WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE - TOTP

Old Grey Whistler
WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE - TOTP
Original Broadcast Date:  03/12/1981
Troupe: Zoo
Dancers: Jeannie , Julie and Sharon
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0psJ2m7kMR0

We live in a complicated world and there are many questions that I often ask myself.
Why do fools fall in love?
Why does this song title not include a question mark?
Why did Michael Hurll deem Legs & Co surplus to requirements?
What is the meaning of life?
Why did Diana Ross agree to take a penalty at the World Cup opening ceremony?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBnI9Ib4BWQ

Diana Ross may lack a little in terms of footballing skills, but she does hold what I believe to be the unique distinction of having provided music for five different TOTP dance troupes, from the Gojo’s to Zoo.   If we were including the 1950’s in our Number One’s poll then this song would feature, as ‘Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers’ originally topped the charts with it in 1956.
This show was broadcast over a month after Legs & Co had been ousted but still a fortnight before Sue's poignant finale.
At this stage, I think Zoo were still trying to build their own identity with some diverse early dances, where their general look was quite different to their predecessors. However this particular performance could easily have been done by any of the other troupes.

The dancers all get a fair amount of camera time, as you would expect when there is only a trio, and I enjoyed Julie's humour during her solo bit. The lighting is a bit dingy, with too many shadows over their faces, and the floor space is minimal giving the feeling of a club setting. The audience in close vicinity add to the club feel but they do get in the way somewhat. The choreography is classic Colby and there is nothing wrong with that.
I guess the biggest problem that I have with Zoo, is that no matter how well they performed I find myself wishing that they were Legs & Co. Having said that I find this to be an enjoyable if not top notch dance, and so I will score this  8 out of 10.

Re: WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE - TOTP

and there was me wishing our host was going to give us another visit to the Zoo. Maybe on a future outing when i can unveil a Max or two. As for this, well i find the record a bit twee for my liking, but the three girl dancers do make for pleasant if unspectacular viewing. My score rating is 7.25 out of 10.

Re: WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE - TOTP

Old Grey Whistler wrote
and I enjoyed Julie's humour during her solo bit.
Its a Julie, but not the 'Bees Knees' Julie. Give me Brown over Harris any day.

Re: WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE - TOTP

and there was me wishing our host was going to give us another visit to the Zoo. Maybe on a future outing when i can unveil a Max or two.
Have patience my friend and you will eventually be rewarded!

Re: WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE - TOTP

Everything'sRosie
My initial reaction was, why are Barbara Dixon and Sharron Davies dancing with a Julie Brown lookalike on Top of the Pops? The three girl line-up might be a nod to the Supremes I suppose, the frocks too, but of course this is Diana Ross solo. The dance is pleasant enough, it had a nice retro feel to it, but not very memorable. I like the leg extension by Julie, and the "I just about got away with that" smile afterwards, but this was not one of Zoo's finest outings. I'll go to 6/10

Re: WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE - TOTP

Mikey
This is Flick playing it safe with the "new troupe", no contemporary urban dance styles required this time for this all female 60s throwback. Speaking of playing it safe Diana Ross can do far better than this, the beautiful Theme From Mahogany or the classic Love Hangover to name but two, no this effort is a wee bit phoned in unfortunately. With an ever changing line up and styles to contend with rating Zoo is likely to be tricky, but its a happy enough performance and fits the brief quite well, so i'll not be too measly and give it a 6/10.

Re: WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE - TOTP

Suefan
This reminds me of a few Musikladen dance performances minus the see-through outfits.  Its an undemanding dance to an undemanding song, but a shame that the ladies were not afforded a tad more floor space and that the great unwashed were not kettled out of eye-shot.  The lighting could have also been a little brighter as well but the dancers bring a healthy dose of personality to the floor so I'm scoring this one as a 7.

