YOU CAN DO IT [September]

YOU CAN DO IT Dance/performance number 182 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Al Hudson & The Partners  reaching number 15 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  27/09/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.23 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Sue      164
Pauline 163
Rosie    161
Patti     160
Gill       158
Lulu      156
Links to the dance
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x27arps_legs-co-you-can-do-it-totp-tx-27-09-1979_creation

http://legsandco.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/legs-co-you-can-still-do-it.html

Legs & Co dance to Al Hudson and the partners. I have to say i knew nothing about them, so i hit Wiki. Seems apart from this song Al and his cohorts have never bothered the UK charts. It appears they are all part of a bigger gang called `One Way`, but thats as far as my interest went on researching them and i quickly moved on.

The actual song is of a slower tempo disco mode, in other words perfect for Legs & Co to groove to. Ive always felt they performed better to songs of this nature as opposed to the really faster stuff. Decked out in various garments of white they perform admirably on raised platforms. The experimental camera work, with the rolling mini screen isn't to much of an intrusion and it does add a different dimension i must say. A few nice close ups of the girls, but on this occasion it appears to be Lulu whos out of favour with the camera men.

DOTD--I think im going to go for `Pauline`, though Rosie's see-through skirt nearly tempted me.

Rating--Once again the footage does suffer from not having the benefit of being shown on BBC4, but the clips we have are quite adequate. I must not let this affect my scoring, but i think in HD quailty this may get a further half point.

Im at `8.75 out of 10`

Re: YOU CAN DO IT [September]

Suefan
Although it works fine for whatever reason this isn't a routine I watch very often.  Perhaps the set is just a little too stark, the rolling screen a little too distracting.  The dark ruff, or whatever it is, that Sue has around her neck isn't my cup of tea but despite that she just pips Pauline, her fellow back row lady, for Dotd while its a solid 7 for the routine.

Re: YOU CAN DO IT [September]

Gorgeous Daze
It's one of those rare occasions from 79 where the girls are dancing to a song I didn't know. Good to get acquainted, but I doubt it will develop into a lasting familiarity. I really like the belted white outfits in varieties ranging through chic, see-through, to something else. So on that basis it's particularly frustrating that much of this routine is lacklustre. The set is sterile and the visuals too monochrome, unrelieved by disco lights. There is though the odd splash of colour, which is most-appreciated when the camera homes-in on the red-hot brunette at the front. TOTP around this time was suffering from rectangulitis and the ill-advised rolling threesome is enough to have had dads around the country rising from their armchairs to bash the top of the telly. It just obscures the action while being too miniaturizing and fleeting to add anything. I guess that 'You can do it', There's nothing to it', explains the relative simplicity of the moves, but lacking the joy of the uptempo 'Strut Your Funky Stuff' this is much more forgettable and as a dance it's only brighter moments come in close-ups and pulse-raising arching of backs.

DOTD Patti.  6.5/10

Re: YOU CAN DO IT [September]

In this routine we have our ladies in a total white setting. And the ladies are dressed in different white garments with black belts.The ladies are on different sized plinths. Dancing slow disco movement on them. We have electronic visual effects through out this routine of screens coming in and out, showing our ladies. We also have some nice close ups of our ladies of Sue, Patti, Rosie, Gill and Pauline. Lulu doesn't get a look in this time round.

For the Dotd I will say Sue who pips Patti for me.

The score will be 7 out of 10.

Re: YOU CAN DO IT [September]

Colm
Legs and Co put their back, and all other body parts, into this routine, demonstrating they can do it, and are certainly not being ashamed either in this nice choreographic display.

Maybe Lulu's spotlight in the previous few routines was on Flick's mind, hence not getting a close-up here? Two nice shots with Sue and Pauline certainly make up for not seeing a clearer view of Lulu, though.

Score: 8

DotD: Tricky one... I'm torn between Sue and Pauline... go on then, Pauline it is.

Re: YOU CAN DO IT [September]

VintageVideos
Well, I like this one. The dance is really nice to watch, the choreography might look simple but it is very effective in my view. It's just a shame that the track is so tiresome. With the 'right' music, I'd score this around 9, but as it is, I can't go higher than

8 / 10

DotD: Pauline
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: YOU CAN DO IT [September]

I don't mind this song at all and I like the varied white outfits on show and the tempo does indeed suit our Troupe well as our intrepid administrator has suggested.  I also quite like the 'three in an elevator" inserts although I too would have liked to have had a closer view of these proceedings.  The accessories are a little odd here and Lulu does get a raw deal but overall I enjoy this and award 8/10.  I admire the strength and resolve of those who are able to resist the multi-megaton-powered temptation to vote for the lithe tanned siren performing in the form-fitting shorts in the front of this piece but I am mere flesh and blood so I can not help myself especially in the face of that knowing smile seen in her close-up;  DotD Patti

Re: YOU CAN DO IT [September]

Another dance where there's poor light, it looks like there's a reliance on natural light coming through the circular window surrounding the stage, but apart from all of that, it's quite a decent performance, the moving inset images are an interesting concept, but are rather distracting.
Heath & Safety, would have a field day, with the dancing in high heels atop of that podium, if this one had been made for today.

