WISHING ON A STAR - [February]

WISHING ON A STAR Dance number 87 by Legs & Co
Performed by Rose Royce and reaching number 3 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 16/02/78 Duration of dance --  2.35 mins
Dancers --  Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 83           Sue 80
Lulu 81               Gill 79
Rosie 81             Patti 79
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x242xyi_legs-co-all-right-now-totp-tx-23-02-1978_creation

  You got to hand it to Flick, an art-deco set design for a Totps dance is surely something quite unique. But it certainly works and adds a certain ambiance to this delightful performance. Although i do like every song Rose Royce did, some of their promo vids were rather bland, this on the other hand was quite the opposite and as always been a favourite of mine.
   Theres quite a few visions of loveliness in this its hard to pick a favourite. But if i had to pick it would be the graceful scene of Sue & Patti each gliding up the ramps right at the start. I should have chose that for my screen grab. I like it when the three girls come into view, two of them with full curly tops and Patti is holding her pose. Sue then treats us to a elegant 1080 turn then almosts collides with Pauline, but they both skillfully avoid contact. Another great scene follows as Sue maneuvers her self up the far ramp looking every inch the dance goddess she is. Another 1080 turn from Sue then the four girls move on down, nice close ups of their faces, note Lulu & Pauline both having glances at the studio monitor.
  For fans not familiar with Legs work coming up, well there's even better to come. Yes a few duds also, but i have to score this fine piece of work heavily. I cant remember the last time i gave a maximum, but i will here, 10 out of 10.
   Dancer of the day, well its another no-brainer for me, the quite magnificent Sue gets my vote.

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

Andeebee
this one will have to grow on me, Sue looks amazing absolutely amazing, Patti is knockout (but ruins it with the needless ramp descending gurning at the end), criminally short, the other three are wasted in this routine.....alot of ramp upping and downing, lovely twirl from Sue (lovely close up's)

MMM great song, but gets a 8, too short and a lot of distractions

DOTD, Sue the amazingly sexy Sue.

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

AC/PD
This routine kicks off by revealing the source of Paperboyplod's avatar which I always suspected was from a Christmas routine, bit now know better.
This is a routine of elegance and poise, which suits the song perfectly: no need to go stomping around in this one.
The set does look ultra-stylish and is accentuated by decent direction, with interesting camera angles. For instance, there's one moment where Sue's framed from a distance by the Art Deco set.
It must have been pretty tough to move gracefully up and down some pretty steep ramps whilst wearing high-heels, retaining poise and looking into the camera : Health & Safety would have had a fit in the modern era.
Love the way that Pauline, Rosemary and Gill suddenly emerge about 40 seconds in.
DOTD is the balletic Sue.
Markwise, thelook of the set pushes this up from an 8 to a 9.
9.

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

Another super routine which fits the song very well while the costumes remind me a little of The Shuffle, but then that's probably just me.  I love that floor spin from the other four but for me Sue steals the show with the quiet serenity she brings to this performance and so she is my pick for DOTD.  And overall I'd say 9, leaving me with a little elbow room for even better dances to come.

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

A gorgeous routine to a gorgeous song; flawlessly executed with perfect choreography.  One which should be rightly held in high regard.

My score: 10

My dancer of the day: Sue - absolutely breathtaking; if you're looking in, Sue, I regard this routine as one of the finest moments in your dancing career. To be honest, Patti must receive the same prestigious plaudit; and Lulu, Pauline and Rosie's vital supporting presence should never be overlooked too.

Other observation: As well as Suefan's mention of "The Shuffle", the costumes for me recall those from "Silver Star".

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

Paperboyplod
There's a strong opening with Patti's little solo performance, with the others not far behind her, Sue also gets a solo dance, a star decoration looms large in the background, presumably that's what everybody's supposed to be wishing on, again bridal costumes are put to good usage in this routine.

