Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Answer: No it wasn't.

Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Answer: No it wasn't.

Following a discussion about how Spinning Rock Boogie and Do You Feel Like We Do survived long enough to end up on the tape given to Pauline when she left, it was suggested that they were both pre recorded inserts and Do You Feel may have been recorded the week before on the same tape and that tape survived longer than the shows. I decided to look a bit closer at Do You Feel and whilst the quality is poor the guy at the back in the red jumper looks a bit like DLT and appears to be holding something (a microphone?) in one hand. DLT presented the Spinning Rock Boogie show and Kid Jensen the Do You Feel show.
If you see this Sue, did you ever record a dance a week early, in particular the Peter Frampton routine?
Still living in 1979

Re: Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Sue can you help?

Doc
Further possible evidence, if I’ve seen the right footage, the studio for Kid’s debut seemed to have coloured bulbs arranged in squares and triangles and I can’t see anything like that in the Legs performance.
Still living in 1979

Re: Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Sue can you help?

Doc
Still living in 1979

Re: Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Sue can you help?

PattiforPM
I'm not sure Doc.  I had assumed that Mr Watkins saved performances himself as by the time of Legs & Co he was already used to giving the Dancers retirement tapes such as the Cherry Tape and he certainly knew a lot about the Beeb wiping policy I imagine but I could be wrong...   I can't see any definite evidence on the SRB and DYFLID performances and I can see the guy in red but it's too fuzzy to tell if he is a host IMHO.  I would say the performance recorded a week early would be a major departure and a very long shot, especially given the unknown chart positions.  As you say, Sue  could certainly help us here

Re: Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Sue can you help?

Doc
I tend to prefer the ‘taken from the VT collection’ and hadn’t even thought of this possibility until it was suggested today. But if I’ve seen the correct Showaddywaddy performance that survives from the show the set is different from the one seen in the Legs performance and in the Legs dance they show views from several angles so there would be a high chance of the show’s presenter  and  the studio decorations appearing in shot and I can see no one like The Kid and that guy does in a very fuzzy way resemble DLT. It would be an extremely rare event if it was done but it was the Leg’s naming show and the shown performance was prerecorded, so it may have been seen to be a good idea to have them actually perform at the event.
Also if the recent BBC programme about the VT tapes is correct Grant Watkins got the push before 1981 for spending too much time on the Christmas tapes, although they may have bent the truth because it sounded better for the show.
Still living in 1979

Re: Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Sue can you help?

Doc
Can anyone confirm if the Showaddywaddy performance from the show is the one with the square of lights behind them? (Those behind Kid in the picture).
Still living in 1979

Re: Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Sue can you help?

VintageVideos
I don't have a copy of Showaddywaddy's TOTP performance from 18/11/76 but what I do have is a copy of the repeat performance on 02/12/1976, of which credible sources say it is a repeat from 18/11/76, and the lights on the back of the stage look like the ones behind the Kid. I'm not sure if this proves anything, though.

Re: Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Sue can you help?

Mikey
Not sure this is much help but the drumkit behind Gill looks like the one used by Showaddywaddy, it could just be a prop kit of course.

Re: Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Sue can you help?

Good spot! The line above it might well be light shining.of the bulbs (turned off) in the square.
Gill is far too distracting in that shot!
Still living in 1979

Re: Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Sue can you help?

VintageVideos wrote
I don't have a copy of Showaddywaddy's TOTP performance from 18/11/76 but what I do have is a copy of the repeat performance on 02/12/1976, of which credible sources say it is a repeat from 18/11/76, and the lights on the back of the stage look like the ones behind the Kid. I'm not sure if this proves anything, though.

Very true, the bulbs could have been turned off for the dance.
I think it’s unlikely to have been filmed the week before in the studio, I don’t know of any time this was done. It’s just someone on the Kal FB page thinks the routines.only survived to 1981 as separately filmed inserts which were later wiped. That might be possible with Spinning Rock as that was made up of at least two dances and probably filmed before the main show but Do You Feel was obviously part of the main shoot as there was a crowd there.so would only be an insert if it was filmed a week earlier, as was occasionally done if a band was in London and only available that week. Of course the shows could have been wiped after 1981, but they had supposedly stopped the wiping in 1978. I think the most feasible answer is VT kept copies of some the routines.
Still living in 1979

Re: Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Sue can you help?

Doc
I think I may have my answer. I’m fairly certain I’ve spotted the same people in both the Showaddywaddy performance and the Do You Feel dance. I’ll have a closer look when it’s not 0130 in the morning.
Still living in 1979

Re: Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Sue can you help?

Doc
There's a girl with a headscarf on in the insert and just below in the main picture.

There's some girls wearing sunhats and they have a friend without one in a pink top. They can be seen in both inserts. They look like they are lined up in the same order as well.

I'm fairly certain it's the same audience.

