Quantcast

Were Legs and Co created for "one for the dads" or for girls to enjoy ?

Were Legs and Co created for "one for the dads" or for girls to enjoy ?

LuLuFan
I realise this could relate to Pans People too. But when you look at Zoo I believe they were clearly there for the audience to be entertained by the dancing, but do you think Legs and Co were put together primarily to get the dads to watch for ratings ? Given 90% of people on this forum are probably men (pure guess), myself included, I am presuming it wasn't due to people appreciating the choreography ? I used to watch purely because they were gorgeous women who were scantily clad, ha.

So do you think it was a win win, girls might watch wishing they could dance like that and men watch to see what the girls are wearing (or not wearing as the hope may have been) this week ? Or was there a single reason behind it ?

Re: Were Legs and Co created for "one for the dads" or for girls to enjoy ?

Doc
The primary reason they were created was that the BBC top brass wanted Ruby Flipper replaced.

Re: Were Legs and Co created for "one for the dads" or for girls to enjoy ?

PansLegs
The purpose of any of the dance troupes was of course to provide a visual accompaniment for a record where the artist could not appear and/or there was no footage available. However, there is no doubt they had their own appeal for both genders of the television audience.

Re: Were Legs and Co created for "one for the dads" or for girls to enjoy ?

PattiForPM
I think there are different ways of looking at this question.  I agree the main purpose of the Troupes was to provide visual replacement for absent Pop Stars.  We have heard from the ladies themselves regarding their fan mail and it seems they certainly appealed to both sexes.  Robin Nash's "dirty raincoat brigade" comment is one I recall and I'm sure Flick was well aware of the sex appeal of her Troupes and played to this strength some of the time but there was much more to them than attracting "the Dads" in my opinion and I would argue they became something of a National Treasure at the height of their reign.  These TOTP repeats have been more than ample evidence that they were some of the very best entertainment on the Show.

Re: Were Legs and Co created for "one for the dads" or for girls to enjoy ?

Everything'sRosie
PattiForPM wrote
These TOTP repeats have been more than ample evidence that they were some of the very best entertainment on the Show.
Most definitely. There was a show repeated a couple of years back when the DJ (can't remember which one) announced blithely at the beginning that Legs were on holiday that week, or words to that effect. Talk about a bombshell! I started watching the repeats having only distant memories of the dance troupes and just wanted to see the shows for nostalgia reasons, but within a few weeks of Legs appearing they became the absolute reason I watched. I think they have a wholesomeness about them which can't be faked, and which lets them appeal across gender and generations. They're sexy, yes, of course they're sexy, they're six beautiful girls. And who doesn't like things of beauty. But they could play it innocent, and funny, and sad....whatever the song demanded. But whatever the song, it was obvious they loved what they were doing. And that is infectious to anyone.

Re: Were Legs and Co created for "one for the dads" or for girls to enjoy ?

I think they were created for both men & women.The boys fancied one or all of them;and the girls wanted to be one of them.

Re: Were Legs and Co created for "one for the dads" or for girls to enjoy ?

Dancer
They were there to dance to mainly American songs where the artist was not available.  They appealed to both sexes.  Men were in love with them and always had a favourite.  Women watched them because they were aspiring dancers maybe themselves or they just enjoyed them.  There were a lot of pictures in work lockers of the girls.  I presume the women of SW4 thought otherwise though but we won't go there.

Myself I was not a Legs & Co fan but now appreciate them more for the routine and the choreography.

Re: Were Legs and Co created for "one for the dads" or for girls to enjoy ?

Old Grey Whistler
I believe that Legs and Co had plenty of fans of both sexes but I think they were created mainly to appeal to men /adolescent boys. I think the BBC top brass decided that men would prefer to watch an all girl troupe rather than watching  Phil and Floid dancing, so they gave them the boot.
I guess this decision is vindicated when you look at the Ruby Flipper DOTD table and see that the three boys are languishing at the bottom, well adrift of the four girls, even though there was probably not that much difference in the quality of their dancing, certainly in the case of Phil and Floid anyway.

Re: Were Legs and Co created for "one for the dads" or for girls to enjoy ?

SuPaLu wrote
I think they were created for both men & women.The boys fancied one or all of them;and the girls wanted to be one of them.
Not at the start, it was a bit before the testosterone had started to take effect!

Re: Were Legs and Co created for "one for the dads" or for girls to enjoy ?

I have to agree with Docs short and concise post earlier in this thread. The Ruby Flipper experiment didn't work as well as they hoped so that left them just one option, to create a new all-girl group in a similar vein to Pans People.

Forty-one years on Ruby Flipper's street cred has certainly improved. But out of that came the wonderful Legs & Co who im sure appealed to both sexes. Maybe younger girls back then like the ones who appeared with them on Jim'll dancing to `Take A Chance On Me`. Surely girls who were 11+ would more likely be into male pop stars than girls dancers.

Re: Were Legs and Co created for "one for the dads" or for girls to enjoy ?

Doc
Whilst the main reason for them being on the show was to fill in for unavailable acts, I'm sure I've seen it somewhere that Robin Nash was well aware of their appeal to the male audience and encouraged the occasional 'gymslip' routine for that reason. There could be some stats to work out here Ryan!

Thanks to PD for providing the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vSlV8YKeEQ&feature=youtu.be&t=1436