Quantcast

Who's That Girl?

ChinaZoo
Hi everybody! I have a question about a certain dancer with Zoo. I've noticed her on Top of the Pops 1983 recently and wondered if anybody knew her name. She's Chinese/Asian and was wearing a green cocktail dress on the 12/05/1983 show, a white dress on the 19/05/1983 show ( where she stood alongside Gary Davies ) and a red dress on the 26/05/1983 show. Does anybody know who she is? Even the BBC archives didn't seem to know.

Re: Who's That Girl?

Im not so sure she is actually a bona fide dancer with Zoo as such. Even more so than there were no Zoo routines in the three shows you highlight. Id say she is whats known as a `cheerleader` whos task it was was to cheer and whoop and dance around to help create the desired atmosphere. These people did seem to have a 6 month lifespan before being replaced by others. Though its possible that some were later drafted into Zoo. You may find this Zoo I.D thread of interest, but the girl you ask about isn't on it. Maybe some of our Zoo experts can help more.
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Zoo-Dancer-IDs-tp4126945.html

Re: Who's That Girl?

ChinaZoo
Thanks Ryan. Let's hope somebody knows who she is. She does pop up a lot in recent shows. I'm sure she features in the eerie black and white sequence that accompanied Miss the Girl by the Creatures on 12/05/83.

Re: Who's That Girl?

SuPaLu
She's Ling Tai and she was a cheerleader

Re: Who's That Girl?

ChinaZoo
Good knowledge...is she the same Ling Tai who went on to be an actress in Doctor Who?

Re: Who's That Girl?

Who's That Hurll
Yes. Here's her IMDB entry : http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0846730/  However, there is no mention of her TOTP cheerleading days.
WTH

Re: Who's That Girl?

Colm
Ling was also a co-host on "Crackerjack", for the final series in 1984 - replacing another part of the Zoo, "Downtown" Julie Brown.

Re: Who's That Girl?

Here's part of a document usually posted on BBC4's Twitter account showing the names of cheerleaders among others.

Re: Who's That Girl?

Colm
Ali Osman from EastEnders being one of the camera helpers!