YOU MAKE ME FEEL -- [September]

YOU MAKE ME FEEL   Dance/performance number 124 by Legs & Co
Performed by   Sylvester  and reaching number 8 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date   21/09/78  Duration of dance --  2.41 mins
Dancers -- Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue.   Joined by Floid for this one

Pauline 115
Sue      113
Rosie    111
Patti     110
Gill       109
Lulu     109
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14qdm9_legs-co-you-make-me-feel-mighty-real-totp-tx-21-09-1978_creation

Crikey, here goes then. Firstly i will start with the positives. All six, erm i mean seven dancers perform quite admirably and put in a really good shift. But for me thats were the praise ends. Flick was presented here with a really fast paced disco number and as we all know it went on to become one of the iconic disco sounds of the 1970s. She had the chance to create a piece of choreography that would rival any routine from this year but in my opinion she blew this big style.

For some reason she decided it would be a good idea to include a male dancer. Why this should be is a total mystery to me. I say male dancer and who else would it be other than the resident TOTPs bob-a-job boy Floid, who again gets the phone call. I know that some folks on here will not take kindly to me criticizing Flick, but what was she thinking ? I can think of only one explanation as to why she thought this was a good idea, and i'm afraid i may raise a few more eyebrows with this theory.

 All i can think of is that Flick watched the promo video to this song, saw a cross-dressing black gay man and thought to herself, "aah, i know just the person to include in this". At this point i better stress that i have no idea about Floid`s personnel preferences and this is just an assumption by me. But please, if anybody can come up with tangible reasons why FP manged to get a part in this, then please say so.

I really hope though if you do give me a reason that it isn't simply because Flick and Legs & Co got on with him so well and that they felt comfortable on stage with him. I know all this, one only has to see the interaction on many occasions that Floid and the Legs girls dance well together. To be honest i don't have a problem with a male dancer or dancers joining the girls on stage if there is a specific role or purpose for them.

Examples of this are Floid donning his Santa suit, playing Patti's older bro or joining audience chaps to perform with Legs. Thats fine, its this routine in particular that gets my gander up, with Floid playing the proverbial fly in the ointment. Put it this way, would the good ole boys who follow Pans People have been happy if a male dancer would have infiltrated there best songs to dance to over the years. Would Babs, Dee Dee, Ruth et al have fancied a male dancer taking camera time of them back in the day, i think not. Again i realize that Ruby Flipper had come and gone and FC fancied working with mixed dancers or dance troupes, but thats no excuse for having FP on this.

Well ive banged on enough about why im so miffed about this routine. Fortunately male dancers become very scarce soon on Legs & Co routines. From memory, we have Patti being joined by Martin soon, yes i said Martin (Floid must have been on holiday that week, then again a Black Travolta wouldn't really have worked dancing to `Sandy`). We then have the six boys at Christmas making it dancing dozen for `Summer Nights`. We then have to wait until 1981 for menfolk to get with our girls again. Audience members on Abba's`Stars On 45`, Gill and a male audience plant on `Startrax` and Lulu and Jeremy on `Endless Love`. I reckon that it.

Back to this routine and the layout of the dancers. I really like the two rows of three, but just take note of positioning again. The two premier dancers at the front, maybe to deflect attention away from the fact that an erroneous presence is on stage. Note once again its Pauline whos in the unfavorable position, really unfair i think that. The actual dance moves Flicks devised for this work well, as do the costumes.

I think the ending is a bit naff, with those cheap and tacky light sabers, guess back then they were looked on as giving the wow factor, nowadays they are more akin to the type of thing one would find at Pound-land. In closing then, i would imagine my intro will not go down well in many quarters, and im fearing even Sue may come on and give me what for. But im not going to come on here and only promote the positives, this is a site were all views are welcome, even if they highlight the negatives. These are my opinions and im entitled to give them out, Cant wait to read your responses guys and im well prepared to have rotten fruit thrown at me.

DOTD-Well guys don't vote for Floid. DOTD is for members of Legs & Co only, not their mates. I'm going to give it to `Pauline`, because im fed up of her getting a raw deal stuck in positions that are not conducive to her gaining many votes.

Rating, well i'm hardly gonna go overboard on that am i. If this was sans Floid it would have been about 9. Because a Dandelion is amongst the rose bed then i'm going to knock that right back to `3 out of 10`. This was a opportunity lost for a great routine. (By the way, i much prefer the follow up routine to the next Silvester song in November, shame that it bombed in the charts)

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL -- 1978

Boy. That's a long review lol.

Right - my take.

