WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 08/08/1974

When Will I See You Again
Performed by The Three Degrees and reaching number 1 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 08/08/1974 Duration of dance - 2.38 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp1TX1BXJ4A
(Please have a look at the YT version, if only for the new stereo sound of this wonderful clip)

Formed around 1963 in Philadelphia, The Three Degrees are celebrating their 50th anniversary this year. Only a couple of their early singles made a (minimal) impact on the US charts, but in 1970 they scored their first US Top 40 hit with a track called "Maybe". This was followed by a few lesser releases until their contract with Roulette Records ended, and they were signed to Philadelphia International Records in 1973.

Already the first song recorded for the new label was a big success: "TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia)" by "MFSB featuring The Three Degrees" went on to become not only a number 1 hit on both the US pop and soul charts but also the theme tune for the popular TV Show "Soul Train", albeit in a slightly different version.

The first single credited solely to The Three Degrees on PIR was the presumable Jimmy Savile tribute "Dirty Ol‘ Man", and even though it made No. 1 in the Netherlands in January 1974, response in the UK was only faint (one week in the "Breakers" charts). Their second single "Year of Decision" fared much better, peaking at No. 13 in the British hitparade, but it was their third release for which they will always be remembered, a song called "When Will I See You Again" that was a big hit worldwide, No. 1 in the UK and No. 2 in the US (their second and final Top 40 hit over there!).

Lead singer Sheila Ferguson recalled that "the song was played to me by Kenny Gamble at the piano in 1973 and I threw a tantrum. I screamed and yelled and said I would never sing it. I thought it was ridiculously insulting to be given such a simple song and that it took no talent to sing it. We did do it and several million copies later, I realized that he knew more than me." (thanks Wikipedia)

The song entered the UK charts in July 1974 when British viewers were going through a rough time: a strike at the BBC made it impossible for "Top of the Pops" to go on the air for seven long weeks. When TOTP finally returned on 8th August 1974, WWISYA stood at No. 2 and still climbing. What a great chance for our girls to perform a routine to this beautiful ballad!

This routine was the third most popular Pan's People performance on a poll that was conducted on OFTD last year. It's also popular on the YT channel with app. 3,000 views so far. And finally, it's not a secret that some members have chosen this as their all time favourite Pan's People performance. I am really curious to learn where this will end up in our favourites lists. Will it – finally – knock "Barbados" off the top of the Pan's People list? Only time will tell.

Contrary to my usual practice, I will not make many words about the routine itself, so as to give you all a better chance to express what you like (or dislike). All I'm going to say is that even though one of the girls clearly had a "bad day at the office", this is a top routine and my rating is a no-brainer:

10 / 10

DotD: yes it's the new girl, Sue

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

mojo2007
yes 10. this is precisely the sexy elegance which only Pans and Legs ever achieved. Way beyond Gossip's range.
mojo

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

A lovely routine to a fine song with everyone looking a million dollars.  These dark costumes I like, a lot!  Already hooked, nine long weeks before, the return of the programme was much anticipated and Flick and the girls didn't disappoint with one of their most memorable dances from the 'Perfect Pans' era.
So this is a 10 with Sue, gorgeous Sue, as my Dotd.

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

PaulF
Girls looking absolutely gorgeous, was going to give the routine a 9 but the ending bumps it up to a 10/10.

DOTD  Now let me see.................................Sue
Paul

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

Well Vin you've certainly started December off with a bang.  If any performance is the classic iconic Pans People dance then this (perhaps along with You're So Vain) is it for me.  Smooth as silk in those wonderful low low cut shiny dark-as-night dresses the Troupe looks utterly dreamy and the choreography is absolutely spot on.  Obviously the song is a classic too and whatever the opposite to a frisbee is then this is it.  Of course it also served as a reassurance that a fantastic new young dancer really was joining the Troupe and represented a shining new talent on our screens.  I have seen all the 10's coming before me and this makes me think very carefully about my scoring and I have indeed considered other dances I have given maximums (as well as less than that) but there is really no way to deny this wonderful 3 minutes its due respect and it must be 10/10  and the star in ascendance with that lovely final smile must be DotD so I'm a Sue man too.

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

A simplistic, yet powerful dance routine that, with the aid of such an emotive backing back, easily mesmerises you. To start off with, each dancer quickly snatches some camera time all to herself, followed by all of them in camera shot, as they sashay across the stage, in elegant black, glittery dresses, that, in an incorrect light, may appear to be made out of bin liners.
The close-up shots of the ladies faces, seem to show the looks that suggest that they're asking the question, that's the title of the Three Degrees track being danced to.

