Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

Re: Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

CoffeeThing
That's a beautiful post Michael.
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

Michael
This post was updated on .
Thank you very much for your kind words, CoffeeThing.

By the way, I like your Fast Show themed postscripts!

Re: Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

Absolutely great post Michael. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Re: Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

mojo2007
I have approached this task with an open mind.  We all appreciate Flick's imagination and drive and her elfin looks. No Flick , no Pans. Louise is a classic beauty who would be on canvas in any century. I suspect Dee Dee of being the naughty one, enjoying winding up  we old men. Patti being a little older is a woman dancer not a girl, powerful and graceful, beautiful to look at and high kicking in a manner which made it appear effortless.  Babs used her fame to raise large sums to help charity.  Every dancer has her plus points.  And so we come to Ruth.  Ruth has the everything. lovely to see and a very versatile dancer but something else, personality plus.  She danced with goldfish and in a gorilla suit and always happy to share a joke. She danced sensually when needed, and could do so in unexpected ways. Look at her solo on In Concert. Without showing anything that Mary Whitehouse could comment on, Ruth radiates  an image you cannot take your eyes off.
 I am very grateful that enough has been saved to make a view possible and in my view Ruth is the dancer.
mojol

Re: Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

PattiforPM
Here's hoping my next 10 years brings the clarity and wisdom you show Mojo

Re: Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

mojo2007 wrote
Ruth has the everything. lovely to see and a very versatile dancer but something else, personality plus.
Thanks mojo. Post of the year AFAIC. Concise and to the point.

Re: Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

Michael
I like to consider myself a fan of all our dancers, but inevitably i think we all have one which we consider our personnel favourite.  In my case id have to go for Sue. Although i was only around 11 or 12 at the time i do remember taking a shine to her when she joined up with Pans People and shes been my favourite ever since. I think her youthful presence breathed new life into the dance troupe and helped it through another two years until its eventual demise.

I find her versatile, good looking, very much a leader and most importantly, incredibly talented to such a degree id call her `an absolute natural` when it came to dancing. If your gonna have a favourite, it may as well be the best dancer. Thats my philosophy and im sticking to it.

Obviously im biased, but i rate her so highly that i even think she held herself back in some routines just to make the others appear on her level. Any dance genre or style, she could do it.

But as i said at the start, i like all our dancers. I don't just sit there starring at Sue.

Excellent point, Ryan: All of the dancers, including our own favourites, brought their individual personalities to whichever troupe they belonged to. And with the magical interplay afforded by Flick’s choreography, and chemistry ‘our’ dancers shared, added so much to the Thursday evenings of our youth.

Though I’m still a OFTDs newbie, I’ve noticed that there are two dancers whose popularity is particularly evident, one of whom is Sue, and I have to wholly concur with as regards her effortless, instinctive, beguiling skills as a dancer, adding an iridescent quality to each routine she graced with her presence.
HG

Re: Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

HG
I love all of Pans but Ruth is my fav. She was a great dancer

With Ruby Flipper it is Sue

With Legs it has to be Sue again

and with Zoo it is Eddie Kemp

Re: Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

Michael
Everything'sRosie wrote

I'm tempted to say just look at the effervescent joi de vivre in this picture. How could anyone not fall for the classic "girl next door" charm of our Rosie? Such a brilliant sport too; dress her up as a Mrs Mop, a granny, or paint her blue, she went for it with the same gusto (also applies to Sue, of course). There's a very likeable wholesomeness about Rosie that's impossible to fake; she's beautiful, and yet also the sort of girl you could take down the pub and have a good laugh with.

I love all the girls though, I love their commitment, and how hard they must have worked behind the scenes to brighten up our Thursday nights. And the fact that those days are now gone forever, makes them all the more precious.
Everything'sRosie

Thank you very much for your contribution. Indeed, who wouldn't be beguiled by Rosie! The photo you included with your post most certainly conveys everything you mentioned.

I have to say that Rosie's cheeky smile and vivacious personality have definitely been noticed by Yours Truly, and her few lines in the recently-unearthed "Nice Legs" spoof really made me laugh!

