`Waiting For A Train` Zoo routine not shown on BBC4 due to the fact its Yewtree'd.

`Waiting For A Train` Zoo routine not shown on BBC4 due to the fact its Yewtree'd.

Just a bit of a shout out to the Zoo routine `Waiting For A Train` that has wont be shown on BBC4 due to the fact of the guy who introduced it. Its been a long time favourite of mine and its sad to think a better visual version will not become available. It includes long time Zoo stalwarts Eddie Kemp & Julie Brown who are in great form. But fans of 1980s glamour girls will also easily recognize Corrine Russel who was more closely linked around this time as being one of Benny Hill's Angels. I never knew she was that flexible, the standing splits she performs is quite a move, dont you agree. It does sometimes irk me when usually non-dance fans criticize Zoo. They were very talented dancers and i think they capture the song title quite well in this.

Anyway, click the link and watch the performance and let me know what you think of it. Maybe you disagree with me and think its nothing much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUIe8eZ9gl0

Re: `Waiting For A Train` Zoo routine not shown on BBC4 due to the fact its Yewtree'd.

Everything'sRosie
I like it, very imaginitive. There's no doubting the members of ZOO can dance, acrobatically so when required. The problem is, Julie Brown apart, they never come across as anything other than session dancers, which effectively is just what they are. We never get to know, or be enchanted by, them on a weekly basis thus they can come across as screen dressing and as instantly replaceable as a piece of scenery. Bit harsh perhaps, but I think that was the intention.

Re: `Waiting For A Train` Zoo routine not shown on BBC4 due to the fact its Yewtree'd.

Yes i agree with your reply ER and im pleased you like the routine in question. Id love to see a better copy. As for Zoo in general, after experiencing them this past year in real terms as it were (though not strictly true as a lot of shows have been Yewtree'd), on the whole ive warmed to them. I look at it this way. Once Legs & Co's time on the show ended, albeit way to soon, at least we got a further two years or so of dancers on the show performing choreographed dance routines. In other words for dance fans, we got something else to help dispel the darkness after Legs demise. Okay they were not always to our taste, but did produce some fine routines and for my money WFAT was one of them.

Re: `Waiting For A Train` Zoo routine not shown on BBC4 due to the fact its Yewtree'd.

Doc
A routine that made me think this Zoo lot might be quite good after all and then they were gone.

Re: `Waiting For A Train` Zoo routine not shown on BBC4 due to the fact its Yewtree'd.

Dancer
I have a copy of this in my collection - not sure of the quality though.  I really liked this routine and it was a shame it was not televised.

Re: `Waiting For A Train` Zoo routine not shown on BBC4 due to the fact its Yewtree'd.

Gorgeous Daze
Yes this is an excellent showcase for Zoo with many points of interest inspired by a great song in what was a cracking chart around this time. And doesn't Julie look especially lovely in white?

Re: `Waiting For A Train` Zoo routine not shown on BBC4 due to the fact its Yewtree'd.

CoffeeThing
Good routine, thanks Ryan for highlighting it. We newer boys don't always realise that some great routines have been pulled. Good point ER, it's the lack of them being a proper troupe and the getting to know them. Shame really as they clearly were talented. A bigger shame that we keep losing the routines now to the ban.
This week, I are be mostly drinking piccolos

Re: `Waiting For A Train` Zoo routine not shown on BBC4 due to the fact its Yewtree'd.

Yes cheers guys for the reply's and im pleased you liked the routine. True some of the Zoo mob are not easily named, but some of them are and have become quite established favourites of mine, with Julie topping that list.

Re: `Waiting For A Train` Zoo routine not shown on BBC4 due to the fact its Yewtree'd.

SuPaLu
Thanks Ryan i totally agree about Waiting On A Train and Zoo generally.Another dancer i've taken a shine to is Debbie 'Foxy' Fox.She's a great mover and looks great too.
Here she is dancing to Baby Jane with Eddie Kemp and Maddie with whom she joined Hot Gossip on tour in 1983.

