Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

Gorgeous Daze
Hi Paul. Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it here and become a regular.

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

JEZ
Hiya paul, a warm welcome also from me

Re: Welcome Message to new users

danar
Hi Ryan, sorry for the very late reply, I was off the net and stuck in 'blue screen hell' for my sins.....and boy there have been many!

To answer you question, I do remember there being female dancers on top of the pops, no doubt because of the skimpy outfits, but my recollection isn't strong enough for me to say that I remember L&C from that period as I would have been around 7/8 and I certainly didn't know the troupe's name. As you have guessed I became a born again fan of theirs as a result of TOTP2 from the 90's onwards.

I do remember the troupe 'Zoo' though. Back then, the only bit of skin a boy could see on tv was on Top of the Pops, The Kenny Everett Show or Benny Hill and the Two Ronnies lol.

Thanks for the navigation tips m8, I'll get browsing.

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

irish mist
Hi all, I'm a new user and have dropped into a couple of conversations already but have not really introduced myself. I've had a lot of welcomes from other users, so thanks again. About me...well back in 1978 I was starting out on a teaching career and new marriage in Scotland, although I hail from Ireland...hence the name. Both have lasted..I must be doing something right! So now I'm an ageing silver haired, see my avatar, guy who has the warmest memories of Pans and Legs. Looking at TOTP now, I still get that old familiar feeling. I loved all of the routines, except the Birdie Dance, and my  favourite has to be Dancing in the City with all of the girls  but my favourite dancer is Sue. I've enjoyed looking through your vast collection of the ladies work and at times, I must confess, it brings a tear to my eye.  Of course the years have passed all to quickly for us all, but Sue still does it for me. Sue the lady as well as Sue the girl.

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

Andeebee
if that is your avatar IM you forgot your trousers

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

I think you'll find there are several of us here that agree with your views

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

mkstevo
Hello.
Well, I found this discussion having googled for the Legs and Co. Camel dance (Egyptian Reggae) which I thought was hilarious.

Having seen the pictures and names of the dancers, I can now put a name to the dancer that I always find the most attractive and that turns out to be Sue.

As I'm only 47 (in 2013) when I watched these the first time round I would have only been 10 years old in '76 and I had never noticed how close to pornographic some of the outfits (if not the dances) veered towards. One dance had them in such tight leotards you'd have almost seen less of them wearing nothing. The outfits for NIGHT FEVER  (Dance/performance number 97 by Legs & Co) seemed to be Baby Doll nighties that were ever so see through. Then there were the plastic mac's from I CANT STAND THE RAIN (Dance number 90 by Legs & Co) worn with incredibly small 'smalls'. Not that I'm saying I don't enjoy that sort of thing. I'm just amazed that no-one ever thought to ask them to 'cover up' a little. A Compilation of their most provocative dances, in their skimpiest outfits, slowed down and set to a soundtrack of Je T'aime could have done very well up against Deep Throat!

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

PattiForPM
Hello mkstevo and welcome to OFTDs.  Glad you found your way here and Egyptian Reggae is indeed a fun-filled Dance and perhaps a good introduction to Legs & Co.  I agree that Legs & Co were a very sexy group of ladies and they did indeed wear skimpy costumes at times (thank the Gods) and a certain Mrs Whitehouse did indeed try to curb their efforts but with limited success.  This failure was maybe partly due to public demand and determination at TOTP and on Flick's part not to be limited in this way.  Being an all girl organization (with Fliick and Ruth managing) probably helped too.  The biggest factor though, and this is where I perhaps part company with you, is that they were just excellent at finding a way to maintain good taste and stop short of smut and soft porn.  Of course this is a matter of opinion but I think most people would agree that the comparison with Deep Throat is not really valid and I encourage you to watch as many of the performances as you can on here and then reassess your opinion.  Sorry to bombard you with words on your early visit here but I do feel strongly about this

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

It's always great to have a newbie here, mkstevo, welcome to OftDs, I'm sure that what we're seeing as we watch the old dance routines, is a lot tamer than what you see you women wearing now our television screens.

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

VintageVideos
A warm welcome from me as well, and I hope you will share some more time with us. Regarding the comparison in your post, I second what PattiForPM is saying. Cherishing the work of the dancers means to me that I do not regard them as 'objects' for whatever purpose, but respect them as artists. Yes quite a few of these dances were sensual, but always on a high level and nowhere near a low budget movie.

