WISHING ON A STAR - [February]

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

Adorable Gillusion
Certainly graceful, but too boring, the only highlight in this one was Patti going weird at the end, don't know what expression she was looking for but it didn't turn out quite right  just a 4/10 from me.

DOTD....Patti cos she made me laugh...Hope that's not her sex face

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

PattiforPM
AG tread carefully

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

Adorable Gillusion
Sorry mate, but Patti made me lol when I watched it earlier.

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

PattiforPM
No worries AG I'm just always pro-Patti.  These Dancers entertain in many different ways and there's nothing wrong with humour.  As we've heard from Sue and via Say When from Pauline they laugh at themselves at times too

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

Sue gets the spotlight on this one and my vote for dotd, (love Rosie's smile when she emerges at the start).

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

L&C4me
9/10 - DOTD Patti

Rose Royce sounds heavenly in this really nice song. This super dance routine enhances it considerably.

I enjoy the scenes where angels Sue and Patti perform quite captivating side-stepping movements as they gracefully ascend.

Patti goes all out with her expressive bewitching poses as she decends with Rosie, Lulu and Pauline.
Jim

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

I don't know but yet again we have another great routine by the ladies. This is the beautiful song " Wishing on a Star " by Rose Royce. The routine is done by using two large ramps. And so at the start we see the beautiful Patti at the top of the first ramp. Posing like a elegant statue and then coming down this and crossing over to the other ramp in a elegant way. While Patti is crossing over. the next dancer starts up the first ramp and this is Sue. who from then on dominates the hole routine. With grace and elegant dance movements. We have her all make spins of elegance We can say that Sue and Patti are on fantastic form through out this routine. Not discounting Lulu, Rosie and Pauline who do a wonderful job in this routine.

So the Dotd will even go to two dancer Patti or Sue, but as I said I will give it to Suewho is spellbinding.

So Ryan like you I will give it 10 out of 10.

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

bucksby
the set matches the song perfectly. Beautiful routine. Sue & Patti look great but Sue just edges DOTD for me. A 9 for the routine.

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

Gorgeous Daze
This is one of those songs that I once would have dismissed with a wave of the hand as slushy and boring. And now I think it's beautiful. Tonally, the routine is near monochrome. And this helps give it an elegance worthy of the song. The night-time background and range of ornamental stars and the geometric set with ramps is also tasteful and effective. And I needn't say it really but the floaty diaphanous skirts and sequined tops are lovely. These costumes and the lightness of the dancing all convey a mood of walking-on-air through the bliss of being in love.

Sue and Patti are the chosen stars. Perhaps slightly too much so as it's a little obvious the others are mere supporting cast. But that quibble aside, this is an excellent one and finely executed with the moves perfectly tailored to the song and performed to the letter. Patti is supremely graceful as she flits about the ramps with fairy footsteps, sometimes turning back with the warmest of smiles as if the invite us to follow. But it's Sue once again for DOTD. A flawless and highly sensitive performance in which she demonstrates once again she's the Queen of the spins.

9.5/10

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

Doc
I'm surprised no one mentioned Pauline's little slip where she can be seen ducking down a little too late to avoid the camera (unless there was another dark haired girl down there of course). She's just to the right of Sue.

The emergence was a great idea and works really well.

I like the variations that the 'mechano' set allows and it works well with the song 9/10.

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

Old Grey Whistler
This is a nice performance. The ramps really look quite steep and I would have thought difficult to ascend and descend  gracefully, especially while wearing heals, but the girls manage it with aplomb. I think possibly Patti over does the pouting a little on this occasion, but this is very much Sue's show and I would say was one of her finest ever performances and so Sue gets DOTD and it is 8.5 out of 10.

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

Who's That Hurll
Flick must have thought it would be too easy for Sue and Patti to tackle Rose Royce's ballad, as she's loaded the set up with all sorts of pitfalls, like ramps and strange looking metal structures. No such problems for two consummate professionals, who provide the main focus as they descend and ascend the scenery and Sue is in her element as she's able to provide plenty of pirouettes in her angelic white costume. 8/10 DOTD Sue.

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - 1978

Mikey
Well this should get high marks just for the song alone, er if only it were that easy. The set is an elaborate one with the main feature the 2 art deco ramps providing the majority of the staging. Sue seems to have been given the central role here, and Patti also is more prominent than Lulu, Pauline and Rosie, perhaps Flick initially thought of this as a duo but did not want to leave out the others, who knows.

