YOU GAVE ME LOVE [May]

YOU GAVE ME LOVE  Dance/performance number 220 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Crown Heights Affair  reaching number 10 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  29/05/80  Duration of dance 2.34 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 200  (Well done to Pauline on this)
Sue      199
Rosie    197
Patti     194
Gill       193
Lulu      189
A link to the dance --OFTDs blog--http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=1356

After the agony of suicide comes the ecstasy of love. What a difference 7 days makes and as a Legs & Co fan, this is exactly what i signed up for. Dressed in cute silk little dresses with silky drawers to match, they produce a little belter of a routine, one that ive always liked. The setting in amongst the audience works well as does the two banks of three. Lots of standard Flick stylee moves to ogle at, with the Lulu head pointing thing the highlight for me. Sorry, i dunno much about the artists, but i adore the song, once again the perfect fayre for Legs.

Our presenter Kid Jensen gets his intro spot on with "right its party time on top of the pops", with the audience all armed with those hand held streamer things. Yes the party atmos that will so dominate proceeding from this moment on on the show has begun.

So thats it for Legs & Co in 1980 for ten weeks. But dont feel to sad for them. At long last these six gals can bump up their bank balances a bit by hitting the club/cabaret scene without the constraints of being tied to television Center and after all, its nice to earn a little extra isnt it.

DOTD--Again im drawn to `Lulu`. What a delightful young woman she is.

Rating--I was around the 9/9.5 region for this. But after watching it again for about the 100th time in my lifetime, i did feel a sense of emotion with it being the end of an era if you know what i mean. Im going to slightly hold back from being an all out emotional wreck, and award it `9.75 out of 10`.

Just also a word for the departing Kid who will be away now right up to the very last knockings of Legs tenure on the show. All i can say is that he was the consummate professional and extremely adept at presenting the show. Sadly some of his successors wont come anywhere close to him in that regard.

A word also to Pauline on becoming the first member of Legs & Co to take part in 200 different Legs performances. Remember thats includes solos, indeed anytime she appeared on the show whilst a member of Legs. Well done to Pauline then.

Re: YOU GAVE ME LOVE [May]

Pretty much everything about this routine is perfect:the matching pony-tails,the fab costumes,a lively audience packed in close around the dancers.There is such a dizzy joy to this dance i just love it.All the jumping up and down shaking their heads is great.I love Lulu's 'i was thinking',but i think Gill is simply fab in this.10/10
DotD:Gill

Re: YOU GAVE ME LOVE [May]

Yup this is a classic Dance and the ladies look utterly divine.  How can you possibly not love these angels?  I'm left speechless they're so good and the choreography fits this fine Dance-beat like a glove.  There are many highlights and I find myself wavering considerably over DotD particularly during Patti's enactment of "the way you touch me" but in the end my Archangel is Gill  too.  10/10   Great work.

PS  I do hope Jez gets to comment on this one as I've heard him rave over it a number of times if memory serves

Re: YOU GAVE ME LOVE [May]

I quite like the idea of a ballet set to a disco beat, & Ithink that this is what we have here, & notice the girls' footwear, ballet style, with what looks like kitten heels, just a twist, referencing the traditional platform boots of disco dancing.
The audience does get rather near to the ladies, maybe a tad too close at times, but they don't really get in the way of the action, as in the case of some dance routines, I really like the face-pulling, that just goes to show, what a fun performance this must've been for both the dancers, & their audiences alike.

8/10

Lulu

Re: YOU GAVE ME LOVE [May]

Another enjoyable outing for our 'leggy' troupe although, despite it fitting the beat very well, there is too much hopping about for me.  I'm forever thinking as I watch that it must have been murder on the thigh muscles!
And, never being a fan of audience intrusion, in Flicks shoes I'd have had them rather further away, so far away in fact that they were invisible!  With all the ladies handling the dance so well choosing a Dotd is neigh on impossible but, even though her hair length left her a little challenged in the ponytail department, I'm choosing Sue with an 8 for the routine.

Re: YOU GAVE ME LOVE [May]

It must have been some achievement for Sue to have been able to fashion a ponytail for this dance, whereas come the D.I.S.C.O. routine, she's the only dancer without one.
Speaking of discos, by a strange quirk of fate and not a little amount of hindsight, the oncoming enforced break gives the dance an End of Year/term party feeling, such is the freedom of expression pervading the air - holidays, here we come! No problems with the proximity of the audience whose animations are a few levels up from their half-hearted default mode, helping to enhance the feel-good factor. Although this isn't the first (Earth, Wind and Fire's Saturday Nite), I wonder if Michael Hurll noted Legs & Co. being on the same level as the camera-facing audience and thought "Hmmm....that works"
Lulu reuses Rosie's old head-pointing motion to signify brain activity, spring-footed Patti looks to be the most adept at deftly flicking on a football and close-up confusion reigns when Rosie and Gill are shown in the same frame (not the first time one's been mistaken for the other) However, there's no chance of Rosie taking the DOTD honour through false identification in a dance routine which is rudimentary but immensely fun and enjoyable.
9/10
DOTD: Gill

Re: YOU GAVE ME LOVE [May]

VintageVideos
Another of those nondescript 1980 disco tunes that Legs & Co. had to dance to. The party atmosphere was surely meant to enhance the performance but I'm not quite sure if this goal was achieved.
The first half of the routine is more or less standard L&C, but things do improve considerably in the second half with loads of nice close-ups. I'd rate the first half 8 and the second 9, which results in an average of

8.5 / 10

DotD: Lulu

Re: YOU GAVE ME LOVE [May]

brandonb
7.5/10 DOTD: Patti

Mixed feelings about this one. The song is ok, the costumes and pony tails are fab. But the choreography doesn't work so well for me personally. Too much jumping up and down - which to me makes it look more like aerobics than dancing during those bits. This may have been a constraint of having the audience gathered around restricting space. It does seem to improve as it goes on. Lulu's head pointing was amusing - but Patti's quivering hand showing she really means it when gesturing towards the camera trumped it for me for DOTD.

