WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 08/08/1974

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

Old Bill
Just like OGW says - a performance as sparkling as the frocks. Elegant, refined and so sexy.  I like that.
Are you listening Lady Gaga??? I don't like Lady Gaga.
Just a beautiful dance to a rather beautiful song. And with the sentiment of the song not unfamiliar at the moment, this dance really cheers one up first thing in the morning. I like that.

Cherry's first "Oooowooooh" is a delight. And I'm sure Ruth's "Aaahhhing" behind her hair shortly after. I like oohing and aahing.

I suppose Babs might be a little behind the beat on the odd occasion, but it's not always easy to be bang in sync with the others when you're stuck out on your own. Believe me - I've danced and I know. Mind you, I was rarely in time when I was with the main bunch. Mind you, having said that she's right behind them this time... Anyways, but so what? I like Babs.
And is that a camera encroaching in the bottom left about 2'25"? So what? I like cameras.
And I do like Pans when they've all got long hair like this. I like long hair like this.

And what I really really like, is the thing that Pans do sometimes - which they do at the start and end of this: the individual close up scamper past the camera, as if they're saying "Hi I'm Babs... Hey fellas Cherry here!... Dee Dee's back! .. Hiya it's Ruthie!.. Howdy - Sue again!" back in the day when they really were household names. I love that. Friendly and familiar. I like friendly and familiar.

10/10, and Dee Dee came soooo close. But Sue's gonna be my DotD too. I like Sue.

When will I see this dance again...? In about 2 seconds as it happens - because I really like it.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

VintageVideos
Thank you for your great comment, Old Bill, it really made me smile. And I don't like Lady Gaga either! But I like Babs!
Respect the seven second delay we use

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

Top quality dance to a pretty good song. I think that these were the dresses that upset Mary Whitehouse, so I've given an extra point for that 10/10.
As for Dotd: Didn't the new girl do well, it looks like she'd been there for years. Sue it is.
Still living in 1979

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

BeautifulBabs
Likes:
Sue with long hair, Sue's performance still as a newbie and looks to the camera
song
choreography really works with the song.
dresses
camera work
backdrop
a classic which I never mind seeing repeated

Dislikes :
Nothing really
maybe a bit too polished
Jimmy intro may prevent repeats

Love the Babs close up when she does the heart moves and she is right on the beat in this where others are ahead.
so Babs dotd. As for the mark, I'm surprised this has so many tens- it's not my all time fave but I completely agree great day at the office girls.

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

VintageVideos
BeautifulBabs wrote
Love the Babs close up when she does the heart moves and she is right on the beat in this where others are ahead.
It's amazing how you always seem to spot a detail that I haven't noticed yet.
Respect the seven second delay we use

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

BeautifulBabs wrote
so Babs dotd.
Well they say love is blind. Really DOTD Babs ! Maybe you looked away between the 1.03 minutes and 1.09 minute mark. Never have i seen a dancer have such a poor 6 seconds

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

PattiforPM
I do think BB picked up the Rose-coloured glasses from the bedside table this morning but I still think you're being a bit hard on Mrs Powell here Ryan.  She does lose her way a bit but I think the reason it is so noticeable is that the routine is full of perfect forms so errors are more obvious perhaps.  I don't think it's up there with Rosie's near-fall in Nights on Broadway and Andi in Green River and Louise in Backstabbers in rehearsal mode for example (I know rehearsals are not really fair but we do get to see them and the others perform better in these instances)

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

LOL, you cant really include rehearsals, the dancers were just in practice mode after all and probably giving only 80%. The Rosie thing in `Nights On Broadway` was a half a second stumble. A lot different to a 5 or 6 second period during a routine in which Babs noticeably loses her way. There were a few other instances during this where she also was late on turns. Put it this way, if Babs is collecting a DOTD for this then id dread to see her on a bad day.

I tried BB but I think he's got me cornered

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

BeautifulBabs
I think Ryan and myself think Babs performance here was exceptional for different reasons and we both awarded a ten so no disagreement I say.......
I explained in my post why I awarded this to Babs so dont really have anything to add

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

Mikey
This is obviously a forum favourite but for me there are some routines i enjoy more for various reasons. Thats not to say this is not a very good performance, it is, the outfits are glamourous and daring, the set perfect for this style of dance, and the choreography first rate. The main issue for me is the song i find it pretty sad or at the very least ambiguous, so therefore i see the performance as a little too upbeat, perhaps Ruth captures this sadness a little better than the others.

Babs is out of step a couple of times which does not help matters, but the other ladies are in fine form, so therefore i'll give it a 9/10. DOTD Ruth

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 1974

PansLegs
[compact critique] Another one of those performances where everything seems to come together in perfect harmony for the song in question. Elegance and class abounds. 10/10 DotD Sue

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 08/08/1974

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 08/08/1974

Dancer
This is truly a beautiful song from a fantastic girl group.  I have copious Three Degrees albums and they never date as this record states.  Each line is a question and it really deserved to be No.1.  The girls looked absolutely beautiful in their dresses and even they said they loved this routine in one of their interviews as they looked so "nice".  To me they all looked so sexy.  Loved the way the girls hair had been styled.  I will award this dance a big ten out of ten as the interpretation was beautiful and best dancer awarded to Ruth.

Re: WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN -- 08/08/1974

What I nice way for Pan's People to return to Top of the Pops. What a silly strike, we missed some chances for some wonderful routines, though I don't think the strike was that bad as our friend with the VCR would have had more tape in the later part of 1974 and some of the very best Pan's People routines were saved!
I like the start of the routine, but really I'm not a fan of the song, but I do think that the routine is a very good one and that you can really tell the ladies wanted to make a good return to the show. I must say that the new girl certainly does an amazing job on this routine and the ladies look absolutely beautiful.

Rating: 10/10
DOTD: Sue