Quantcast

YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER -- 04/10/1974

It's Pan's day again!

You Little Trustmaker
Performed by The Tymes and reaching number 18 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 04/10/1974 Duration of dance - 2.37 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF2NTQPYBT4

The Tymes were an American soul vocal group who scored five UK chart hits. Their first chart entry was way back in 1963, the second in 1969, and this – another five years later – was the third. Like many US artists, the Tymes did not appear on TOTP when "Trustmaker" entered the Top 30, leaving us another memorable Pan's People routine to enjoy from this star-studded TOTP edition which also featured David Essex, Pilot, The Wombles, David Bowie and Roxy Music, just to name a few.
"You Little Trustmaker" presents the girls in short skirts with ribbons in their hair, a more than obvious reference to the bunny girl image. But I'll leave it up to you guys to make further comments on the clothing…
Although the song is nothing special, the dance perfectly appeals to potential male viewers with lots of tempting looks and gestures and more than a little bum shaking. Yet the girls are always charming and never in danger to appear cheap or ordinary. Actually it's all very innocent compared to today's standards.
While I would not rate this a top performance, it's still a favourite and worth 9 out of 10. As Dancer of the Day, I'm torn between Ruth and Babs who both shine in this routine, but in the end it's got to be Babs (sorry Ruth!).
Vin

Re: YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER -- 1974

PattiForPM
Well I like this one.  The song is light and bouncy and the outfits are as cute as a button.  The serrated shorts are particularly eye-catching.  Lots of little smiles and appealing looks from everyone in this contribute to a general air of happiness.  The "cutesy" ones always play to Cherry's strength in my book but I quite agree that Babs is very good in this one and seems to be given some prominence on purpose.  For me Sue is very "quiet" and I find myself almost looking for her on a few occasions as she looks great.  The audience certainly looks pretty passive, which doesn't affect me at all but may draw some comments from others perhaps.  All in all this is a fine watchable Dance and I would award 8.5/10 with Babs getting the nod for DotD.

Re: YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER -- 1974

BeautifulBabs
prepare to read an epic review
VV we a due a dud soon you are spoiling us.

Re: YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER -- 1974

PattiForPM
I suspected there was a danger of hyperbole from BB on this one.  Here we go.....

Re: YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER -- 1974

BB there'll be no dud in the first 7 weeks until I posted at least one routine from each year. After that we'll see.
Vin

Re: YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER -- 1974

Absolutely love this one, simply brilliant. A million times better than last weeks dirge. The outfits are mega cute, so soft and silky to the touch i shouldn't wonder and with matching hair bows. Those 1974 platform shoes are quite high, but these girls are rock steady. So many moves in this appeal to me, a particular favourite is when Sue points and mouths the word `You`.  I often wonder what those audience girls are thinking standing there, arms folded peering up at 5 dancers with a job they would all love to have.
  Dancer of the day is a tough choice. Quite frankly young Sue could get this, but i have to agree with my colleagues above. It has to be Babs, faultless and looking quite devine.

Rating, well as i eluded to i love this routine and could watch it over and over again, so its 10 out of 10 from me.

Re: YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER -- 1974

Likes/loves -where do I start ? Reasons as follows :
Ending- most routines just fade out but this doesn't it has a rehearsed ending to finish with the record.
Song- from the opening doobie doobie doobies it doesn't get much better than this and is a fine example of a typical motown type track Pans excelled at
If I show people why I like Pans on my phone at work - this is one I usually choose
Can imagine Mary Whitehouse getting enraged watching this and complaining to the BBC
Great Babs routine her finest hour of her later performances- she blasts the hand jives as the routine opens and it just gets better.
Fantastic Ruth OTT arm movements at the end of the row Ruth trademark
Sue -doing you gesture at the camera
Dee dee hair out of control over face
Cherry on top form
The audience look absolutely speechless in shock as they watch this unfold
Rear wiggles fun but not smutty and show what beautiful figures the girls have.
Fast routine
Timing is excellent - in spite of the speed no obvious mistakes
Outfits gorgeous
The girls look like they are having fun more than ever and it's infectious