Here she is again with Eddie in Let's Go Dancing.

Re: `Waiting For A Train` Zoo routine not shown on BBC4 due to the fact its Yewtree'd.

Doc
She stood out on the Thursday show, very pretty, not sure about the 'big' hair though although I suppose it's very '80's'.

Re: `Waiting For A Train` Zoo routine not shown on BBC4 due to the fact its Yewtree'd.

AC/PD
The dance act certainly fits well with the music, particularly the 'bang up to date' robotic moments (although I prefer to watch Gill's two mechanical moments from '81). Zoo certainly seem not be trying so hard as they did to their detriment when arriving on the scene in late '81, with - ironic to this number - a more natural flow about them. However, if I never see another cartwheel though, it won't be a moment too soon.
I remember Corrine Russell with a more 'set' hairstyle from the Kenny Everett Television Show a year or two down the line but the lithesome Julie Brown still shows her worth by connecting with the audience.

Re: `Waiting For A Train` Zoo routine not shown on BBC4 due to the fact its Yewtree'd.

Colm
Another one of those busy routines which looks like it was a nightmare to choreograph and where there's lots to take in... my favourite bits are:

- Dee Iva and friends' robotics

- Julie B and Sandy's pairing-up in the first half of the routine, they work well in sync together

- Corrine's bending her leg up to her head (there's bound to be a more technical term for this move, but I can't think of it at the moment)

- The flips one of the male dancers - perhaps Clive Clark? - does on stage

- "ONE!" - Eddie (nice jumper btw) doing his Biggles impersonation

- "TWO!" - Julie B's lovely smile to the camera, one of the most naturally-conveyed facial gestures within a TOTP dance routine

Re: `Waiting For A Train` Zoo routine not shown on BBC4 due to the fact its Yewtree'd.

Colm wrote
 Corrine's bending her leg up to her head (there's bound to be a more technical term for this move, but I can't think of it at the moment)
Can i also throw into the mix Sandy Borne's gymnastic moves which culminated in her falling into the splits. Proper splits too, not pretend ones that dancers from yesteryear offered.

Re: `Waiting For A Train` Zoo routine not shown on BBC4 due to the fact its Yewtree'd.

PattiForPM
On the other hand the Whooping is utterly on steroids here and makes one hanker for the more physiological excitement of the past

Re: `Waiting For A Train` Zoo routine not shown on BBC4 due to the fact its Yewtree'd.

Not a fan then P4PM ! Yes id rather be watching or should i say hearing that other TOTPs dancing group who could also whoop with the best. Yup Legs & Co got whooping down to fine art form in 81

Sorry I gave the wrong impression Ryan: I do like this performance although my favourite is still Anita in Hill St Blues and I do like some of the Zoo performances even if I'd give both arms and both legs for an retrospective extension to the Legs& Co tenure at their expense

Re: `Waiting For A Train` Zoo routine not shown on BBC4 due to the fact its Yewtree'd.

CoffeeThing
PattiForPM wrote
Ooh not good, that would leave you stumped when it came time to vote in here.
This week, I are be mostly drinking piccolos

Re: `Waiting For A Train` Zoo routine not shown on BBC4 due to the fact its Yewtree'd.

Who's That Hurll
And for Booker Newberry III's 'Love Town', who has Flick sent up front? It's 'Downtown' Julie Brown playing on the left side and the sultry Corrine Russell on the right. My God, it doesn't get better than that!
WTH

Re: `Waiting For A Train` Zoo routine not shown on BBC4 due to the fact its Yewtree'd.

Doc wrote
A routine that made me think this Zoo lot might be quite good after all and then they were gone.
It made me wonder why the blasted train was late!

Re: `Waiting For A Train` Zoo routine not shown on BBC4 due to the fact its Yewtree'd.

The Rubberband Man
This is exactly what the platforms were like at Crewe yesterday when I was waiting for the 11:34 to Manchester.