Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

the cooter
I been hypnotised by Sue in don't walk away by ELO. Wow what a performance to the camera fantastic sue xx

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

Good stuff Cooter. The thing to do now is head of to the 1980 Legs comments section and leave your comments and score rating on the said routine (and give Sue the Dancer of the day) to while your at it !

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

the cooter
I have left a comment but not sure how to do it I need to give it 10/10.

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

the cooter
Any news on when the next meet is and where?

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

the cooter
Hi, no one got back to me when meeting is?

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

silverbirch
amazing to find  so  much  work and  appreciation  for these  dancers of  yesteryear  but its  a bit  confusing..
I  can  see   about  20   pinned  topics  then  it seems  below that  a  ton  of  various  threads

i  would have thought the  forum would have been  laid on  in  seperate  sections or  topics
like    maybe  basic  sections  for
  pans people  ,
 legs and  co,
 hot  gossip  etc
then  sub  forums   pans  people  pics,   pans  people  videos   etc

Looks  like  you ve  decided to have  one   big   open  forum  with  the  pinned  topics then all kinds of  threads below   !
still ,  big  up to the  guys that put it all together....  sad  though,  there dont seem to be  any
girl  dancing  groups  out there  right now  !

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

Hanway2
Hello, let me introduce myself.
  My name is Michael, and I am 57 years old, born in 1960. I have been visiting this site very often these last few months and have decided to become a Member. I have very much enjoyed watching the still existing dances either through this site or on Youtube and it brings back a lot of deep memories and feelings for me.
  I was not am avid fan back then, but did watch Top of the Pops regularly from the early 70s, therefore I would have seen Pan's People regularly too! I do not recall much of Andi or Flick as dancers but started to watch the show more often from about 1972. To be honest I cannot remember much about any routines I saw, either still surviving or now lost, so I will not be able to help at all on that front, but I do remember the girls very well.
  My favourite, and the one I was most attracted to, was always Ruth. Small, dark and absolutely gorgeous. And a great mover, with a fantastic shimmy to boot! She was the one I always wanted to see more off in those days. I was very sad to hear about her death last year. Her departure leaves a much sadder and less colourful world. I do hope Ruth understood the love and adoration in which she was held by the fans of Pan's People. Watching her again dance has been a great pleasure to me, She was beautiful then and still was in the later clips, talking about her experiences, to be found on Youtube.
  It is Pan's people that means a lot to me, I do not feel the same emotional attachment to the later groups, possibly because I was older and more critical then, But Pan's belong to a period which I would love to go back to but never can- my youth. That time as a young man growing up- about 13 to 15. The 70s were a great time to be growing up, I feel, much freer and less strictured in many ways.
   I started to watch the routines available last year, and in colour for the first time- having a black and White Television back in the 1970s. It has been a great pleasure for me. Truly those were different times. The world has moved on and I feel that a group like Pan's People can never be recreated. Other types of dance groups yes, but not the one that completely reflect the age in which they existed.
   I hope to stick around on the site as long as allowed, it feels great to be with old and new friends!
     Michael.

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

Old Grey Whistler
Hello Michael, welcome aboard!

Your message makes for interesting reading.  I'm sure that we all agree with your comments concerning Ruth. I agree with you that the world has moved on from the 70's, though possibly not in the right direction...

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

Hello Michael,
welcome from another Ruth fan (as you can see from my avatar!). Thank you for your kind words about our favourite dancer. It's great to have another Pan's People fan on the site. I'm sure you will enjoy your time on here.
Vin

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

JEZ
Hi Michael and welcome ,yes im so glad myself that I was around and able to look forward to pans people appearing each week on top of the pops back in the 1970s .I myself was very much into pop music at the time ,and being able to hear and see the latest chart music and groups ,plus watch the girls perform to some of it ,was a real magical time for me ,even if a dance troupe was recreated today similar to pp ,it somehow would never feel the same , because of today's music ,no music of today appeals to me whatsoever.so nostalgia wise it's nice to see the clips once again of the ladies ,and hear some of those great 1970s tunes again.

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

A warm welcome Michael, good to read your backstory. Now you've taken the plunge it's both easy and rewarding to find yourself becoming a regular around here!

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

Hi from me too Michael.  I really like your introduction and there's so much in what you say that  I agree with.  I hope you decide to stay with us as you imply.  I think you'll find there is good humour and excellent information to be had and may I suggest perhaps you start with the Pans People Comments Thread if you're looking for somewhere to begin

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

Welcome to One for the Dads Michael, you will like forum. Loved your tribute to the wonderful Ruth, Michael she will be not forgotten. You will have a good time, guys are really nice people on the site.