Re: WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE - TOTP

Gorgeous Daze
A considerate all-girl first choice from our host to cushion the jolt into the Zoo. And a Supremely appropriate threesome in glamorous emerald green. Acclimatizing in these early weeks these sporadic new faces felt like impostors, but fair's fair, it's not their fault and this is a warm and breezy bit of entertainment for the cold hearts who the darkness surrounding them inadvertently creates a metaphor for. As if performed by a tribute troupe it's classic Colby choreography in tune with the retro sound.

They perform well but that they're still finding their feet is in one moment turned literally to their humorous advantage in the hands of Julie and Jeannie, and it's well-executed too. It's no secret that I share the opinion there's a more precious Jule - she's that loved I think it could eventually escalate to a OFTD Jules @Dorne knock-out! - but the bombshell shines enough in her central role, though I do think it was with the core sex appeal of Tight Fit where she really found her metier. A shame there that after launching with great success from the jungle they disappeared Amelia Earhart-like after a stopover on Fantasy Island. At least Sharon's star was smelling of Roses years on...but enough digression. I can't dream of what Jeannie was up to anyway.

On a hiding to nothing these girls dun good. 8/10

Re: WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE - TOTP

VintageVideos
Yep this is Musikladen level but without the added bonus that only ML could offer. A far cry from the class of Legs & Co., it's the kind of entertainment that has become so common today: unsubtle, effect-seeking, a bit raunchy, but instantly forgettable. The first 30 seconds were ok, after that it became boring and monotonous. You may suspect it by now: I don't like it.

3 / 10

Re: WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE - TOTP

For me a better question is "Why do usually lucid individuals fall in love?"  Anyway here I am faced with trying to be unbiased in delivering a review of the Troupe who replaced my favourite dancers in the whole World.  Can it be done?  Well I'll try and here goes:

   The setting is a bit too cramped as others have stated but the outfits are very attractive and I love the colour.  The dance is very competently performed and does indeed have some recognizable Colby touches and style.  There is a "but" coming as you may be able to tell.  I do not find myself drawn into the performance at all and so it seems sterile and a bit hollow to me.  This version of the song is not great but I think the biggest problem is mine.  I feel no connection to these Dancers (although I must say Sharon comes closest here) and so ultimately I have failed in my task.  Sorry 5/10

  (I will keep keep trying to be less Zooist though so please keep presenting your evidence OGW - after you have re-aired Mr John Denver of course)

Re: WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE - TOTP

The Rubberband Man
It's like Diana was booked for the show, but only her backing singers turned up. Not being sure what to do, they assured everyone they could dance, spent 30 minutes rehearsing a routine in secret, and then came on stage to do this.
The dresses are lovely and there's plenty of smiles from the trio, but the dance is nothing special.

I'll compare this to when three girls from Ruby Flipper danced to "Silly LoveSongs", and everyone stopped what they were doing to watch as it was amazing.
"Why Do Fools Fall In Love" doesn't have the same impact.

Re: WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE - TOTP

Old Grey Whistler
Well I wasn't sure how many people would respond to a Zoo routine but we got to nine ratings quite quickly so thanks very much to those people. We just need that elusive tenth rating now to send us over the edge...

Re: WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE - TOTP

PansLegs
This is tricky as I know next to nothing about Zoo but then I suppose that doesn't stop me from marking the visual accompaniment to this record. The first major negative factors here are the Michael Hurll party feel era - I hate it. Also the whoopiness and general arm flailing of the crowd not only obscure the view of the dancers but detract from their dance moves. The hand-held camera work is irritating too. The three dancers don't do a bad job but I don't think the choreography is anything special here. 5 at most.

Re: WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE - TOTP

AC/PD
Turn the lights up! A touch dingy and rudimentary, the main aim of this rather straightforward routine seems to be to familiarise the viewers with a mere portion of the Zoo dance academy via close-ups in much the same way afforded to Legs & Co. in their early weeks. The moves certainly fit the song which is an emotion-lite Motown number living in the '80's. The  best moment is the humorous expression exchange which emerges from the abortive leg lift but that incident hits the spot far more than the overall dance does.
5/10