WHAT YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW !

Re: WHAT YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW !

Dancer
Been listening to classic 1976 disco CDs today.

Donna Summer - A Love Trilogy
                         Four Seasons of Love; and
                         I Remember Yesterday.

Some of us seem to have been stuck in 1976 today.

Re: WHAT YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW !

Wished I had listened to that.  It must have been 41 years today that I purchased Love Hangover because of that dance too.  Still got the 7" here.

Re: WHAT YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW !

Doc
It's 1975 on the 2nd half of Pick of the Pops this week. One of the songs was Franki Valli and The Four Seasons - The Night. I don't remember this but listening to it makes me think that the lost Pan's People routine for it could well have been a cracker! They also play Once Bitten, Twice Shy and Sing Baby Sing, both great routines saved by The Vicar.
The first hour is 1959 and the music in that chart is so different from anything most of us are used to!

Re: WHAT YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW !

Everything'sRosie
I heard it by chance. The Night is a superb record. The resurrected Four Seasons put out some incredible tracks in the mid 70s, but one which seems to get forgotten about was Down The Hall, should have been a monster hit but strangely stalled in the 30s. Number 34 to be exact. Never made it onto TotPs, which probably didn't help.

 I think 1959 is probably a little too early for Pick of the Pops. Alright once in a while if some Berry, Presley, Holly, Cochran etc happens to be in the chart, but some of the other stuff from that time sounds awfully dated on a pop channel now.

Re: WHAT YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW !

VintageVideos
It is interesting to note that The Night had originally been released on a Motown (!) sub-label back in 1972 without success. After it became popular on the Northern Soul circuit it was reissued in 1975 and made no. 7. The charts of 1975 were filled with lots of records from the Northern Soul scene (although most were lesser hits).
Vin

Re: WHAT YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW !

Gorgeous Daze
The Night also made TOTP as a Number 39 peaking 'hit' performed by the reformed Soft Cell in 2003.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJXqIvhml3g

Re: WHAT YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW !

PattiForPM
Dedicated to OGW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOSUvgNMuWA

Re: WHAT YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW !

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks P4PM - It's not a bad song really but I had never heard of artist or song before now!

Re: WHAT YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW !

Everything'sRosie wrote
 The Night is a superb record.
I have to agree. It passed me by in 1975 so it's like hearing a new release and I think it's a great track.

Re: WHAT YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW !

Doc wrote
It certainly was Doc.  If my less than reliable memory is close to the mark the ladies were in long black outfits (there is a pic of a cabaret get-up which is the same or very similar).  As you will have deduced from the song it was a dramatic dance routine with plenty of armography, bigish hair and a fair few spins.  A real corker and a shame that, to date, no surviving VT has surfaced.

Re: WHAT YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW !

VintageVideos
Currently listening to Chris Clark - The Motown Collection

A white soul singer who was signed to Motown. Great voice but unfortunately she never made it as big as she deserved.

Here's a track by Chris, "Love's Gone Bad":

Vin

Re: WHAT YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW !

You have got majority if not all of that correct Suefan.  I remember Pans People dancing to this.  Can remember Cherry's solo in the middle too as she turned her head around to the lyrics "yes the night begins to turn your head around"

Was released on the Mowest label from recollection.  I have it in my collection somewhere.

Re: WHAT YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW !

Interesting.  I am trying to work out how many white acts that Motown had on their books that had hits VV and I can only think of a few:- Kiki Dee I am sure recorded for Motown, Charlene and I am convinced R Dean Taylor was white too.  Maybe you can put some flesh around the bones for me as I am a huge Motown fan.

Debbie Dean was the first white artist to be signed to Motown. Others were the group Rare Earth and the singer Teena Marie. I'm sure there were more.
Vin

Oh yes I remember Teena Marie.  She made some good underground dance stuff:- Behind the Groove and I need your Lovin'.  She was lovely looking too.  Her Irons in the Fire sleeve made her look so beautiful.  She had such a good voice too.  Just a shame she was not marketed correctly.

Re: WHAT YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW !

Everything'sRosie
I didn't know where to put this, either here or in the Chat thread, but I've just been catching up on Glastonbury on the I-Player. What a bonanza on the Sunday afternoon for Legs fans. Barry Gibb followed by Chic! Fantastic to see so many young 'uns dancing to these dancefloor classics, which were put out years before they were born. For me though it's impossible to hear these songs and not see Sue and the girls dancing to them in my mind's eye. What amazing times revisited.

Re: WHAT YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW !

The Rubberband Man
Everything'sRosie wrote
I didn't know where to put this, either here or in the Chat thread, but I've just been catching up on Glastonbury on the I-Player. What a bonanza on the Sunday afternoon for Legs fans. Barry Gibb followed by Chic! Fantastic to see so many young 'uns dancing to these dancefloor classics, which were put out years before they were born. For me though it's impossible to hear these songs and not see Sue and the girls dancing to them in my mind's eye. What amazing times revisited.
I was away over the weekend so I'm doing Glastonbury by Catch Up.
I watched Chic's performance and thought it was brilliant. So many dance routines as you say ER. Niles Rodgers is an absolute Legend.
Barry Gibb did all the hits. It's incredible the number of songs the Bee Gees have written. Sadly, Barry's voice on some of the very high pitched falsetto stuff is a bit shrill nowadays, but on the songs that are not sung like that I enjoyed them.
The Foo Fighters I've still to finish watching, but from what I've seen so far I've loved it.
Radiohead to watch next.

Re: WHAT YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW !

Everything'sRosie
The Foo Fighters were superb. If you're a Radiohead fan, TRB, prepare yourself to be blown away. I thought their performance was extraordinary.