WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 22/01/1970

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 22/01/1970

sueforever
We have our six ladies on another square stage. This time our ladies are wearing white mini skirts and wedding vails. With base coloured boots and carrying bouquets. Another good routine for this song by the Fifth Dimension.

Once again the routine does not have a solo for any of ladies. All the ladies are good.

So the score will be 6 out of 10.

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 22/01/1970

  Would you want to leave any of these Bonny Belles on the shelf? Here are six budding brides, complete with shortie wedding dresses and bouquets all ready to walk down the aisle, and not a groom in site. Although a simple set up and one set camera angle, a very enjoyable routine with each member moving in line or in formation around the small stage. My knowledge of dancing technique may be little, and so with the associated vocabulary, but I found the 'weaving' movement performed at about 01.26 in the routine, pleasingly effective- and none of the girls needing to take a false step to avoid collision. Overall. a very pleasant number for all its simplicity- which we can all enjoy in colour, an additional bonus.
  The American vocal group the Fifth Dimension featured in an engaging film for this song in which Marilyn McCoo, with the help of the other members, tries to persuade reluctant bridegroom- and real life husband- Billy Davis to make her his wife. This is easily found on Youtube and worth a glance if you have never seen it, I feel. In truth, however, the group were connected with better songs like the 'Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In' medley and the Jimmy Webb song 'Up, Up And Away' even though a different vocal group, the Johnny Mann Singers, had the hit with that in the U.K. But this hit does show what a good singer Marilyn was.
  The costumes are very catching to my eyes. These short wedding dresses were a real fashion at one stage- if I remember correctly. And the length, with the movements, does put a lot of focus on their legs, boots and under garments- all a plus in my book. Topped off with the veils and bouquets, these costumes are a winner in my opinion.
   So, which one of the 'Belles' would you like to marry? And because Polygamy is not allowed, you cannot have all of them. A very difficult task to pick from the six, as they all look adorable. But, because she is my enduring favourite- from a little while later in life- I will ensure that Ruth is my Bride ( Dancer ) Of The Day.
   The routine itself I will score as 8.5/10. Not the greatest but a thoroughly good and watchable outing. Another Pan's Plus from me.

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 22/01/1970

PattiforPM
I like your in depth comments Hanway.  Must say this is not one of my favourites but I do wonder, rather sacrilegiously perhaps, whether it might have been better with Ruby Flipper hamming it up or perhaps Legs & Co with Floid playing Bill (sorry Ryan)

Re: WEDDING BELL BLUES -- 22/01/1970

Although I think this routine is quite simple with just the single static camera and the early use of blue (green) screen, I think that Pan's People do a lovely job to this routine and they all look lovely. We're quite lucky to have this routine and I do give it a play quite frequently, but I must admit I also like the TOTP video for this routine that was shown a couple of weeks later, which does also exist.
One of my favourite photographs of Pan's People has to be the one taken in the reception of the BBC Television Centre, while they were in costume for this routine.

All ladies were outstanding in this routine, but I do have one favourite this time.

Rating: 10/10
DOTD: Ruth