Wiped routines, so good they saved them twice!

Wiped routines, so good they saved them twice!

As it's quiet, after reading a comment by ER I started think about the wiped routines that have managed to survive in more than one way. Here's my list of what I believe are the ones. Any suggestions and corrections are welcome.

Now if only we could convert all those duplicates into something that is missing!

The Love You Save - The Jacksons
The clips of this overdubbed with Mama Told Me Not To Come are well known about, however there is a high probabilty that the original version is out there as well.

Finders Keepers - Chairmen Of The Board
I believe clips of this survive in a JS fronted show, plus it's on one of Bob Pratt's tapes.

I Think Of You - Detroit Emeralds
A black and white version is on the blog, however a colour screen grab was uploaded some years back so another copy may be out there.

Keep On Truckin - Eddie Kendricks
The full version of this show was found on a telerecording misfiled at the BFI, it was later found again on the Levine tape.

All Of My Life - Diana Ross
Saved by Mr PVL and also on the Levine tape.

Love's Theme - Love Unlimited Orchestra
Recorded by Mr PVL and also found on the Levine tape.

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet - Bachmann Turner Overdrive
PVL and Levine.

You're The First, My Last, My Everything - Barry White
No proof here but I've a feeling that the PVL version is not the only one. Surely at least one engineer kept a copy!

I Get A Kick Out Of You - Gary Shearston

Sing Baby Sing - The Stylistics
Saved by both The Vicar and the Levine tape, however who ever compiled the Levine tape missed off Sue's cartwheels at the end.

I'll Do Anything You Want Me To - Barry White
Again saved on both The Vicar's tape and the Levine tape.

Listen To What The Man Said - Wings
Recorded by Mr PVL and The Vicar.

The Hustle - Van McCoy
PVL and The Vicar.

Barbados (v1) - Typically Tropical
Recorded by The Vicar, now the complete show has recently surfaced from an annoymous source. A clip also survives in a later TOTP.

It's Been So Long - George McCrae
Recorded in Belgium then later found on The Vicar's tape.

Best Thing That Ever Happened - Gladys Knight
Vicar and Levine.

No Woman, No Cry - Bob Marley
Found on the Vicar's Tape, now the complete episode has surfaced from an unknown source.

Island Girl - Elton John
Levine and Vicar tape, also a rehearsal exists.

This Ole Heart Of Mine - Rod Stewart
On an engineers VT tape partially edited then on the Vicars tape unedited.

First Impressions - The Impressions
On the Vicar tape, but was already rumoured to be 'out there' before that.

Midnight Rider - Paul Davidson
The show was recorded by 'Diddy' David and it's also on the Vicar's tape.

Squeezebox - The Who
On the Vicar's tape and a tape containing about 80% of the show recorded by Ian Levine.

Funky Weekend - The Stylistics

David Hamilton and The Vicar.

Nights On Broadway - Candi Staton
Recorded by Mr PVL and also survived partially on a tape made for Legs and Co.

Oxygene - Jean Michel Jarre
Recorded by Mr PVL and also survived partially on a tape made for Legs and Co.

Re: Wiped routines, so good they saved them twice!

Legsfan
Interesting list Doc.
Does a list exist of routines that were recorded by the Vicar, PVL, DD etc, that the BBC didn't wipe?

Re: Wiped routines, so good they saved them twice!

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet survives both in the PVL and on the Levine tape.

Re: Wiped routines, so good they saved them twice!

Legsfan wrote
Interesting list Doc.
Does a list exist of routines that were recorded by the Vicar, PVL, DD etc, that the BBC didn't wipe?
I'm trying to show that on the surviving list. In some cases around the early 70s I'm not sure if the BBC have it or not. It could be an eventual upgrade for the tables.

Re: Wiped routines, so good they saved them twice!

VintageVideos wrote
You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet survives both in the PVL and on the Levine tape.
Yes, missed it reading through the lists. I've added First Impressions as well as that was rumoured to exist before the Vicar turned up.

Re: Wiped routines, so good they saved them twice!

Legsfan wrote
Interesting list Doc.
Does a list exist of routines that were recorded by the Vicar, PVL, DD etc, that the BBC didn't wipe?
Didn't read the post correctly last time. No there isn't, because the versions the BBC have are far superior to those on the home videos, the only time they have been of use is to get around the awful yewtree ban.

Luckily with the Vicar a very large percentage of what he recorded was missing when it was found. Similar with Levine, however those duplicated with the Vicar are not so good suffering from bad edits at the start and end.
The PVL stuff had the potential to be very good, however the person who did the original digitisation didn't do the greatest job. It was rumoured that PVL Ken always cut out the DJ on the 70's stuff but the Edmonds show that was seen this year was fully complete and in very good condition considering the tape was 43 years old when they copied it. It's possible that the original digitiser split the acts up to maximise revenue from selling them on. Sadly with some of the shows this is all we'll ever get as 1000's of the PVL tapes were binned very recently. I believe that most of the 70's ones were eventually passed on to Kaleidoscope and we may get to see some of them at future events.