Re: Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

Michael
Old Grey Whistler wrote
I think I am in the minority on here because I don't really have a favourite dancer. Of course there would be times when a particular dancer would catch the eye  but that was probably more down to Flick's choreography and choice of who did what than anything else. I just viewed them as a team and that is probably why I prefer the full troupe dances to the solo ones.
Thank you for your contribution, OGW.

As implied in my reply to Ryan, those of us who have quite specific favourites do need to occasionally remind ourselves that the ladies worked as a team. Though I do have a favourite, the full troupe dances tend to be my favourite as well.

Re: Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

VintageVideos
Michael wrote
the full troupe dances tend to be my favourite as well.
I agree, not least for want of any appealing Ruth solo dances!

Re: Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

Michael
VintageVideos wrote
Michael wrote
On reflection, Vin, while I love watching Flick’s choreography, there’s always something a little extra special about the moments where the ladies were given an opportunity to take a solo - especially when the soloist’s your favourite 😉

Re: Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

Michael

PattiforPM wrote
Michael wrote
Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

Be it a few lines, or a florid disquisition of your admiration and/or adulation
Haha, you asked for it Michael so here goes;  Patti the raven-haired beauty caught my eye many years ago during Legs & Co's tenure (I don't recall the Ruby Flipper months as vividly) and it was the Rock n Me performance which really floored me.  Her beauty astounded me, yes, and that costume couldn't fail to cause a high fever but it was something more.....she seemed to have an awareness of being the centre of attention without ostentatiousness or unseemly effort.  Her eyes were able to evince something personal and direct to me and once she caught my attention it was inescapable.  Of course she is sexy and feminine as are all the dancers in their various ways but Patti's ability to get lost in a performance and connect with the viewer is so so special to me.  I may be wrong but in seeing pictures and brief off-performance snippets I have suspected a bit of a special friendship with our patron Saint and Head Girl as well and this too makes Patti all the more special to me.  Ok that's enough of my soul exposed for now

Dear PattiforPM

Thank for your contributions, and for exposing your soul so willingly 😉

Patti is most certainly all the things you’ve highlighted!

Something I’m really enjoying about the results of this thread is not only reading everyone’s pathway to their particular ‘fandom’, but also being encouraged to focus my attentions on the lady in question.

Being a Louise/Pan’s fan, and rather short of time, my OFTDs activities tend be biased towards them rather than Legs & Co. But on the strength of yours and others’ dedications, I’ve been watching a selection of their routines.

On the subject of Patti, I love her self assurance and graceful yet articulate approach to dance: she’s very natural and has an evident sense of groove. She’s also stunning!

Again, thank you for your words, and for putting Patti on my radar 😊

Re: Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

Michael
Hanway2 wrote
The View From Inside Number 2.

 ‘Your beauty so enticed me, I could not pass it by’; run the lines of an old song.
And it is with these words the man remembers, an emotion he used to hold so strong.

A beauty indeed did appear, every week as he watched his television screen,
And as he ignored his homework, for the fairest sight he had ever seen.

This beauty was small and dark, just like he hoped one day his woman would be
And shaped in perfection, the art of Nature had created a total picture of harmony.

She moved like no other, even though among others she was always to be found,
All great and graceful dancers, whose treasured movements would enshrine the ground.

But this one so specially would quell my startled breast and my beating heart
As an enraptured fool I lay, and no other rival could ever take her part.

Like an angel on blessed wings she moved, her divinity was beyond compare
Which led to an endless admiration, for this unearthly spirit of majesty so rare.

‘Her hair was black, her eyes were dark, her lips as red as wine’
As I watched her from afar, and I longed for the day she could be mine.

She could be dressed as an elegant princess, or as a temptress in a fervid dream
I only saw her in black and white, the dimness shattered by her shining gleam

My glance was always drawn towards her, her presence would heighten her guise
In my tortured sight, as I gazed upon her, and she shone like the sun in my open eyes.

This was without doubt a celestial being, unmatched in all honest and quested truth.
Who bewitched me as a young man, and led me to a devotion for my darling Ruth.
Thank you once again for your wonderful contribution to this thread, Hanway2. I've included the poem in with my reply as I'm sure there are some forum members who may have missed having the opportunity to enjoy it first time round.

