YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 15/08/1974

YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 15/08/1974

You Make Me Feel Brand New
Performed by The Stylistics and reaching number 2 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 15/08/1974 Duration of dance - 3.10 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
http://oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=783

The Stylistics are an American vocal group formed in 1968. Between 1971 and 1974 they hit the US Top 10 five times, their biggest success being this week's offering which peaked at No. 2. During that time, the Stylistics were produced by Thom Bell who was impressed by the falsetto voice of lead singer Russell Thompkins, Jr. Most of their hits from those years were smooth ballads.

Even though "You Make Me Feel Brand New" proved to be a big hit in the UK as well (same peak position as in the US), the Stylistics had generally been more successful in the US until then. Of course this changed completely when Hugo & Luigi took over production duties. With the help of arranger Van McCoy, their style shifted to lighter pop & disco. The Stylistics never again made the US Top 40 after 1974, but in the UK their new musical direction was embraced and rewarded with another six Top 10 hits, among them the No. 1 "Can't Give You Anything (But My Love)".

For fans of the dancers, the Stylistics are very special as our troupes danced to no less than nine of their singles, seven of those being performed by Pan's People.

"You Make Me Feel Brand New" had originally been recorded for the album "Rockin' Roll Baby" in 1973 in its full length version of 5 1/2 mins. In the UK, it was first released on a single in April 1974 as the B-side of "Only For The Children" (which the Stylistics even performed on TOTP). When the 45 bombed, it was reissued in June with "... Brand New" as the A-side and "... Children" on the flip, ultimately peaking at No. 2 on the charts. As a result, the 4.45 min single edit was also included on 1974‘s "Let's Put It All Together" album.

TOTP 15/08/1974 was just the second show after a seven week strike. The regular presenter for that edition was Noel Edmonds, but most of the acts were introduced by members of a very popular family – the Osmonds. A few years ago, our friend Jez made a post to explain how the Osmonds came to be the TOTP hosts:

"The TOTP co-hosted with Noel Edmonds and the Osmonds was done the same week as the Osmonds did a nightly TV show for the BBC for a week. The TOTP edition was filmed in the same studio with the same scenery as the other 3 or 4 Osmond shows, with the audience seated. This show only showed up again recently over the last few years, apparently it was misfiled under the Osmonds and not TOTP".

Donny Osmond was the lucky one to introduce Pan's People, and as if that wasn't enough, he had to boast about visiting the rehearsals that afternoon, "just me and five beautiful girls". Yeah stop it Donny, that's already more than we can bear!

The dance is a beautiful routine with long red gowns and lots of swirls and spins. Cherry and Ruth are featured prominently in the first part and I must say, they look rather lovely. One thing that caught my eye, if you play this back to back with "When Will I See You Again" which was performed the week before, you can't help but notice that there's a striking similarity between those two dances. However, the music is much slower here, the dresses aren't half as fashionable and, caused by unfavourable lighting, many of the close-ups are somehow unsatisfying. All in all, I find this routine is not the most exciting but it is still very nice to watch.

8 / 10

DotD: Cherry

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 1974

Suefan
Lots of fine spins and swirls, although I'm not entirely convinced that gown swishing to such a slow tempo really works that well as inevitably it introduces a slightly laboured feel at times.  The costume colour scheme is also, at least in my eye, something of a clash, while the extra high waistband and odd feather tops don't help.  So while I like the song and enjoy the dance it only gets a 7 with Cherry, partly for her impressive little burst of speed at the 3.00 mark, for Dotd.

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 1974

Here's an example of why Pan's People are quite rightly held in such high esteem, it's dance routines like this one, where there's such a grand visual display.
Never straying from a linear formation, the ladies dressed to impress, emphasise their costumes by wrapping them around themselves, whilest pausing to hang their peach-coloured dresses in the air, as they gracefully dance about what looks like a fairly intimate stage, of a relatively small size, & Babs leads the act methinks.

9/10

Babs

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 1974

PaulF
A very pleasant routine with plenty of fluent skirt swishing and twirling 8/10.

DOTD Broke from the ranks and gave us a nice little solo with a sexy flirtatious look over her shoulder. The raunchy but demure Ruth.
Paul

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 1974

PansLegs
A slow balled from the Stylistics but a good song and a straightforward but good routine to match. Performed under rather different circumstances than in the usual Television Centre studio 3, at the BBC TV Theatre, the home to many variety style productions like The Val Doonican Show and later thrice weekly chat show Wogan. The audience seating arrangement with stalls and circle allowing for extra capacity for the crowd of screaming teenagers desperate to be close to their idols The Osmonds. Along with Noel Edmonds, they introduce this rather different Top of The Pops with American aplomb as screams ensue from behind the camera.

It's all about long flowing dresses with plenty of swish and sway that seems to fit the mood and slow pace of the track well. There's some nice, almost solo moments, when Cherry followed by Ruth come closer to the camera during the verse with the remainder of the group in the background. There's nothing spectacular about the choreography but it does seem to be more than the sum of its parts somehow.

Pans reappear again at the end, as does the entire cast of the show, with everyone dancing to an orchestral version of The Osmonds' 'Having a Party'. It's a bizarre sight, with the likes of Noel, The Three Degress, The Bay City Rollers and others all having a boogie together, with Pans at the back swishing and swaying. 8/10 DotD Cherry

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 1974

Delightful performance executed to perfection. But somehow this doesn't reach the top echelon for me. I do quite like the simple ending though, with the skirt swishing.

