Why didn't they fall off more often?

Caracalla
Having watched quite a few routines now I've seen the incredible use the dancers made of the limited stage space . What with the often rapid or violent moves and the bright lights and the closeness to the edge I just wonder how they avoided falling off the stages more often. Anyone any thoughts?

Re: Why didn't they fall off more often?

Practice makes perfect i guess. But if they did do any bad errors like the unlikely `falling of a stage`, that scene or the whole routine would simply be filmed again.

Id wager many mishaps did occur over the years, but have simply been left on the cutting room floor.

Re: Why didn't they fall off more often?

Id wager many mishaps did occur over the years
... like the legendary story about Babs colliding with a palm tree during the filming of "Sha La La (Make Me Happy)":

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/The-Pan-s-People-Diary-tp4125198p4128090.html

Re: Why didn't they fall off more often?

Mikey
How about this?

https://youtu.be/NWFhQUcBfiI?t=3810

For about 4 mins.

Probably true about the serious errors being cut, but I get the feeling  from the book that it was a very rare occurrence.
Very impressive I think when you consider routines like Everythings Tuesdsy where they use every inch of the stage or maybe I'm a Man where theyre throwing themselves about all over the shop.

Re: Why didn't they fall off more often?

Caracalla
Thats a nice link with Babs Ruth and Dee Dee talking. I must find that and watch it all.