YESTERDAY -- 25/03/1976

The Beatles Weeks, Part 1:

Yesterday
Performed by The Beatles and reaching number 8 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 25/03/1976 Duration of dance - 2.01 mins
Dancers: Cherry, Lee, Mary, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3m3ofk

One of the most covered songs of all time could have been "Scrambled Eggs". That doesn’t ring a bell with you? Probably because you all know it by its final title "Yesterday" and not by its working title, and though I love scrambled eggs, I much prefer the story about a lost love.
No doubt "Yesterday" is one of the Beatles most popular songs worldwide. Though while it went to No. 1 in the USA in 1965, the Beatles did not permit a single release in the UK. One of the reasons for this decision was that it's essentially a solo recording by McCartney. Good for Matt Monro but that's a different story.
In March 1976, just before the Beatles contract with EMI was about to expire, "Yesterday" was finally released for the first time as a single in the UK and climbed to No. 8.

Once again, we have to thank David Hamilton for preserving this TOTP episode in his private collection. Exceptionally, he even mentions "Cherry" in his introduction, it's not often that a member of Pan's People was namechecked on the show.

This is a slow and kinda sad song, so you can't expect a joyful performance. And that's where my problem with this routine begins. I just love to see the girls happy and smiling but here they all look plaintive and sombre. Furthermore, I don't really like the dresses or the setting. Watching this makes me blue, and that's why it's not a favourite of mine. Please do yourself a favour and compare this routine with the beautiful and absolutely stunning dance to Jose Feliciano's version of "Yesterday" on "The Two Ronnies", which is vastly superior in my opinion (to be featured here at a later date).

The song is a classic of course, even if a bit overplayed, and I can't fault the dancing. All in all my rating for this routine is a balanced 7.5 out of 10.

As Dancer of the Day I picked the obvious choice, that is of course Cherry.

Re: YESTERDAY -- 1976

Even though its a sad song and the girls don't have a lot to smile about i do like this one. I bet most folk thought this was going to be a Cherry solo after DHs intro, but the other 4 join in after 25 seconds. My favourite bit in this is the intense stare from Cherry half way through. Those round platforms of differing heights do look like tripping hazards, think id be missing my step. The Two Ronnies version is of course an instrumental and is played in a jauntier style, so the dancers in that one have a little more scope to be happier looking.

The dancers here execute their moves with precision, the song must have been difficult for Flick to interpret, so my rating will be a healthy `8.25 out of 10`.

Dancer of the day, who else but `The Lovely Cherry`

Re: YESTERDAY -- 1976

Andeebee
Good interpretation and on par with the two Ronnies version, hard to pick DOTD - but ill go for Cherry

Re: YESTERDAY -- 1976

Paperboyplod
Not the most elaborate of routine, just a nice simple production for a simple balladic track, but I think that's the most charming thing about it, all five ladies het to strut their stuff with camera firmly on them at.variuos points during the routine. The costumes seem to have an eastern flavour about them, but what's with the skirts?, they look like they've all been ripped apart by dogs, but apart from that, this routine's an enjoyable one for me.

8/10

DotD:-

Cherry

Re: YESTERDAY -- 1976

Who's That Hurll
A short but sweet routine to a Beatles reissue. I like the costumes, although I agree that the skirts are in need of urgent repair.
The best moments for me, are when the other four girls appear on camera and twirl into position without any bumping!.
This is a ' Cherry on top' routine, however there aren't many opportunities to flourish Lee with adornments and as her hair looks nice, she receives my DOTD. 8/10.

Re: YESTERDAY -- 1976

Yes this fine song does challenge the choreographer IMO too.  Cherry is stunningly serene and her colleagues are perfect in their serious roles too.  The outfits look almost Aztec or Incan to me and seem at odds with the rather modern platforms.  Anyway I must add to the deserving Cherry''s haul of DotDs and I too am compromising a little in awarding 6.5/10 to this Dance which has some good features but is not often on my screen.

Re: YESTERDAY -- 1976

I like the way the girls appear from behind the camera in this routine. As for dotd it can only really be Cherry.
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: YESTERDAY -- 1976

Diddy David name checked Cherry again as well as Patti and Lulu for Wings - Silly Love Songs.
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: YESTERDAY -- 1976

Of course he name checked Cherry for a third time before `Misty Blue`. Kinda get the impression old Diddy had a crush on Cherry !

Re: YESTERDAY -- 1976

VintageVideos
Couldn't blame him!

Re: YESTERDAY -- 1976

I was really happy when this one turned up thanks David Hamilton and I think it was p4pm who 1st introduced it to the blog.

But this is one which leaves me a bit cold - I really don't like it when the girls have to look serious and yes that includes Cherry doing her best sad look as though the woes of the yesterday song are on her and her fellow dancers.