`Cherry` is in her pomp around this time and she gets my DOTD nomination.

Rating. `8.5 out of 10`.

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 1974

mojo2007
Very pleasant but not an epoch making number. I feel 9 is generous.    As for number one dancer, I will own up to having a thing about the backs  of beautiful girls  ,  so selecting Ruth is easy.

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 1974

Well I like this one with its slow graceful vibe and soothing tone.  It doesn't hurt that Cherry and Ruth step forward for expressive early solos and I too appreciate the copious swishing although I do notice that Cherry gives us an extraneous swish near the end and it looks as if she almost persuades Sue to join her before the Goddess's faultless dance-memory kicks into gear.  Anyway the whole thing is eminently watchable for me and I have to give 9/10  and despite over-swishing I can't withhold Cherry's prize for DotD due to her lovely solo .  Must say I do like saying the word swish but not as much as I like watching it.

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 1974

bucksby
I like this dance. Taken from a bizarre edition of TOTP.  I must say I liked this stage setting better for this dance better than the normal TOTP studio.  There is no truly stand out dancer but Cherry pips it. 8 for the dance. More please!

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 1974

Old Grey Whistler
The screaming girls on the intro and outro are annoying, as indeed are the Osmonds, but the dance is pleasant enough without being very memorable and their dresses are nice. There is probably an over reliance on dress swishing and I feel that the routine runs out of steam a little. The song is okay but I am not a huge fan of the Stylistics.
Lets score this 7.75 out of 10 and give Ruth DOTD.

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 1974

Gorgeous Daze
A glittering curtain was enough to signify a lavish occasion in the seventies. Add in a lush ballad and ball-gowns and you've got the template for classy Pan's. This has a very nice and elegant start and then Cherry's solo begins to give it the makings of a top-quality routine. She has a greater ability than Ruth to finely interpret and transmit emotion and it's no surprise she of all of them went into acting. But then it becomes like a football match where all the goals are scored in the first half and after a few notable second half moments it just drifts to a conclusion. The skirt-swishing takes over and it's too much. It gets like watching five loads of whisked strawberry Angel Delight and when they're coming head-on it makes quite an untidy final accompaniment to a graceful song. Overall though there's enough that's pleasing on the eye for a decent score.

I was drawn to the developing beauty and talent of Sue. It's really endearing to note the little personal eras within an era of our dancers and how they grew as young women and performers. Cherry, however, deserves  DOTD this time for her solo.  8/10

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 1974

Colm
This is a delightful routine, and how nice it is to remain intact from the era in broadcast quality.

I love Cherry's conveying of emotion in her solo part, and all the dancer's spins are exquisite.

DotD: Cherry

Score: 8

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 1974

Old Grey Whistler wrote
The screaming girls on the intro and outro are annoying, as indeed are the Osmonds..
wise words

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 1974

PattiforPM
You just Can't Stop can you BB

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 1974

PattiForPM wrote
You just Can't Stop can you BB
He could try commenting and rating on this routine though

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 1974

BeautifulBabs
likes :
its the girls
Babs opening
do well to a slow not very dancy track great sedate skirt swishing and spinning
graceful movements and good camera work
costumes

dislikes :
polluted by the osmonds in particular donny's suggestion of a sixsome with the girls- during the rehearsal ... as if
screaming girls
that the osmonds did not visit again to perform i cant stop letting the girls off the hook
I don't play this much and if it was wiped i wouldn't call it the holy grail
dotd to cheryl a complete cutie here but overall this would be an early jettison from the pans balloon so just 8 and that overlooking the osmonds in hats picture Vin . any chance of any action tomorrow ?

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 1974

VintageVideos
BeautifulBabs wrote
any chance of any action tomorrow ?
Err, I'm afraid I don't get it

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 1974

Mikey
Well i can't fault the look of the ladies here, exquisite. What i'm less keen on is the setting looks a bit drab, and does not bring the usual TOTP feel, plus the Osmonds and their squealing fans can take a hike. Its all very sedate, nice and fluffy but wandering around skirt swishing and acting for the camera (Cherry and Ruth) seems a bit of a cop out, with only short bursts where a bit more life filters in, and then it starts to get more interesting. I guess the song may be a bit restrictive for offering much more, so i'll go 7.5/10 DOTD Sue.

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 1974

Andeebee
this certainly makes me feel brand new, on very viewing - I love this (can I say that).

Pure sophistication and class, danced rather elegantly but girls at the top of their profession, shame about the link hosted by the 1970's Justin Bieber.

Scores: 10/10

DOTD: Ruth by fracking miles

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW -- 1974

JEZ
This is another stylistics disc i love , the girls look very elegant in those nice orange red dresses , its a pity the song misses a verse , i wondef how flick coped when a routine missed a verse or so in the middle of a record she choreographed as a few she set a dance to tended tobdo this, i wonder if the record was transferred to a tape missing certain lines before rehearsels because i cant see flick keep going to the record playervand moving the arm on each time to further on the disc , or was a certain part of the dance edited out on transmission day i wonder , anyway the girls got the chance 2 weeks in a row to look glamourous in their posh dressesv, i give a 9