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

Gorgeous Daze
One of the things that often strikes me when watching Legs & Co. is how they were just spot-on, exactly as a pop show female dance troupe should be. Far from the - by the standards we grew up with - prim and proper starlets of our parents' monochrome generation. And equally as removed from the tawdry 'slut drop' profanity that permeates modern day pop music. For all its faults, some of which are valid and some of which are exaggerated, I increasingly realize that the 1970s represented the pinnacle of Western civilisation. And I really mean that.

And welcome to OFTDs mkstevo.

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

mkstevo
Thanks for the kind welcomes.

I don't want to stir up controversy on only my third post any more than I would want Legs & Co. to have been made to cover up. I was just surprised on watching the routines and outfits that they did 'get away with it'.

Perhaps I wasn't making my point well with my last statement either. I was in no way trying to suggest that any of the routines or outfits were in any way sleazy. I just thought that they were a little close to moving over the border between 'good clean family viewing' and 'crikey!' Minutely skimpier outfits or any longer lingering low angles from the cameraman and it might have just veered into Mum and Dad starting to blush.

My remark about Deep Throat was to suggest that if all the routines were carefully edited (to pick out all those lingering low camera angles), slowed down and set to some (alternative) provocative music you could end up with something that Miley Cyrus and Robin Thicke might consider as 'going too far'.

I don't wish to even remotely imply that the intention or end result of Legs & Co. was anything other than to interpret the song in question into dance, with outfits purely designed to allow freedom of movement while looking glamorous.

I agree whole-heartedly with some of the replies that have pointed out how much more explicit the 'dances' (and the language used in the lyrics) are to some of the music in the charts. How disappointing it seems (from the male perspective) that having fought so hard for sexual equality, some young women either allow themselves or are coerced into becoming the Playboy Bunnies of the 2000's, appearing only to exist to satisfy the lust of slavering and deeply disrespectful men.

I hope I have been able to clarify some of my thoughts. I'm off now to watch Egyptian Reggae!

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

PattiForPM
Thanks for clarifying your post mkstevo and if I'm not mistaken I'd say we might have found an valuable addition to our site with some interesting opinions.   I'll grant you that over the 300 or more appearances Legs & Co made on TOTP Shows there have been a few edgy camera moments (the odd moment in Dancing Queen comes to mind) but honestly remarkably few when all that footage is considered.  TBH I'm no more keen on the Miley analogy than the other one but this is a Welcome Thread and I do sincerely welcome you here and hope you'll always feel free to express yourself and we've had some good debates in the past and I'm sure there will be more if you hang around on here

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

Sue Menhenick
This post was updated on .
Its good to see some new names posting on OFTDs..... you will discover that there is a mine of information regarding ALL the TOTPs dancers provided by genuine fans who really know their facts ! There are a wide variety of topics discussed and debated on the numerous threads and as you can see, new comments are always welcome. There is also a brilliant catalogue of routines to view, some of which were originally thought 'lost,' and there might even be some that you have never seen before.
The success of this website works primarily because of the contributions and consistent input of the OFTDs members, and the enthusiasm is incredible. The banter is good natured and people are entitled to have different opinions....(just be prepared to debate it !!)
As you become more familiar with the other 'postees'.... you will find them a friendly bunch with a great sense of humour, who are, and quite rightly so, very proud of their website. So .... welcome Irish Mist, Sueforever and Mkstevo... and enjoy !

                                                                        Regards Sue.

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

sueforever
Thank you for your kind welcome on the website Sue.

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

Andeebee
I would also like to extend my felicitations to the newbies on here.....

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

Paperboyplod
Andeebee, is that Benja's old Sue avatar, that I'm seeng there?

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

Andeebee
probably Justin, will change it now thou

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

As a big fan of Legs & Co, I have found my way on to your impressive site.  I have been viewing as an anon for a while but decided it would be nice to get more involved.
I spent most of the 1970's and 80's living in New Zealand, so I had never actually seen either Ruby Flipper or Legs & Co until the BBC4 repeats of TOTP. I have a vague memory of seeing Pans People on the Two Ronnies, and I can remember Hot Gossip from the Kenny Everett show.
I think all of the dancers are fantastic,  but I have to admit to having a particular soft spot for Lulu.
It has been fascinating watching the repeats of Top of the Pops. Lets hope that they continue for at least another couple of years.
I can't pretend to be an expert on any of the dance troupes, but I am looking forward to broadening my knowledge and participating on here.

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

Paperboyplod
Old Grey Whistler, hereafter referered to as OGW, welcome to OftDs, I think that your fount to like it here.