I agree Floid seriously is not necessary in this (was he used in the cabaret version I wonder - I wouldn't think so), only a few male additional routines left, and then it's all Legs (hoorah)....and very nice one's as well.

the song, giving it the correct full title (which i will be using on DM tomorrow), You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) is a great track for the sweaty disco, but transferred to the TOTP studio looks like a damp squib, and falls flat of what it is supposed to achieve. It could of been a great dance routine along the lines of the Chic stuff, but opportunities so wasted....

Originally a piano driven gospel song, this was remixed by Patrick Cowley, and lo we have the release today.....it's upbeat and very dancey by it looks like a showcase for Floid only (maybe Arlene Phillips was watching at the time) the girls lovely as they are are just reduced to backing dancers (something that became more apparent in 1981)

I really don't see the point of drumming in the apparent homoerotic tones (eat at Joe's??!!) of the song, but I simply don't like this. It's a waste of a good routine, and the glo-stick part at the end (doesn't that remind you of 'From here To Eternity') so so unnecessary, prob Floid run out of moves, and thought the easier option swing some sticks.

The ladies look fab in sequined tops (used on various occasions - next in 'Blame it on The Boogie) and leather bits.

I could go on but I won't, I'll stop here......Floid thou you can't fault really, but seriously RF is long over, guess Flick felt guilty not getting to utilize his talents more (which he did with Hot Gossip)

Dotd - Patti, just for that long legged turn....

rating - 2.95

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL -- 1978

Hardly a review, more of a moan

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL -- 1978

Well I do think you're being a little hard on this Dance Ryan although I can see your points and I won't be eating at Joe's either.  Nevertheless the ladies look quite amazing in their leatherette and sparklies and those pins are to die for and this is a great Dance tune.  However I did find myself thinking about the Cabaret with just ladies and perhaps the long version of this song; wow!  The ending isn't ideal either but the action is fun and all in all I enjoyed this performance considerably despite a few drawbacks so I'm giving it 8/10  and awarding DotD to Patti for her exuberance and that initial leg lift turn with Floid although it's very close between the front two "strikers" in my estimation.  It'll be interesting to see how the membership reacts to this one...

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL -- 1978

Lookmacinanger
This post was updated on .
Will we have twelve angry men as the jury sit to pass judgement on You Make Me Feel Mighty Real?

(Well we’ve got two so far)

I’m fully aware Flick had a job on her hands time drawing inspiration and trying to produce originality week after week but I’m afraid this week’s inclusion of the guest dancer just didn’t work for me. I’m gutted as this memorable and ground breaking track Sylvester produced for us should be remembered as one of the jewels in the crown from Legs and Co 1978 vintage.

5/10. Dotd Patti

Was Patti struggling to make the final line up as it looks like Lloid, sorry Floid was putting her through a vigorous fitness test.

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL -- 1978

Hello Floid?? No, it is not good to see him again, Paul Burnett. Not when he's just dominated what could have been a very good routine, anyway. I've got a suspicion as to why he was brought back for this song, but I won't voice it as it might cause controversy. Besides, Ryan has more or less done it for me. I like Ruby Flipper and I'm able to judge them fairly objectively, by slightly different standards. But Legs & Co. are an all female troupe and we're conditioned time after time to seeing them as such. This is a hot High Energy routine what with them shaking their booties and all the rest of it. But from the perspective of the male heterosexual psyche, having Floid hogging the limelight ruins the aesthetics and physicality of the performance. You see, Ryan, I'm in your, er, camp. His presence in this one is neither necessary nor wanted, unlike in 'Lonely Boy' where a male role is called for.

The sequined and black leather/leatherette risqué look references the milieu from where 'You Make Me Feel' originated. Oh Lori! And how cool and ahead of the time are those glow-sticks? Ryan and I part company there. And even though you can see Gill and Sue scurrying away to pick them up off the floor! I really like the vibe at this point as the lights go low, the music gets hypnotic, and the vision mixer gets to work. And as an added bonus we're spared any more focus on Floid. It's a pity the audience doesn't seem to share my enthusiasm at this unexpected turn of events. Where did they think they were? Studio Fifty Bore?. The lettering in lights is a little curious too. It seems to be a hedging of bets between another appearance with the girls or the TOTPs debut of Motorhead.

Having said what I have it behoves me to add that Floid is on top form here, in his element and the girls clearly delight in his company. He would have been my DOTD had his dance been with Ruby Flipper. But I'm glad he isn't eligible because it would have been a grudging award today. So it's going to the red-hot leading lady to our left: Patti. She's impressing me so much lately I could end up staging a coup at the headquarters of her campaign manager.

Despite my big problem with this routine I'm going to be objective and differ with Ryan and Andee by giving it 8/10  as it is very good performance-wise. If only the barely there Pauline had swapped places with Floid.  It will be interesting to see what others have to say, I'm expecting some healthy disagreement.