To be fair it is not a dance tune at all but the girls and Flick have landed it because it was in the charts, no video and no beatles.

I like the outfits but they have some horizontal bands which make the girls look wider and really do not work with the blue background - brown and blue are not a good combination.

Don't like the ascending descending circular mushroom pads much either but - its the girls and 6.5- I don't play this very often especially if I need cheering up !

DOTD Sue as she seems to get the serious look about right.

Re: YESTERDAY -- 1976

VintageVideos
Thank you BB, and may I take the occasion to give you a gentle reminder about your pending comment on 'Silver Star'?

Re: YESTERDAY -- 1976

This one isn't a favourite although the interpretation and performance are spot on.  The costumes are worth a comment, although quite what I'm not too sure... the bottom bit, below the girls trim waists, has a certain primitive feel to the design but the look isn't enhanced by the dangling brown threads.  Only a 6 from me.

Re: YESTERDAY -- 1976

Is this a day where I'm giving my thoughts on standards by leading artists which I think provide diminishing dance returns?

For me, the routine starts promisingly with Cherry's elegant twirls - I love that triple spin at the half-way point - but what lets the routine down for me are the moments of inertia - where the dancers are stood still. It may be appropriate to the song's mood, but they make me feel the routine is incomplete and incoherent.

My vote - 5 out of 10 for the routine, and a no-brainer for the DotD honour: Cherry - the right choice to take the lead IMO

Re: YESTERDAY -- 1976

Old Bill
I love this one. Such a simple dance, but it works so well, a really nice piece of theatre. The song is a slowie, but something about it seems to lend itself being a nice tempo to dance to. Or to glide around to the luscious strings.

The routine is so beautifully worked out it is a joy to watch. The set looks great, the outfits are nice. Cherry is spot-on - her looks at around 1'18" and her little hand gesture at the end are heart-breaking!

The other 5 are excellent in their supporting role - I love it when Sue's face jsut suddenly appears from nowhere right in front of the camera as they all skitter past. In fact the camera angles too are also nicely worked out.

Like I said, an absolute joy!

9.5/10, and Cherry - who else?!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: YESTERDAY -- 1976

I really can't fault this at all. It's a highly convincing routine, as elegant and sensitive as the strings on the song. I like the short skirts with long fronds. The brown suits the dispirited mood of the song, giving it an autumnal wistfulness. And though the blue background might not seem to match it, we could interpret that as representing a brighter yesterday. A dark set often isn't viewer-friendly, but this time there's not a problem. Cherry is just excellent throughout, Miss Grace personified, and her betrayed eyes seem to speak directly to the viewer. It's an effective device when the other four appear at the word 'suddenly', and they work well together and in their dynamics with Cherry for a tenderly judged performance.

DOTD Cherry.

Re: YESTERDAY -- 1976

BeautifulBabs
gd will you be wearing a clashing blue and brown outfit at the kal event ?

Re: YESTERDAY -- 1976

Gorgeous Daze
I wouldn't put it past me.

Re: YESTERDAY -- 1976

Lookmacinanger
 Well done to Diddy for setting the VCR for that week. The most poignant opening line of a song for me and Pans People perform a beautiful routine to Yesterday. We know they were familiar with the track from their residency on Two Ronnies, and this version is a wonderful interpretation with everyone on top form. 10/10 Dotd Cherry

Re: YESTERDAY -- 1976

L&C4me
9/10 - DOTD Sue

Yesterday - Paul McCartney - Beatles

I understand Paul McCartney wrote this song when travelling with Jane Asher to Bruce Welch's Villa  in the Algarve in 1965. Perhaps Bruce was the 'shadow hanging over him' in the song? I've puzzled over the lyrics; "Suddenly, I'm not half the man I used to be". Seems like a double negative. I don't think he means he feels like a full man so I presume he means "less than half the man he used to be". So, when he wrote this, was he thinking about a past love even though he was with Jane, or was it about the loss of his mother? Even so, it went on to become the most covered pop song of all time and also the 4th highest earner..

My view is that the lyrics are sad and down beat. However, it is sung in a beautiful manner to a lovely melody.

The style of the Pans People costumes look to yesterday in their fashion, as far back as the native Indians of North America. They are quite subtle and understated, but refined and pretty.

When Paul sings the words Yesterday, all the girls turn and look back.

He "said something wrong and longs for yesterday" in order to go back and speak nicer or kinder words. The girls offer gestures and look sombre that fit the mood of the song.

The dance is delicate, coordinated and refined with some nice cross over moves.

There is something about Sue in this for me. I found Sue to be beautiful to the level of stunning. Her hair is lovely, shiny  and radiant, I think a little longer than her normal length. Her demeanour as always is very professional.
Jim
12