Dislike-
we don't get an encore
Babs wobbles a bit at the end.
Jimmy intro in company of a girl will prevent this being shown much more
there is no eight girl version including Lousie flick and Andi
Can't award this more than 10
It nearly gives me heart failure

In conclusion :

The Tymes thankyou for not getting on plane to UK that week
10.5/10  and Babs dancer of the day though expect VV to downgrade to a 10.
Flick this is a masterpiece brilliant shift
Tend to agree Ryan this is far better than Jeremiah the bullfrog- perhaps I was a bit generous with that one but I did not know this was coming the week later.

Re: YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER -- 1974

VintageVideos
beautifulbabs wrote
Tend to agree Ryan this is far better than Jeremiah the bullfrog- perhaps I was a bit generous with that one but I did not know this was coming the week later.
Time to change your signature then and thanks for the elaborate post
Vin

Re: YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER -- 1974

A very discerning choice, VV.  Nice tight movements among all five, even the "literal" ones aren't hackneyed as they could be.  Some clever moments are included, like the "backwards glance" shot at 1:32 onwards, and they definitely turn out the "cute" throughout.

The only thing I don't get about this routine is the set - what is meant to represent? All theories welcome.

My score: 8.5

My dancer of the day: I'll follow the crowd and go for Babs - I can't see her make any notable errors at all, and she excels in taking the first lead part of the routine.

Re: YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER -- 1974

A simple routine, & yet one that really hits the spot in terms of giving you much food for thought, against a backdrop of barber's poles group of what looks like a group of bunny girls, provide the dancing entertainment, particular highlights are the camera moving to each dancer in turn to do little twirl, Babs appearing to make sure that she's on camera before wiggling her backside, & the group pose of the camera at the end.

9/10

DotD:-

Babs

Re: YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER -- 1974

I haven't seen this since i put it up, yeah it's a cute piece, not a classic but cute silver bunnies, shaking tussies.

What more does a grown guy want thou to induce a heartattack ???

(still haven't given a Pans routine a 10 yet - and have done)

10

DOTD - Ruth

Re: YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER -- 1974

bucksby
I like this song better than Ms Grace and the routine fits it well. Love the bows in the girls hair a sort of added cuteness an 8 for me

Re: YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER -- 1974

Another good number/dance combo... (Whoever is choreographing these sure knows what she's doing :)
I could have done with the cameraman being just a little less hasty in panning to the right at the 1.37/1.38 mark though, but that aside this is captivating stuff and gets an 8.5.

Re: YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER -- 1974

BeautifulBabs
Does Sue not get dotd Suefan ?

Re: YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER -- 1974

Lookmacinanger
This post was updated on .
9/10 for the overall performance and DOTD well Babs was running this one wasn’t she!

Re: YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER -- 1974

Old Bill
All very nice. But again I can't help thinking some bits are made to look a bit 'stompy' caused by the platform shoes they've got on. And I don't the audience were very moved by it though!

But other than that I more or less agree with everyone else.

Sue looks devine at around 48 secs in, and I quite enjoyed the zoom in on Cherry & Dee Dee about 10 seconds later!

8/10 and Ruth for DotD for her singing.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER -- 1974

From where I'm sitting BB all the dancers in this number deserved that accolade and as I find choosing a DotD difficult I'm limiting myself in that regard.

Re: YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER -- 1974

they lost 2 marks for being stompy ?

sorry Old Bill meant in jest

Re: YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER -- 1974

yes I was just trying to lobby for Babs to win this dotd but I think she is home now !

Re: YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER -- 1974

BeautifulBabs
This alternative  YLT routine is on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1JbRZ9CHVc

It only gets a four from me but is worth a look because of the purple tops and white trousers, but they are good for their age and deserve more than the sparse audience.