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

  Hello all. Thank you for your kind and welcoming replies. My initial message was a little hurried as I tried to put down all the thoughts I wanted to convey in that post. Some I did and some I left out.  I do intend to stick around so you might have to learn to put up with me. And my thoughts!
  I would like to expand on something I mentioned in that introductory message, if I may. We are all aware that the music scene is so very different now to the 1970s for reasons that are unnecessary to repeat right here. You could produce a Pop or Chart Music programme today and commission a team of dancers, which could be all female, all male or mixed and they could be a totally Wonderful and talented team of dancers but it would not be the same as Pan's People. Perhaps it is only in my mind but I can notice a large difference in the sentiment between Pan's and Legs and Co for example. Legs and Co could work today with the more modern 'atmosphere' that surrounded them and so could Ruby Flipper, but Pan's belong to a former age. An age or era that has departed forever. I feel that Pan's People had a charm and innocence that can now never be found or recreated. Those of us that were there at the time will feel very fortunate to have  caught that appeal at that moment. Even at their raunchiest movements and skimpiest costumes, they did belong in a simpler and more trusting time that has gone beyond recall. Or, perhaps it is me! I would be happy for others to comment on this, whether they agree or not.
  Also, thinking about it, I did also like Louise very much at the time, being another dark haired graceful beauty, but because she left at a fairly early stage for me, all my attention and admiration then fell upon Ruth. Clearly, I knew next to nothing about them privately, but always looked forward to their coming round to my front room every week, like a comet returns to Earth during orbit.
    Michael.

Edit: Before any body misinterprets my comments I feel I should add that my disappointment that a group like Pan's People could not be found today is nothing sexual or racial, but I find that these dancers had an art and grace that is sadly missing in the modern world, to go with the enchantment mentioned earlier. Or, maybe it is me and I am longing for a time that has come and gone.

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

Hanway2
I feel I should now decide that my rants about the modern world are over and I need to accept it as it is. So I now intend to have a look through the Forum more deeply and find all the interesting things I have not yet discovered.
And also to try and get more into Ruby Flipper and Legs and Co than before. I think I shall start off with a routine a day starting in chronological order.  And I must put down my impressions of the dance routines on the  ‘have your say ‘ threads.

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

VintageVideos
Hi Michael, here is a suggestion. A chronological list of all known Pan's People routines on TOTP can be found here:
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Pan-s-People-on-Top-of-the-Pops-tp4097653.html

The list includes links to every publicly available clip. Simply click on the name of the routine. This will lead you to the clip.

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

Hanway2
Thank you for the suggestion, I will probably use that as a template as I work my way through the Pans routines to make my comments. And look more closely into Legs and RF.
I am hoping that one day I might be able to come to one of the meeting-ups. I am not sure exactly how to explain my sudden renewed interest in Pan’ People to my wife and that I need to go away for the weekend. Perhaps I should tell her that I have joined the Territorial Army and I have to go away on manoeuvres!
Michael

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

  Ever since my serendipitous rediscovery of Pan's People last year, I have been spending an inordinate time watching their routines on videos. I am not sure how it happened, it feels like something, somehow must have 'guided' me. I was browsing through Youtube some months ago, looking at various unconnected items, when a Pan's dance came up as an option, which I readily took, and from that one I needed to see another and then another until all my old feelings for the group, lain dormant for 40 years, emerged. I was hooked again! Since then I have been watching the performances over and over again and reconnecting myself with the magnificent Flick, sophisticated Andi, vivacious Babs, seductive Dee Dee, beauteous Louise, adorable Cherry, captivating Sue, entrancing Mary, graceful Lee and, of course, the divinely alluring Ruth, who was really out of this world, and for whom no superlative can possibly do justice.
  Although before the time I have been really enjoying the earlier routines like the girl gang of 'Joy to the World' and 'Mama's Pearl' and hippie-style of 'Make It With You' and 'River Deep Mountain High' all among my favourites, and then also the later dances such as the more literal 'Homely Girl' and 'Walking in the Rain' and the technological otherworldliness of 'Spirit in the Sky' and 'Papa was a Rollin Stone', which I most likely saw first time round if only I could remember, all of which I have enjoyed watching repeatedly these last few months. Fortunately there have been very few routines that I have not liked, and I will take the time to pass on my comments in the 'Have Your Say' thread very soon.
  Of course it is to be regretted that so many routines were lost by the wanton Cultural destruction at the BBC. But we cannot do anything about that now, apart from keep looking for any remaining and surviving pieces. As I doubt any one alive will remember everything about all the wiped routines we can only surmise about the dances, great or otherwise, that will never be seen again. I am sure I am not the only one to want the impossible and the ability to go back to the past and rescue all the Top of the Pops programmes and countless others from the heartless and soulless destruction meted out to our then future cultural heritage. But it cannot be!!
   Another great attraction to the viewing of Pan's People was the clothes, or costumes, they would dance in. Whether it was long elegant dresses- particularly those with a long frontal split they especially seemed to favour, or shorter more flighty dresses, hot pants, catsuits, and sometimes seemingly very little at all. And also the 'rock chick' look as in 'A Little Bit of Love' and 'One of These Nights' for example, and the myriad types of boots Pan's would dance in, nearly all seemed designed to make them look especially attractive. Particularly for a young man of about 13 to 15! This has to be taken seriously as a major plus in the Pan's People legacy.
  The 1970s were the time of my youth, adolescence and teenage years. I will argue with anyone who did not agree that the 70s were a great time to be growing up. There was so much to enjoy in that decade, and any one coming latter who attempts to criticise the era is totally wrong. No matter the political and economic background of the times, the 1970s were special. And Pan's People, dancing on Top of the Pops and other programmes, with grace, beauty and style were a massive part of that. I feel lucky to have been there first time around.
     Michael.

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

PattiforPM
Lovely piece HW2

Re: Welcome Message to new users/Introduce Yourself

Love it, Michael. I agree the 70s were a great time to grow up. By the way, we were both born in the same year