING IN THE RAIN -- 1973

I feel ashamed of myself I do have all the LP's (and did have books etc) -  I do like 'How Can I Be Sure' by Cassidy, but never liked the treacly programme that much and the syruoy LPs were mediocre (but I kept them)

I did however fancy the pants off (careful there - yewtree knocking) Susan Dey when she was a model.....she was very pretty (before she, like Farah (the actress not the trousers) went off the deep end in the 80's)

This routine it's not that fantastic, nuff said.

5/10

louise for DOTD

Re: WALKING IN THE RAIN -- 1973

VintageVideos
Thanks for your comments so far, I was expecting some low ratings for this one, as David Cassidy & The Partridge Family were and still are not exactly hip in certain circles. Their music was well-produced but often sounded trivial and syrupy. Though my personal opinion is that David Cassidy's solo albums from 1975 and 1976 sound very mature in contrast, and the list of contributors is impressive (several US West Coast musicians). He tried very hard to shake off the teenybopper image, alas success proved elusive.
Maybe it's just the childhood memories and a certain kind of nostalgia why I still like to watch the odd episode.

Re: WALKING IN THE RAIN -- 1973

I like the song, i like the routine, dancers are much of a muchness.

DOTD-Ruth

Rating--8  out of 10.

Re: WALKING IN THE RAIN -- 1973

Some nice close-up shots and smiles, and the choreography is tight, but somehow I feel this routine is a bit - damp.

DotD: Babs

Score: 6.5

Re: WALKING IN THE RAIN -- 1973

After reading through the comments thus far I didn't have high hopes when I came to view this, but it actually transpires that I like it and I think it's a winner. On reflection this isn't really that much of a surprise, as for me out of our three troupes PP are the hardest to predict as to how much I will or won't like a routine.

The look here is just about the correct side of too little girlie. Though I share P4PM's paradoxical gripe that sensible shoes are not a sensible option. The bobbing heads, the ring-a-roses bits, the flirty little hitchings of skirts,  the coy but coquettish poses; they all reinforce the sense of playground cutsey. But fortunately you can always trust PP on this ground, and here they provide a masterclass in light innocence. While also holding a mirror up to the bulk of the Cassidy fan base (no offence Vin!). The dashing off with hands on heads for waterproofs is a likeable feature. And the changes in the weather also seem appropriate, like a metaphor for the fast changing moods of those same teeny fans. And of course, girls would never let a bit of a downpour scupper their dancing delights. Suitably attired it only adds to the fun!

Louise just about catches my eye the most so is DOTD.  8/10.

Re: WALKING IN THE RAIN -- 1973

Who's That Hurll
This routine caused much consternation on the forum during the 'Dub Wars' and although it does work well with Neil Sedaka's precipitation based song, the original is always the best to me.
The lighting is pitch black to illustrate the foreboding storm ahead, but it's not until the rain comes down do the girls dash for cover. Thankfully they've brought their raincoats and can continue where they left off, to give a sweet and charming routine to the Partrige Family's final UK hit.
DOTD Louise.    8/10

Re: WALKING IN THE RAIN -- 1973

Old Bill
I must admit, I've never seen the Partridge family. Apart from the opening sequence and much parodied opening sequence. But if this song is typical of it I don't think I'm missing much.

I don't think they're dressed up as school-girls though VV, but are they are very girly and cutesy as GD says. And I must go along with his & P4PM's view on sensible shoes.

The dance is all pretty so-so. Not an awful lot happens, except when they run off to don their macs & hats. But even this got a bit samey after the umpteenth shower. I thought Flick might have had them heading for their waterproofs a different way, stage left or right perhaps, running off to the distance even? Or you'd think they would have just left them on just-in-case after the first couple of down-pours!
I like the contrast with the black background.