What's with all the feather dusters in the audience? Did they get them to clean up the studio after the show? ;)

Re: YOU GAVE ME LOVE [May]

I distantly remember all the vocals to this one. Except the words. Yes...it was the sound of celebration. An octave lower and it could have made the terraces. I'm very much won over by the euphoria now and Flick's devised the ideal feel-good sort of routine to wipe away last week's misery. If only it hadn't come back to haunt us at Number 1! But though stoked with some things to wave the audience are half-hearted and far from Hurlling themselves into the party spirit, as if set up to demonstrate the need for a shake up. The girls are quite delicious in teeny baby doll dresses, pogoing for joy, bouncing those cutesy pony tails. It's not a dance where they have to stretch themselves but that's of little matter to me when they're spreading the love this irresistibly. My one problem with it is the soft lighting. It's a natural for romance and fine for a night out, but when we're supposed to be invited to the party? Hmm. They're all candy-dates for party queen. Gill's reverse shimmy done Just Like That nearly steals the show, but thinking on it it's Lulu I've decided on.   8.5/10

Re: YOU GAVE ME LOVE [May]

After last weeks low score by me. We come back this week with a high score. We have our six ladies dancing in front of the audience. Who are are waving streamers in the air. When the song starts our ladies are doing a jumping movement to it. Our ladies are wearing silky short dresses with cheffon pink top. We also see our ladies with poney tails but poor Sue's poney tail look like a tuffed hair, than the other ladies. I wonder what Sue thought of the poney tail at the time. We have some nice solos from our ladies through out the routine. The ones that stand out for me are by Lulu and the one by Patti. Just a nice get up go performance by our ladies.

The Dotd must go to Lulu for nice bit she did in her solo.

The score must be 9 out of 10.

Re: YOU GAVE ME LOVE [May]

Suefan
Pony tails are best confined to the playground !

Re: YOU GAVE ME LOVE [May]

AC/PD
Nothing to do with the fact that your fave seldom does one, SF.

Keep 'em in the playground!

Re: YOU GAVE ME LOVE [May]

Adorable Gillusion
8/10    DOTD...Gill

Re: YOU GAVE ME LOVE [May]

Not really PD.  I suppose it more a case of 1 Corinthians 13:11.
Suefan
Stu

Re: YOU GAVE ME LOVE [May]

Stu
Good stuff.

8/10

DOTD  Lulu

Re: YOU GAVE ME LOVE [May]

Indeed, what a difference a week makes. Bright colours, a lively studio atmosphere, and an amazing tune make for two-and-a-half-minutes of sheer fun and great energy.

After "Strut Your Funky Stuff", this is the routine which, to me, makes you want to join in - in fact, the first time I saw the routine, I thought we were on course for our girls to invite some lucky fellas in the audience to put their streamer-hat-things down and jump with them all around the studio floor! (Mind you, it wasn't until the BBC Four screening that I also realised the cardigan colour scheme was 2x(pink+yellow+peach)...)

Dancer of the Day: ...and also, like "Strut Your Funky Stuff", I'm attracted most to the lovely Lulu, who once again conveys the greatest sense of fun and freedom.

Score: Again, I can't muster a full score for this (I'm irked by a misplaced camera shot around 2.05 where you see Pauline and Gill walk out of shot, momentarily obscuring our view of Patti, Rosie and Lulu) - so the next best thing is a 9.5 from me.

P.S. Yay for Pauline for getting the first double-century of the Legs era

Re: YOU GAVE ME LOVE [May]

A great routine from our lovely ladies dancing to this song, and something a little different what with the party atmosphere and being so close to the audience, something that I think we see a lot more of due to the shake up that happens after the summer strike. All the girls are good in this performance, with each of them playing up to the camera, especially Gill and Lulu.

Rating 9/10

DOTD, Gill

Re: YOU GAVE ME LOVE [May]

Old Grey Whistler
Robin Nash manages to get a bit of a party atmosphere going for his final show and Legs & Co turn in quite an enjoyable performance.
I'll give it 8 out of 10.
Dancer of the day is Lulu.

Re: YOU GAVE ME LOVE [May]

Mikey
A sparkling smile-athon performance to this upbeat CHA track. Legs & Co look adorable rocking the pony tail look, bouncing up and down, and once again the costume dept have got their measurements wrong, giving us some very short outfits. The audience are no longer semi comatosed and seem to almost be enjoying themselves, not sure what the feather dusters are for perhaps the cleaners went on strike.

Fab stuff, 8.5/10, Lulu for DOTD

Re: YOU GAVE ME LOVE [May]

Doc
A nice party atmosphere dance. Very nice 9/10.
Dotd: Better vote for someone else for a change so I'll pick Gill.