WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 22/01/1970

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 1970

PansLegs
Great comments LNV and good to see another 10/10. As Vintage Videos says, a wide span of scoring here.

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 1970

Andeebee
I don't have alot to say about this, it's not fantastic, and YT doesn't do it justice, whereas DM will/may.

I have never really been a big fan of pre '72 Pans, I find it formalistic and sometimes too literal and boring. That is my opinion.

I can't get excited by this routine at all, I will reward this 3/10

My wedding belle,if I have to choose is Ruth

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 1970

PattiforPM
We may have to Nabble Poll BB's Meanie of the Week

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 1970

BeautifulBabs
flick, louise if you're looking down please forgive the 3/10 meanies

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 1970

Mikey
Quite a range of opinions on this one, I'm not a big fan to be honest despite any historical significance. The bridal outfits are nice but i'm struggling to pick any particular element in the dancing i enjoyed, and the stage looks too cramped, its better with the usual 3 - 3 formation seen in Green River etc. Its also lacking the audience seen in other performances of this time. That said its watchable and i don't dislike it as much as some, the swirly coloured background is quite 'far out' (although i doubt many had colour TVs then to appreciate it), and its from 1970 so nice that it exists at all i guess. 6/10 DOTD Flick

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 1970

JEZ
ill hold my hands up, im not quite as keen on the earlier routines that pp did up until probably 1972 ,then the routines seemed to be the best ,although as we know we don't have that many routines that have survived to really judge on ,anyway wedding bell blues has survived in full colour and as it has been said earlier this dance was the real start for pp on a regular basis on totp ,the outfits and dance fit the song ,and the bouquets add that extra little something to the dance ,I give a 7 for this one ,its not a song ive ever played much it was n a cd ive got called north of Watford ,but I tended to skip that track

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 1970

Old Grey Whistler
I don't like the song at all but the dance is quite good.
I don't know if the camera man was on his tea break but I wouldn't have minded a close up or two.
Some nice choreography and it is great that it is available to us to watch as sadly many from 1970 are not, however this isn't one of my favourites so it will be 7 out of 10.
I am not going to nominate a DOTD as with no solo's or close ups, I can't single anyone out.

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 1970

Colm
I like the synchronicity of this routine, as well as the fact it's just one locked-off shot. The girls timing is lovely, and they look so demure in their gowns and veils.

DotD: Babs

Score: 8

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 1970

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 1970

Doc
Pleasant routine, it's in colour and it survives (I believe thanks to Bob Pratt) 8/10.
Dotd: Not really a stand out so I'll give it to 'little' Ruth who seemed to get an even shorter dress.
Still living in 1979

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 1970

katy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 1970

Dancer
Love this routine so much but then I really loved the song.  As per the above they were an American group and had huge success in their native town.  I constantly play their Best of and their interpretation of Burt Bacharach's music is pure bliss and their best one which really should have charted here is "One Less Bell to Answer".  The perfect song.  Not sure if it was ever released here but they really missed something there.  I know they did a few concerts over here but as stated their success was minimal over here.

The routine itself is beautiful as it is easy to copy.  The girls looked beautiful in their wedding outfits and Ruth looked perfect.  The only negative to this one was there were no close-ups of the girls and I had difficulty finding out who was who but overall I loved it as I loved the song so much and would be perfect desert island disc of mine.

I will give the dance nine out of ten.  It would be ten but alas no close ups and the best dancer is awarded to Ruth as her legs looked lovely and she suited the outfit perfectly.

I always wondered if this routine was chosen for Andrea as she was getting married.  Interested to know if this is the case.

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 1970

PattiforPM
I've said something similar to this to someone on here before Dancer but I think there's absolutely no danger whatsoever of you and I ever fighting over the same album at the same record store but it's great to read different opinions on here and I have certainly come to respect your music knowledge

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 1970

"One Less Bell To Answer" was released in the UK but did not chart. I agree it is a great song.

A couple of years later Jim Croce recorded a song called "One Less Set Of Footsteps" with a similar lyrical theme, but the music was completely different of course.

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 1970

Dancer
Thanks both.  I did not realise One Less Bell to Answer had been released here.  I would imagine it had no airplay given the content of the song i.e. it is quite depressing and falls in line with Marvin Gaye's What's Going On which again was banned (not officially) by Radio one as being too depressing according to Tony Blackburn as he really liked the latter song.

I do remember their single release of Diana Ross' Love Hangover in 1976 and hearing it on Rosko on a Saturday morning.  It was really awful and well done to Motown for rush-releasing Diana's version.

I think if I had been older though I would have liked to see Fifth Dimension live.

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 1970

VintageVideos
The Fifth Dimension only had two chart entries in the UK, the Aquarius Medley and Wedding Bell Blues. None of them made the Top 10. In the US, they had two No. 1's (the two UK hits), five more Top 10 hits plus thirteen further Top 40 hits. Which just goes to show they weren't very popular in the UK. I guess they were "too American" in their style.

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 1970

Old Bill
BeautifulBabs wrote
Not sure about the song- it has the lady wailing about Bill who I presume is the band member she married.
If it was a Legs dance it'd be clear who was wailing about Bill! :-)
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 1970

Old Bill
PattiForPM wrote
Thanks PansLegs, what a great climax to the Dance!  Pity someone with the requisite skill-set hasn't grafted it onto the existing clip
I'm not sure I can claim to have the requisite skill-set, but...

https://youtu.be/9Xe9Q3sYW4o
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 1970

Old Bill
Ain't this fun! If it's a Marmite dance it's definitely one I can have on toast every morning and lick the knife to boot.

Some nice soul music and some jolly moves. Nothing tricky here, but there's a nice fun feel about it - celebratory as any good wedding should be. No blues here despite what Bill is doing to his intended.

I'm not sure if we've got to the bottom of the flower dropping yet, but I reckon it could be Andi... she sheds a petal right at the start and then one later on in the dance too. At least I think it's her, it's a bit fuzzy and all these blurry blushing blond brides look the same to me.

I like this. 8/10 and Ruthie for wedding belle of the day.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 1970

What a rude nitwit I am; it seems I never thanked OB for this grafting job.  Big thanks OB if you're still out there