Just a 6/10, and the many smiles help this be as high as it is. Louise is the most eye-catching, and DotD.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: WALKING IN THE RAIN -- 1973

BeautifulBabs
Likes :
Camera work
dark diffuse backdrop - stage invisible
costumes and costume change
Louise Babs and ruth camera looks
ADB's comment prompted me to look up Susan Dey and she is/was a babe.
If the partridge family had attempted to perform this on totp it would have been torture

Loses marks for :
song - it's a bit dull and i know its blasphemous but I first saw this dance to laughter in the rain and I was disappointed to learn the real one was this dud.
Cherry not really getting a look in to the camera
The girls did not really get rained on and wet it would have been more fun if they had
rather lacking in action in general

Lovely Louise pips babs for dotd and 7.5 only

Re: WALKING IN THE RAIN -- 1973

Doc
dotd: Babs.
Look how sharp my screen grab is!

Re: WALKING IN THE RAIN -- 1973

PaulF
Not keen on the song but a nice routine well executed by the girls 7.5/10. All the girls looking gorgeous but DOTD Ruth for being the most enthusiastic about walking in the rain at the end.
Paul

Re: WALKING IN THE RAIN -- 1973

Lookmacinanger
Pans People appear to be playing it safe with this weeks assignment, but unlike Legs and Co who were given the right ammunition with their routine to a similar precipitation themed track (see 1978 dances) they have to interpret David Cassidy song in a gentler manner. The end result looked good to me 7/10. Dotd Louise

Re: WALKING IN THE RAIN -- 1973

JEZ
ive always liked the song ,and although the dance is pretty basic at times ,its one that i like very much ,i know that some of the dances might look a bit dated now ,but the rain effects in 1973 were pretty cool for that period ,the dance deserves an 8 ,and even though ive got a soft spot for each of the dancers in this ,ruths cute look at the camera comes a second close to dancer of the day ,but just pipping her at the post is louise ,lts the line where the camera is on louise and her mothing the word shy to the record that makes her dotd for me ,thanks

Re: WALKING IN THE RAIN -- 1973

bucksby
well it is fair to say it's one of Pans literal interpretations but it does work pretty well. I do like the song and in fact most of the Partridge family singles were ok. Anyway I like the routine but it is a bit repetitive in some places, Ruth is the best in this so DOTD goes to her. Routine a 7.

Re: WALKING IN THE RAIN -- 1973

Mikey
So for this routine PP have knocked back the years and returned to being young girls, skipping, holding hands and dancing in a circle. Even the outfits look very girly.

I wasn't keen on the completly black setting at first as it makes the whole thing look drab but i realise this is a necessity for the rain effect to work, and boy does it rain. Luckily just off camera is a stash of raincoats and hats for them to don each time the heavens open. So this is basicially the gimmick for the whole routine, it starts raining, on with the raincoats, dance a bit, stops raining, off with the raincoats, dance a bit, starts raining etc, etc...

The song is a bit "meh" for me, i've always avoided boy bands and other male teen hearthrobs like the plague. Its not awful though, i've heard a lot worse.

Pleasant enough routine but not a classic, 6/10 DOTD Louise

Re: WALKING IN THE RAIN -- 1973

Old Grey Whistler
I would say that this is possibly my least favourite Pans People TOTP routine. To start with I find the song pretty dire which does affect my enjoyment of the dance and the choreography is fairly basic as well. I have to say that I am now quite relieved that I didn't watch the Partridge Family!
Unfortunately it gets just 5.5 out of 10 with Babs as DOTD.

Re: WALKING IN THE RAIN -- 1973

PansLegs
This is obviously a two-pass performance, recorded after the main show, in order to facilitate the speedy costume modification. Off the top of my head, there's not too many 'black abyss" Pan's People TOTP performances when there's absolutely no hint of set or even a peep of a light - 'You Can Do Magic' is another one. Like that performance, the blackness allows the more seamless transition between different recordings to build up the complete routine.

This routine has a tweeness about it, with ribbons in the hair, sweet dresses and maypole style moves but that fits well with the image of the Partridge Family and their version of this song, although David Cassidy was obviously breaking away from the original mould and becoming the main attraction outside of the show.

I can imagine this is the type of performance could be used to unfairly poke fun at Pans on some lowbrow game show but thankfully it has escaped being used for that purpose. Despite that and a lack of symmetry in some of the moves, the visual provided does the job admirably for the soundtrack and is really quite fun. I have a soft spot for this one hence 8.5/10, DotD Dee Dee.
12