8/10

DotD:-

Ruth

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

Andeebee
Well I say this is more like it

probably the best Pans routine in the whole world ever, ever, ever, ever......

that's it

Scores on ADB's door: 10/10

DOTD: the simply divine and decadently stunning Sue, the last shot of her does it all for me.......simple stylish and oh so sexy 'I have arrived' sly smile - faultless from this perfect Pans princess

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

   Well i just watched it again for about the 5,000th time in my life and as usual this one just tugs at my heart strings every time. I disagree with Andee and a few others, this is not the best Pans performance ever. There are a few technical issues with one of our dancers. Yep Babs having a poor day here. Could be she was out of practice after the long 7 week lay off. Okay, it may not be the best technically but for me its the pinnacle of all routines.
   I love the songs simple lyrics, so beautifully delivered by Shelia and the other two Degrees, the whole thing has that 70s chicken in the basket feel to it. The dresses are another sure fire winner, how could they fail wearing those. This particular TOTPs performance is one i remember from back in the day, primarily because this show was eagerly awaited because of the strike action. I have to say this was the first time i noticed the new girl and she became an instant favourite. The closing 3 or 4 seconds to this were young Sue glides towards the camera remains my favourite scene of any routine ever. Nothing can top that, gets my heart pounding and my lip quivering.

Dancer of the day, The Goddess in the making, `Sue Menhenick`.

Rating, nothing can top this routine for me, so its another max, `10 out of 10`

Oh and thanks Vin, great choice of Pans this week.

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

VintageVideos
You're welcome, Ryan. Thank you for all your comments so far, this one has already broken the record of most '10's on the Pan's People Comments Section, so it's definitely challenging 'Barbados' for the top spot. But it's early days yet, and I'm eagerly awaiting further ratings & comments.

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

JEZ
love the song ,love the dresses ,love the ladies ,love the dance ,in 1974 this routine made a very welcome return to the screens of pans people for us fans ,a 10 from me please vin

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

LOL, I stated 'probably' of course this can change on the next one or the next one

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

Doubleday
We sometimes hear about 'unsuitable' music the dancers had to perform to on TOTP, but this was surely made for them. Will say 9.5 out of 10, and Babs as favourite dancer ... I think in an interview, she said this was one of her favourite costumes and how they all liked it when they felt glamorous.

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

Colm
A delightful routine to a delightful piece of soul music. Elegantly styled, effortlessly applied - all five women are stunning here.

Score: 9.5

DotD: While I love the gorgeous smiles everyone gives to the camera, I'm wowed most by the confidence and the allure of the 18-year-old starlet that is Sue

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

PattiforPM
I have to say I've watched this a few more times and I really don't think Babs's day at the office was that bad at all and although her timing is less than perfect once or twice I don't think it detracts more than a tiny tad from this wonderful dance.  Just saying

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

Gorgeous Daze
This isn't a song I like. I just find it too Radio 2. I do, however, find it sophisticated so it will have to be scampi in the basket for me. At a Berni Inn. And though I'm not as enamoured with the routine as most, it is undeniably a little special. But it's something more for me to admire than be thrilled by. The Pan's equivalent of the best china you get out to impress the relatives. It oozes class and the ladies look breathtaking in their Miss World evening-wear. And smooth is definitely the operative word to describe the dancing. You can sit back and luxuriate in the grace of it all, and we get a good amount of close-ups. The ending is lovely and it gives it a nice symmetry. And Sue...are there really the words? Delicately poised on the verge of womanhood and her exit is surely the ultimate au revoir.

DOTD Sue  9/10

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

Old Grey Whistler
Their dresses are sparkling and so indeed are the dancers.   Nice well synchronised and choreographed routine and I like the song as well.
I will score 9 out of 10 with young Sue as DOTD.

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

VintageVideos
A very hearty welcome to you, Old Grey Whistler! You've chosen just the right moment to score your first rating on the Pan's People Comments Section, a rare chance to make history as your vote keeps the current forum favourite "Supernature" in its position!

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

Lookmacinanger
A classic track with a timeless quality. The routine was a triumph to everyone involved so I salute the people who conceived it and then danced to it, so that it can take its rightful place at the very top of Pans People performances. 10/10, Dotd Sue

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

bucksby
Yep good routine, I am not quite as glowing as perhaps the rest of you are but I like it and the black dresses are great (certainly much better than the christmas Barry white routine I have just watched) Am I right in thinking this is only Sue's 2nd routine? I think Sue looks fab on this and it is great to see her early routines so Sue is DOTD and the routine gets an 8.

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

VintageVideos
bucksby wrote
Am I right in thinking this is only Sue's 2nd routine?
Not quite, it was her third (Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me on 13/06/74 was the 2nd).