X-Ray Vision - Daily picture quiz - Now ended.

Locked 181 messages Options

Re: X-Ray Vision - Daily picture quiz - begins 1st Jan

VintageVideos
Fashion

Re: X-Ray Vision - Daily picture quiz - begins 1st Jan

Both OGW & Vin are correct.

Answer to bonus question is `Sue`.

Re: X-Ray Vision - Daily picture quiz - begins 1st Jan

Time for today's x-ray picture.

BONUS QUESTION  How many consonant letters are in the title of the song ?

Re: X-Ray Vision - Daily picture quiz - begins 1st Jan

Re: X-Ray Vision - Daily picture quiz - begins 1st Jan

Don't Leave Me This Way.

Re: X-Ray Vision - Daily picture quiz - begins 1st Jan

The Rubberband Man wrote
9
Its a rubbish question for me to pose that.

The answer could be 9, 10 or 11.

If your playing Countdown then aren't W Y considered Consonants. Yet i think im correct in assuming both are not proper consonants. I will give it you TRBM, just hope the Stewards don't put in an enquiry !!

Re: X-Ray Vision - Daily picture quiz - begins 1st Jan

Answer to the dodgy question is 11. Yes i wont be using letters again.

Re: X-Ray Vision - Daily picture quiz - begins 1st Jan

W and Y are fully fledged, the only kind of, consonants. The unambiguous answer is 11.

Re: X-Ray Vision - Daily picture quiz - begins 1st Jan

I thought the Stewards may come after me on this. I think i will let TRBM make the honorable decision. I resorted to Wiki and that only confused me more.

Letters

The word consonant is also used to refer to a letter of an alphabet that denotes a consonant sound. The 21 consonant letters in the English alphabet are B, C, D, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, Q, R, S, T, V, X, Z, and usually W and Y. The letter Y stands for the consonant /j/ in yoke, the vowel /ɪ/ in myth, the vowel /i/ in funny, and the diphthong /aɪ/ in my. W always represents a consonant except in combination with a vowel letter, as in growth, raw, and how, and in a few loanwords from Welsh, like crwth or cwm.

In some other languages, such as Finnish, y only represents a vowel sound.

Re: X-Ray Vision - Daily picture quiz - begins 1st Jan

Gorgeous Daze wrote
W and Y are fully fledged, the only kind of, consonants. The unambiguous answer is 11.
Where's Rachel Riley when you need her?

Hmm. Must take a morsel of humble pie as W & Y do indeed have a slightly different status. Over to RBM for his rationale methinks.

Re: X-Ray Vision - Daily picture quiz - begins 1st Jan

AC/PD
"(Blah, blah, blah)....However, the consonant sound is not consistently represented in English spelling by any other letter, and perhaps for this reason Y tends traditionally to be counted among the consonants."

Re: X-Ray Vision - Daily picture quiz - begins 1st Jan

Well, I knew it was "Don't Leave Me This Way", but when I started counting through, and got to the W and Y I got confused about whether those letters were intended to be included or not. I didn't include them.

Re: X-Ray Vision - Daily picture quiz - begins 1st Jan

Okay, ive got to make a decision on this.

I think its generally assumed that there are 21 consonants and 5 vowels, at least thats what happens on Countdown, the Layman's guide to grammar you could say.  So i can't accept your answer of 9 TRBM. As it was a dodgy question, you are not suspended for tomorrow. S4E keeps the 2 points and GD gets a single point.

Re: X-Ray Vision - Daily picture quiz - begins 1st Jan

PattiforPM
Good decision boss.  Have to say I'm 100% with the original GD response but accepting a possible ambiguity is a gracious host move

Re: X-Ray Vision - Daily picture quiz - begins 1st Jan

Suefan
Spot on decision.  There are 21 consonants and five vowels in current English despite what the authors on wiki seem to be suggesting.  However, both W and Y are vowels in Welsh so it comes down to which side of Offa's Dyke one favours!

Re: X-Ray Vision - Daily picture quiz - begins 1st Jan

Gorgeous Daze
Suefan wrote
However, both W and Y are vowels in Welsh so it comes down to which side of Offa's Dyke one favours!
I believe if RNOF played that this could be cited. ER is possibly close enough to request another Stewards Enquiry.

Perhaps but thankfully Oftd is not bilingual !

BONUS QUESTION Who is the only dancer to be wearing a hat ?

Re: X-Ray Vision - Daily picture quiz - begins 1st Jan

VintageVideos
Lulu