Why not Hot Gossip?

PattiforPM
Just a thought.  We are all dyed in the wool Legs & Co/Ruby Flipper/Pans People fans but why are we not Hot Gossip aficianados instead or as well?  I like some of their routines myself but find them robotic and mechanical with  little warmth and humanity compared to our girls.  As for sexiness, i know Hot Gossip were touted as the hottest troupe but they fall far short of L&C for me.  Just look at "Supernature", a rare opportunity to see both troupes interpreting the same music.  The L&C version has humour and the cavegirls - well you all know what I think of them by now.  The Hot Gossip version just doesn't have the same pizazz.  What do you all think?

Re: Why not Hot Gossip?

Suefan
Agree with you entirely P4pm.  They had to try too hard whereas with our girls it just came naturally.

Re: Why not Hot Gossip?

Pattiforpm, i think you rather answered your own question, anyway how could we have any affinity with a dance troupe that had an amazing 58 members over a 8 year live span. Got to admit when i was 15 year old i did quite fancy Debbie Ash though!

Re: Why not Hot Gossip?

Kace
ive never seen a hot gossip routine. im a l&c girl. sorry
ABLE WAS I ERE I SAW ELBA

XxXx

Re: Why not Hot Gossip?

Patti'sdaughter
I have seen seen afew Hot Gossip routines.  Didn't Sarah Brightman dance in the troupe?  To myself I don't think they were as popular as Pan's People, Ruby Flipper and Leg's & Co.  If you ask people about the T.V dancers they will most likely and alway's say Pan's People and Leg's & Co.  For me they don't come close to Pan's People and Leg's & Co.  Sorry, but that is my opinion.
amy x

Re: Why not Hot Gossip?

PattiforPM
You're right Amy Sarah Brightman did dance and briefly sing with Hot Gossip.  With recent events I probably shouldn't ask this question and it's a little off topic but I can't resist.  Is anyone else utterly puzzled about the fame of Sarah Brightman?

Re: Why not Hot Gossip?

JEZ
never got into this group at all ,sorry hot gossip fans but as members of pp once said it was more flirtations they did rather than dance ,jez

Re: Why not Hot Gossip?

Floid Fan
Funny, I've been watching Hot Gossip videos on youtube (YMG, you have posted quite few on there, which are not on OFTD) and
the routines do seem to lack variety. There's a lot of raunchy gyration and very serious pouting looks among among all the frilly underwear and leather but not much sense at all of lightheartedness or fun, like you find in all the TOTP troupes. It's interesting that dancing among Ms Ash and co, you can see former Ruby Flipper dancer Floyd, even doing some singing! Wonder why Arlene had a group specifically with white girls and black guys in its different incarnations? Was she trying to say something about sexual magnetism between the two? Certainly a pleasant antidote to the stuffed shirts at the BBC like Cotton.
Carl

Re: Why not Hot Gossip?

Young Mister Grace
I'm puzzled too, but I could never get interested in academically trained vocal music, of which she is a popular exponent.
It all sound mannered, fake and ugly to me.

YMG
You've all done vey well!

Re: Why not Hot Gossip?

JEZ
never got into hot gossip at all

Re: Why not Hot Gossip?

Young Mister Grace
At the time they appeared, Hot Gossip were a breath of fresh air, compared to the usual British Light Entertainment Choreography of the time. Apart from TOTP, television was awash with The Brian Rogers Connection, The Lionel Blair Dancers, Dougie Squire's Young Generation and Second Generation, and whoever it was that danced in the various BBC "Saturday Night In A Tent" summer shows.

In the context of this blog, of Flick Colby's body of work, they seem a little one-dimensional. But that's a distorted view.

Compared to the dross that was mainstream at the time, they deserve a little credit for trying something new.

YMG
You've all done vey well!

Re: Why not Hot Gossip?

Floid Fan
That's a very good point YMG. They were totally different and anyone who wound up Mary Whitehouse can't be bad!
Carl