I'm glad we had the opportunity to raise a glass in both Ruth and Louise's memory yesterday 😊

Re: Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

Michael
AC/PD wrote
It was not until the 21st Century advent of repeats that I recalled Pauline as the friendly dancer I'd forgotten about from a couple of complete decades previously. She was the one I most noticed and, yes, liked the look of from childhood. As well as the standard obvious attraction, what noticeably appealed was a certain cheeriness which she managed to communicate all the way from W12 through the cathode ray tube on the old wooden Granada TV set. To this watching child, one picked up on her being friendly, benign and somehow reassuring - just....nice.

For the woman herself to subsequently unpeel character trait layers through TOTP lookbacks, her OFTD Q&A (which went down a storm), self-deprecatingly honest and witty radio conversations and making a thoughtful 'thank you' appearance at the 2015 OFTD Event (which went down a hurricane) : all provided bonus endorsements as to why Pauline's such a favourite. And in the flesh, she's like a fine and fruity wine...
Thank you very much for your kind contribution, AC/PD.

Prompted by your words, I decided to read Pauline's answers on the Q&A you mentioned. I fully agree with your sentiments: what a lovely lady., with an obviously and abundantly generous, kind heart.

From my own point of view, Pauline is very special because she resembles so closely a very dear, but sadly departed friend of ours.

Best wishes,

Michael

Re: Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

Dolly
Well. This is exciting.
I've been watching the many groups and routines for over a year now on YouTube. It really amazed me how we missed these dancers here in the states! It's a crime! Lol! I like the fact that the dancers are allowed to show their personalities. They aren't just pretty faces, but members of the show. You got to know them on a more personal level. Here in the states we had alot of dance shows like American Bandstand, Soul Train, Solid Gold, Dance Party USA, etc, but we never knew the dancers names. They were only faces. So I totally commend y'all for that.

I have a personal favorite from all three groups.
It was really hard to decide who my favorite over all dancer would be. Take Sue for example. She's simply amazing! Her spins are so fast and always on point and she's such a versatile dancer, and Patti is the perfect ballerina, Louise is always so gorgeous and elegant, Babs is so sweet and ladylike, Cherry is very doll-like, Dee Dee is sultry, Andi is so poised, Floid is a natural, Phil is Charming, Gavin is athletic, Anita is fierce, Mary and Lee are cute, Lulu, Pauline and Rosie are so adorably sweet you just want to pinch their cheeks and Gill is quiet but very agile and serene, and of course fellow American Girl Flick the Genius herself! Each dancer has a certain something that makes them so special.

But we can only choose one and my choice is:RUTH

Ruth is my absolute favorite out of all three groups.
I love her sassy, spunky personality. She seems very uninhibited and carefree and yes even a bit wild. I love watching her numerous expressions during her dances. Ruthie's dancing is incredible.
She can dance very soft and poetically when the music calls for it and She can really let her hair down and shake it around when the music calls as well. She's practically hypnotic when she moves. When she dances she is art in motion. She's the best mover and shaker. She has so much soul in her tiny, little body! She's a lil Powerhouse! Plus she seems like she was so lively and loads of fun, the life of any party. She has such a Joie de vivre and dance. So that's my choice of favorite dancer.
RUTH: the epitome of a dancer.
Beautiful, Lovable, Classy, Sassy, Fun, Flawless, Lil Ruthie!💃

SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY
She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impaired the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent

Re: Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

Hanway2
  Welcome Dolly to that special section of the OFTDs aficionados, called- by me right now- the 'Fans of Ruth Club'. I have been trying to prove that I am her biggest fan, but I have some serious competition, not least from you, it seems.
  It was very interesting to read your thoughts on the subject. Thanks for that.

Re: Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

Dolly
Hello Hanway!
Yes, I too am a RuthFan! She's so much fun! I love her expressions! I love all of the dancers, but Ruthie has a special place in my heart!
Have a great day my friend!

Re: Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

VintageVideos
Now that's really something! For years I was probably the only genuine Ruthfan on here but now we're three at least! The fact that Ruth was chosen as her favourite by a female member of the forum also proves my objectivity and serves to resolve all doubts that my choice was purely based on an overflow of male hormones

Re: Why are you a *insert favourite dancer’s name here* fan?

Dolly
Hey VV!
Yes, I'm happy to make the RuthFan posse a trio!
And I'm sure you love her for the same reasons I do!
123