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL -- 1978

Floid once again presents himself for an appointment with Legs & Co., but as it's a routine for a Sylvester track, maybe there would've been an extra dimension in this production if the aformentioned guest dancer had donned a dress, & played thepart of the flamboyant singer, miming to You Make Me Feel Mighty Real, as he danced with the ladies, who certainly looked the part in their stockings, presumably heating up the TOTPs studio even more.

Heaps of high energy dance moves on the stage, as is to be expected, although the studio audience did tend to get in the way of the action a tad.

7/10

DotD:-

Patti

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL -- 1978

Yep Gorgeous Daze, i will agree that Floid danced superbly here, but his presence was very unnecessary. Two years on from the demise of Ruby Flipper, the 19 year old Floid seemed to have developed a more athletic physique, and i can totally appreciate how Arlene Phillips acquired him for Hot Gossip. Is does make one wonder though if Thames TV had not gained Floid's services, would he have continued to be thrust upon the TOTPs audiences during 1979 and beyond ?

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL -- 1978

Suefan
You'll get no argument nor rotten fruit from me Ryan.  Even though I'm usually quick in mounting the white charger and riding to the defence of the lady from over the water I could also have lived quite happily without the seventh member of the troupe.  And not because I'm against the inclusion of male dancers per se, HOMS is amongst my favourite routines after all.  However, I'm sure Flick knew exactly what she was doing, I just wished she hadn't done it.
That said my stance is a little less vehement as I'm just not a big fan of this routine.  It is energetic, there are some good moves and the light sticks are a nice touch but for whatever reason it doesn't really grab me.  Now for the definitive black attired, light sticked wielding, extravaganza we'll be searching for another couple of years.

I remember Sue telling us that this dance featured in one of their cabaret shows, at the end of which the light sticks were lobbed gently into the audience.  However, watching the speed the girls are whirling them around I wonder if there was ever an occasion when one got inadvertently out of hand and made a premature flight into the crowd!?

Anyway I digress.  As usual I'm struggling to choose a Dotd but I'm going for a score of 5.

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL -- 1978

I don't mind this one and think it works fairly well with the song, the light stick bit didn't work too well but I think that was caused by the overlays making it look a bit messy. I'll give it an 8.
Dotd: I'm going for Rosemary who was also hidden at the back with an honourable mention for Lulu.

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL -- 1978

PaulF
I must agree with Ryan here (although perhaps not quite as passionately) anything that detracts attention or camera time from our six lovely ladies is a negative, and poor Pauline why did she bother getting out of bed that day. A what should be a good score for the routine is reduced to 4/10 for the above reasons. DOTD Lulu.
Paul

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL -- 1978

Andeebee
Pauline's lack of camera time is u-turned on the next routine.....hoorah
Hopelessly Devoted to Sue

LNV

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL -- 1978

LNV
This jolly dance has become somewhat controversial it seems due to the inclusion of -it’s that man again - Funky Floid. The very fact that the lovely ladies, as they are often referred to by ourselves on here are noticeably enjoying themselves in the performance should award it at the very least a marking of half way, certainly nothing lower than that.  Ryan’s distaste for Floid’s inclusion is not one to be argued against but let not that bring a dampener to what is after all a lively and happy dance occasion. As Patti4PM remarks those are pins to die for. Gone are the ill-fitting gold trousers to reveal shapely legs in black stockings that nimbly step out the dance moves.

Floid does look ready to join the alternative dance troupe Hot Gossip, outfitted as he is in his leathers and displaying a more manly physique; which has replaced the youthful puppy-fat of his Ruby Flipper days. I don’t think that Floid gained the respect that was his due in that Alternative Troupe either, as he would have liked, but that is another story.

Here, with his lady-pals Legs & Co beside him, for the most part as accompaniment, intentionally so by Flick as a fitting send-off for Floid, a farewell showcase of his skill before he leaves the TOTPs scene. Floid is the central attraction of the piece, frustrating as that is for nearly all of us, I find in watching the Routine that this is a fine outing for the Girls, almost of vintage quality of a good year of 1978. Unfortunately in its presentation it has become slightly corked, soured by a too heavy prominence of Floid and misuse of overlay at the end. Nevertheless the bubbly, sparkling effervescent joy of Legs & Co still is able to rise to the surface and impact on my senses wonderfully.