Still living in 1979

Re: Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Sue can you help

Sue Menhenick
Hi Doc ..... no, we didn’t prerecord the Frampton number a week in advance. It wasn’t possible with the way the charts could change suddenly in the course of a week. A song you would expect to go up, would suddenly drop and then we were back to square one, and also with the policy of all songs had to go up or stay in the same chart position or they would not appear on the show. So just on that basis, we never pre recorded routines for the weekly shows.... it was too un predictable.
The Frampton number was either done at the start of the recording of the show or at the end. The producer and Flick had already decided to set up and use the audience and I do rember it took ages to organise the them and sort out the cameras access around them.
Spinning Rock Boogie was done in 2 VTs and I believe the first part was done in the afternoon and then the second part , was done in the show so the audience still had something to see as the routine would not have been put together until the whole show was edited on the Thursday daytime, before  the programme was aired that evening.

Occasionally as you know, 2 DJs were put together to host the show, although that was more a feature for the Xmas shows with all that years number one singles .....and those shows were recorded 10\\14 days in advance.

Again, as you are aware .... amongst the audience, there were ‘placed’ floor assistants who  would ‘manoeuvre ‘ the audience around whilst trying to ‘blend’ in with them. So they were sometimes given coloured jumpers or sweatshirts so as to be identifiable to the Gallery upstairs during filming. Perhaps the image is of a floor assistant and not DLT in a red jumper ..... I shall have another look Doc

Can I also just say to you Doc that all the work and effort you put into OFTDs  is absolutely incredible ..... well done you and a big thank you from me ....

Re: Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Sue can you help

Doc
Thank you for confirming that Sue. Someone suggested it may have been recorded early on the Kal Facebook page and I took it as a challenge to prove it wrong as I couldn’t see a reason why it would have ever been done that way. I agree with you that it’s most likely a stage hand in the background as he does look like he’s telling at least one person what to do.
Quite how those two routines survived long enough to make it on to the tape is still a bit of a mystery when the two shows were supposedly wiped a few years earlier. I tend to favour the theory that the VT department kept a collection of clips for later use.
Still living in 1979

Re: Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Sue can you help?

Doc wrote
 whilst the quality is poor the guy at the back in the red jumper looks a bit like DLT
I couldn't resist looking for other occasions when DLT presented TOTPs when wearing red. I could only find `Sunny` from 1977 and `Stray Cat Strut` from 1981, so i guess that debunks the theory a little more.

Re: Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Sue can you help

I am going to be very cheeky here Sue and deviate slightly and can I just ask as the records had to go up or stay the same how come you all danced to Walter Murphy in 1976 - A fifth of Beethoven that had dropped to 31 that week?  I have always queried that one over the years and when the track comes up on my track list I always think of it.  Was it because of the awful hot weather out there?  With kind regards.

Re: Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Sue can you help

VintageVideos
... and here are some more records that had dropped down the week they were danced to (list not complete):
Mary Hopkin - Temma Harbour
Carpenters - Close To You
Jackson 5 - Mama's Pearl
Free - Little Bit Of Love
Don Covay - It's Better To Have

A Fifth Of Beethoven is the most striking one, however, as it had even fallen out of the all important Top 30 the week that Ruby Flipper danced to it. My guess is it was prerecorded because of someone's well-deserved summer holidays and could not be exchanged anymore. Interestingly, it reentered the Top 30 two weeks later, probably because of the RF routine

Re: Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Sue can you help

Dancer
Oh gosh VV what a surprise.  I never knew about all of those.  Not sure when the stagnant and rising records only rule came into operation.  I am thinking aloud here when you hear Tony Blackburn introduce Mama's Pearl you don't see him so presume that was recorded.  I have not got the last track in my collection.

The Walter Murphy track I am going to guess "it was far too hot given the heatwave".

Re: Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Sue can you help

If you've seen the Blue Peter footage it seems like Robin Nash was probably a fan of classical music. I'm taking a guess that he decided to leave 'a bit of culture' in the show. The most appropriate replacement would have been Don Williams - I Recall A Gypsy Woman as it went up 11 places.
There's enough evidence from the early 70's that 'the rules' were not always followed. Maybe once they discounted the songs played the previous week they couldn't always find a suitable replacement when a song dropped down the charts.
Still living in 1979

Re: Was ‘Do You Feel Like We Do’ filmed a week earlier? Sue can you help

Sue Menhenick

Hahaha ! I don’t think the hot weather and heat had a direct effect on which song was used .....🤪
It certainly didn’t happen very often, but if, when the charts came in and the song planned had dropped and there was nothing else going up in the charts,and other records were either covered by the artists turning up in person , or the recorord company providing their own video, o then Flick and Robin Nash’s only options were to either repeat a previous routine ( ie .... Whispers, ‘And the Beat Goes On’ in different costumes) , or still use the original song as long as it hadn’t dropped down too far  .....or finally, which never really happened ...was to give us ladies the week off !!

This very rarely happened but it the charts became a bit ‘stagnant’ with various songs sticking at the number one chart position for weeks on end (😳🙄) then it really had a literal knock on or knock you out the charts effect for other artists. And it was only once songs hit thr number one slot that they could be shown every week they stayed there.

That summer was ridiculously hot, and remember all the TVC studio doors having to left open as everything was overheating, no wonder everyone piled out into the Blue Peter garden that summer !🤗

Best wishes to you. Dancer 😉
12