7/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: YOU CAN DO IT [September]

I've resolved to succumb to temptation on the back row!

Re: YOU CAN DO IT [September]

Andeebee
I really hate this song, I hated it back then and still hate it now (it was seen for many years propping up various charity outlets). it really is bad.

Again the routine suffers far too much from being too  dark and too far away, we only see the dancers in light when the cameras zoom in, but it isn't sufficient enough to warrant repeat views, but hey as it's Savile show, i won't grumble.

Oh ok i will, it really is too stark, of late TOTP dance clips are suffering from being too dark, too much smoke, too far away you get the picture.  Sadly i can't energized by the BBC box of tricks with the glass elevator inserts.

Sadly not high marks for me;

Scores: 7.5/10

DOTD; I'll be joining SF on the back row subs bench....Sue

Re: YOU CAN DO IT [September]

Oh OK SF I admit there's temptation all around

Re: YOU CAN DO IT [September]

Adorable Gillusion
7/10   DOTD...Sue

Re: YOU CAN DO IT [September]

AC/PD
Al. Hudson and The Partners. Who were Hudson's partners? Seattle Sounders midfielders? The song's a strange one, being catchy but with a slightly disposable quality to it too.
The lighting arrangement, although dimmed, do manage to bring out the best in the semi-transparent material used to fashion clothing which differs from shorts to pantaloons. At the risk of causing consternation within the Patti Platoon, I was so distracted by Gill's ankle bangle that the close-up on their favourite dancer took a while to be noticed. Eventually she most certainly was noticed though as are five out of the six who receive generous camera allowance despite the distracting miniturised rectangular effect.
The lesser-spotted Lulu gets the platform second closest  to terra firma, although it's not through fear of another ankle-damage incident because interestingly she's on a high one within the rectangular incursion which is also had a brighter lighting arrangement.
The smallest leg, Pauline, gets the highest platform and, like the others, doesn't put a foot wrong in a dance style and tempo which really does suit her, as does white gear. How long until Together We Are Beautiful?
7/10
DOTD:
 One from the top please Carol/Rachel...Pauline.

Re: YOU CAN DO IT [September]

Gorgeous Daze
Pauline's Dimples wrote
At the risk of causing consternation within the Patti Platoon,
All was calm at HQ as you had redeemed yourself, PD. Up to exclusively in bold 'DOTD...Pa', that is.

Re: YOU CAN DO IT [September]

PattiforPM
Yes PD, that predictive text can be a real issue

Re: YOU CAN DO IT [September]

Old Grey Whistler
I am struggling to get on board with this one.  The set seems very sterile and the lighting leaves a bit to be desired. The song is average at best and I really hate those rectangular blocks that keep going up and down the screen. They just remind me of pop up internet adverts and they do nothing to enhance the production. I was all set to give this a really low score but luckily the two redeeming features are that the girls are looking good and dancing nicely.  At first glance it looks as though Gill has an electronic tag on her ankle!
Pauline catches my eye the most and so gets DOTD and my score is 7 out of 10.
Stu

Re: YOU CAN DO IT [September]

Stu
I've not heard this song before, and I don't really care for it, it just seems to repeat a fairly naff hook. Girls look great though, I like the set, and I like the routine, so a difficult one to score.

7.5/10

DOTD - Pauiline

Stuey

Re: YOU CAN DO IT [September]

I don't care much for this one.Having the set and costumes in white is a mistake i think.I don't care much for the dancing either.They can't be great all the time though.6/10
DotD:Patti

Re: YOU CAN DO IT [September]

Andy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: YOU CAN DO IT [September]

Mikey
I adore this routine, its quite simplistic in its implementation just dancing on vari-height white blocks yet quite addictive as i find myself repeating it just to catch all the subtle nuances, such as the lean back ass shaking (well i dont know what else to call it), those one legged shimmys and so on. The various white outfits are well designed with some sort of strange hair accompanyment, but Patti really looks the biz to me in those shorts, and gives some cute looks to camera that defy description, its almost as if she is saying, go on pick me!

The song is ok disco fodder (sounding a lot like Leon Haywards - 'Dont push it', more on that one next year), but its narritive works well for the type of dances Legs and Co are doing in '79, and even the editors new toy the sliding picture effect does not spoil it. A totally fab 9/10, DOTD Patti