In counterbalance to Floid, who in fairness only does what as is asked of him and rather well, is – that Girl again – Lulu! Her dance feet are firmly on the accelerator from now onwards, maybe it was driving the Roadrunner Car that gave her the idea to at last breakaway from her demure RF image and strut her stuff with such power. No one comes close to her breast and butt wiggles. Lulu even has a moment in the Routine to whisper in Floid’s shell-like, smiling merrily as she does so. Whatever Lulu said it almost for fractionally of a second, off-balanced him ! Lulu has that affect on me and I am looking at a 30 plus year old performance ! If only going back in a time machine was truly possible…

Rosie again grabs my attention also, placed at the back but so what ? The camera captures her radiant smile which akin to those poor man’s light-sabres used at the end of the Routine, dazzles this viewer and lights up the screen. Rosie squats show-off her womanly physique marvellously. I am aware that there are others in the Routine also but…often those double stars shine so brightly for me in the Legs & Co firmament that it is difficult for me to turn my gaze elsewhere.

Cricky ! This is too long. Ryan’s ploy has worked. I heard rumblings of discontent and just had to take a look…oh well. I mean 3/10. You must be having a larf surely ?

8/10. Lulu. Should be Rosie too but I can only choose one per dance. Lulu’s unbridled enthusiasm to make each dance performance a jolly good time for the viewer is worthy of much praise, and possibly shows some insight into what a generous spirit she has ?

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL -- 1978

LNV, think of my low rating as a `protest rating`. Like i said, sans Lloyd, i mean Floid, it would have been 8 or 9.

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL -- 1978

Andeebee
yes it would of been alot higher (7/8), but I see it as a Floid showcase for talent scouts, and hey I marked it lower than Ryan....

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL -- 1978

Likes
Song
Floid is like john travolta - fantastic solos and moves
Fast dance
Just like a scene from saturday night fever
Girls seem to enjoy floid being centre of attention
the last few secs and lighting awesome
very watchable and fun

Dislikes
girls outfits- jackets and chains not right for a routine with a lot of arm movements- contrast floyd with clear arms.
runway a bit too narrow limits choreography
Hair- this should not be a swishy hair routine- girls would look better with shorter hair in a fast routine
audience background too close to dancers
some timing issues
Pauline sidelined in camera exposure
8 and dotd Floid who is the star even though that might not be a good thing for legs themselves

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL -- 1978

Thanks Babsy, i appreciate you taking part in this and look forward to further input from you regarding Legs & Co 1978 and beyond. Unfortunately i cant enter your selection of Floid for DOTD onto any scoreboards as DOTD is reserved only for six very special ladies and not invited guest dancers. I know you are a big fan of Pans People and im interested in your opinion whether they also should have invited the odd male dancer onto TOTPs to dance with them. I guess times had moved on by 1978, but i couldn't see that idea going down very well with early 1970s audiences.

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL -- 1978

This routine seems to be very controversial for certain reason. So I will deal with this first, reading Ryan posting was very interesting on this routine. That Ryan point of view could be right after looking at the routine again. That Floyd should be in this routine. It certainly worked in other routine were you needed a male dancer eg: Lonely Boy. Flick Colby must to have a reason to bring Floyd into the routine. It would have been interesting to see the live version of this routine. So I wonder if its a long routine in time live than on the television version.

But now let talk of the routine. Our ladies and one other were in two rows with Floyd in the middle. All the ladies were wearing the same costumes. These were a leather jackets over a leather bottom half with a sparkly top half leotard. And black stocking that fits them fine legs, stop my beating heart. The right hand row consist at the front Sue and followed by Gill and Pauline. the other row consist Patti followed by Lulu and Rosie. And sandwiched between them our controversial dancer.The ladies dance at some speed for this very up tempo record. Sue dose one of her spins and Patti dose a wonderful high kick in air. the main solo come from our controversial dancer who dose a movement on the floor. While the ladies really go for it. Forty - five second before the end of the routine. The ladies rush to back of the stage and pick up small light sticks. the studio lights are turned down. The ladies starts swinging the light sticks around to the hypnotic beat of the song to the end.

the song that they are dancing to, " You Make Me Feel by Sylvester ", is one of the best disco records of the period.

And now to score the routine. I can see ryan view on this dance, and might have been better without Floyd in it. So my score is still high for the song and the ladies 8 out of 10.

Dotd is tricky one, because all the ladies are good. But the two stand out dancer for me are Patti and Sue. So the dancer am going to say as to be Sue.

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL -- 1978

Ok Ryan- in that case I think Sue does the best job here she is my dotd.
Come to think of it I dont rate any Pans routines with interfering males highly - john denver the major culprit, but also morecambe and wise and georgie fame. Pans did dance with male dancers on the lulu show in the 60s but never on totp I think.
I've just had this awful thought of Lionel Blair popping up in a pans routine - how bad would that have been...

Re: YOU MAKE ME FEEL -- 1978

Colm
I like Floid in this routine. Sorry, guys.

DotD: Patti

Score: 8
12