7/10

DotD:-

Patti

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

A smooth performance with much to commend it and for me this song, while appealing, is not all that easy to imagine choreographing.  The ladies look great and I agree with SueFan's connection with the Shuffle outfits.  I'm not quite as keen as everyone else on the set, which is a bit too much like a construction kit for my liking but the ramps and platforms do suit the style of the dance I agree.  DotD is a hard choice for me as I love most of Patti's performance but I have to submit in the end to Sue's consummate skill and style and give the award once again to the Goddess.  8/10 for me overall and one last item: if anyone dares cheekily to refer to Patti's lovely features ever again as "gurning" then I will have no choice but to mobilize the Canadian Special Forces (and I know them each personally) and act in accordance with International Natural Law.

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

Right ive got to go and check out this gurning, something i missed in my intro !

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

Egremont, it seems, is the place
To be seen with a gurn on your face,
But in W12, why it isn't allowed,
No, not even the merest trace!

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

I don't really like routines where the girls have to look too serious because the song is slow or sad and there are 2 perms in evidence. I know I'm much more of a pan fan but I will be giving some legs 10s just not to this.

Dancer of the day Sue
Stu

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

Stu
It's all very elegant, but at times it just seemed a little bit clumsy to me (I can hear Ryan's cries of derision from here), they looked a little unsteady coming down the steep ramp and I may be wrong but at one point it looked like Sue almost banged into Pauline. The girls look beautiful, and the top performers for me are Sue and Patti, with Rosie also getting a thumbs up for maintaining her beautiful smile throughout, but overall it's not really one for me... sorry.

6.5/10

DOTD Patti

Stuey

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

B-Babs, please continue in your new venture of assessing and scoring Legs & Co routines, and feel free to visit old dances too.

Stuey, your correct, there were cries of derision from me, but i respect your opinion and no-longer challenge other members when i feel they have got it wrong

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

Old Bill
Gurning?!?! Patti's pouting is always a right proper sight for sore eyes!

I thought I wasn't going to like this one much - it being a slowy, which can sometimes look clumsy I guess. There were a couple of wobbles but nothing much - and Sue nearly did knock Pauline for six as she scampered from ramp to ramp but for me that just goes to show how good they are coping with little mishaps that are bound to occur from time to time.

Anyways, turns out it's lovely and a definite grower too. Elegance is the word here. Straight from the start - Sue and Patti gentle ascending the ramps is a vision to behold, perfectly in step with each other and the music and the shot perfectly proportioned. And then just as i'm wondering where the others are - my wish is granted and up they pop! What a lovely surprise. And so it goes on.... the whole feel of the dance fits the song perfectly.

But as it's a slowy and there's not much Lulu-camera time can't get max points. So having said all that it's gonna be an 8/10 from me.

The DoD has to be Sue. A masterclass in style and elegance and dancing loveliness.

Mind you, my best Lulu grab (which i'm having trouble taking my eyes off!) also includes Patti showing just how sexy gurning can be!

Jeremiah 31:13

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

Paperboyplod
Whatever's happening to Patti in the screenie, Lulu looks rather concerned, maybe Patti's stumbled & hurt herself.

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

PattiforPM
PBP don't you start too, I thought we were buddies.  I would title this screen cap "excruciated sensuality"

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

Andeebee
I have many suggestions for that pic, but must keep it clean.....good job it hasn't appeared in caption comp (cos no-one will enter it)

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

VintageVideos
I really like this one, I think it's much better than the video. The contrast between Sue's solo dancing and the rest of the girls performing together is doing really well IMO.
My rating is 9 / 10 and as Dancer of the Day I've picked the obvious choice: Sue.

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

Andeebee
wise man Vin

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

Not a favourite,but they all look very elegant,and the dancing in parts is beautiful.I like the set with the stars and the 'ramps to heaven'.I'll give it 7/10.
Sue does most of the lovely dancing so she gets my vote.

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

Lookmacinanger
It wasn’t the easiest song to design a routine for I imagine, but it’s pulled off with grace and charm and Sue is wonderful as leading lady. 8/10

12