Well the routine itself is quite a strange one, but beautiful at the same time, the ramps are put to good use and Sue seems to have a command of the routine and moves from ramp to ramp with the gracefulness we have come to expect. The only part i was not as keen on was the other dancers descending at the end, it just looked a bit ungainly but maybe thats just me being picky.

Not quite top drawer but still a worthy 9/10 DOTD Sue

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - [February]

An elegant and beautiful performance from our girls in this routine, to a slow and dreamy number that I really like. There are two main performers in this, mainly Sue, and also Patti, with the other three girls putting in splendid supporting roles, all going up and down ramps, with a few good close ups and all looking stunning. (Lulu looks beautiful, I think this is the point from now on where she really starts to blossom). This must have been a fairly difficult routine, but the coordination and timing is pretty much immaculate, with only one near miss that I could see!

Rating 9/10

DOTD Sue

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - [February]

Dancer
This is a most beautiful song.  I was a huge fan of Rose Royce (Gwen Dickey) and the album which this is lifted off "In Full Bloom" is fantastic.  As soon as I heard this song for the first time I loved it and it did take a while for it to go up the charts too.  It really lingered.  The album version is of course better.

The dance I think is perfect for the song.  It would have had to have been a graceful dance to replicate the song and both Sue and Patti did it justice with the others giving an equally impressive performance in the middle.  I will award this dance nine out of ten and the best dancer awarded to Sue.

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - [February]

Everything'sRosie
Wishing On A Star is one of those sumptuous records which effortlessly passes the test of time, it's so rich and textured and sung so earnestly one has to stop and listen. So too this Legs dance. Everything is in place to compliment the song, and to whoever decided on the art-decco set I tip my hat, Sir/madam, an inspired choice. A less cultured soul might have overdone the star theme, but here subtlety is adhered to and taste triumphs over ostentation.

All five girls look absolutely stunning in those garments, and, dare I say it, full of Eastern promise. Again my compliments to the dress designer. The choreography is gentle and shorn of complexity, and much use is made of the inclines and declines from the platforms. I like the surprise of the hidden Lulu, Pauline and Rosie suddenly appearing in the middle of the set too, clever and effective. So much going on. A routine that stands up to repeat viewings.

10/10 and Sue for DotD.

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - [February]

The Rubberband Man
Legs & Co ramp it up for this superb song from Rose Royce. The opening line, sung by Gwen Dickey before the music starts, is just so haunting beautiful.
The set has an Art Deco design to it which exudes a sense of glamour. The costumes are a light, wispy, but chic style that radiates a sophistication that’s matched by Sue’s poise in Doc’s pic above. The dance sequence is the perfect complement to this song.

It’s a Rolls Royce performance to a Rose Royce record.

8/10
DOTD: Sue

Re: WISHING ON A STAR - [February]

brandonb
10/10 DOTD: Sue

Another fantastic routine. Love the costumes (with one reservation) and the set. Generally speaking I'm not a fan of slow numbers for Legs - preferring the more dance oriented up tempo disco type thing. But this routine is an exception. The song is nice but after hearing it several times it can get melancholic so I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of it. Those ramps look like a health and safety nightmare and probably wouldn't be allowed nowadays. The girls deal with them as if they are nothing, although I bet there may have been some nerves as the chances of a stumble were probably high. Fortunately that didn't happen (at least not when filmed).

I don't mind Patti's 'gurning' at the end - she is leading down the ramp so probably felt the need for extra animation - without attention being drawn to it I wouldn't really have noticed it as being a bit OTT and she looks wonderful as ever anyway though for this dance Sue stole the DOTD.

So can I find anything wrong with this routine? Well only one thing really bothers me and it's a costume thing. The little bit of glittery string being used presumably to hold those skirts up really bothers me. Cutting in just above their tummy buttons it looks wrong to me spoiling the line of the otherwise perfect outfits for this number. I always wonder if it couldn't have been incorporated into the top so it became the bottom of the top instead of cutting their stomachs in half. But this is a minor silly issue - so doesn't loose this routine any marks from me - it just annoys a tiny bit when I watch this routine.
12