YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- [June]

YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME Dance number 44 by Legs & Co
Performed by Ruth Davis & Bo Kirklandand reaching No 12 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 16/06/77 -- Duration of dance 2.26 mins
Dancers--Gill,Lulu,Patti,Pauline,Rosie,Sue (Joined by Floid & 5 willing audience members)

Pauline 42                       Lulu 41
Rosie 42                          Gill 40
Sue 42                            Patti 37
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24ywdo_legs-co-you-re-gonna-get-next-to-me-totp-tx-16-06-1977_creation

Well wouldn't we have all liked to have been in the shoes of these five lucky chaps, plucked from the audience. Then again how nerve wracking must this be, in front of the nation, hand in hand with a member of Legs & Co and trying to look like you haven't got two left feet. One thing that does stand out for me in this is how the girls do seem to be enjoying this, how there skillfully guiding these 5 around the stage and making them feel at ease.
  Our friend Floid is back in the studio once more and pairs up with Pauline. No qualms with him on this one, at least one of the males on stage could actually dance. Sue seems to be paired up with Jesus of Nazareth, Gill with a beanpole of a man, Rosie with Floid's taller brother, i didn't notice the rest. All in all a quite enjoyable couple of minutes and the song was okay also. So im going to score this one a 8 out of 10.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

bucksby
It's quite a lighthearted routine and that isn't a bad thing. I like the song too, a track you don't hear a lot of these days. an 8 for me. The record got to number 12 in the charts Ryan.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

Cheers Bucksby, typo edited.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

Well I sound like a grumpy old ratbag on these comments recently but honestly I don't like this one either.  The song is just awful and I truly dislike these "grab-a-punter" routines.  I do envy the guys but they look so out of place and I find they just get in the way of the proceedings.  I would have been quite happy for this to have been Pauline and Floid doing a duet.  To top it off I think Patti chose a darn David Parton lookalike, just to torture me a bit more.  Rosie and Pauline get some reasonable airtime so I won't give it zero but I can only muster 3/10 for this (I am saving all my high scores and I promise there are some better ones coming from me soon)  I DO LOVE LEGS & CO, honestly.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

Another dance routine that called upon the usage of male dancers, Floid is once again drafted in to partner one of the Legs & Co. dancers, some other male dancers are dragged out of the audience by the Legs & Co. dancers, & it becomes immediately clear for all to see, that their just there to make up the numbers, not being professional, they're typically below-par, & look quit lost, Floid is easily the best male dancer here, & Pauline is the lucky lady who gets a dance with him. This may have been an experiment by Flick to gauge public reaction to possibly having a mixed-gender dance group once again, but she'd have to wait a little longer, Zoo were still over four years into the future!

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

Floid Fan
Not my favourite routine to feature Mr Floid and the Legs' girls. However the song which I originally thought very bland has grown on me a bit- I like the 'risng steps' so to speak in the tune every so often (Don't know what the technical parlance is for this)
The routine is attention-grabbing for having punters dragged up from the studio audience and 'Generation Game-like', having a go, so it's never boring watching how they try to cope with the dance steps.
Of course, Pauline and Floid are the best couple and inevitably lend a greater air of professionalism to the proceedings.
An 8 out of 10.
Carl

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

Suefan
A game effort from the girls but this is bottom of the barrel fare and no mistake.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

74benja81
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Stu

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

Stu
Are the guys other than Floid dancers? Or just very lucky guys plucked from the crowd? Jesus looks very uncomfortable during his dance with Sue, he keeps talking to her, maybe he's asking if she'd mind letting him return to his table or maybe he's asking her to marry him... both plausible. Rosie looks like she's got her work cut out with her pupil and I'm pretty sure Gills has had more wine than me tonight.

7/10

Stuey

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

LOL, no they are most definately `NOT` dancers. With the exception of Floid of course who was an excellent dancer.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

Andeebee
don't you wish you were plucked from the audience by Sue (sigh)

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

Old Bill
Where did they find those great lummoxes from?! And what a dull song.

Not much to say about this. Pauline looks great - seemingly enjoying herself as she's got a proper dancer.

Oh Lulu!!! You could've danced with me!!! Choose me next time!

I'm next to P4PM on this one, not into it at all. 4/10.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

Andeebee
2 for me - really don't like it

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

VintageVideos
Is it entertaining to watch people who obviously can't dance but are trying to do so? Here are Legs & Co pulling members out of the audience and making them look pitifully clueless. What is that supposed to be? An experiment? And the song makes me yawn. But can I just say that Pauline looks great!
3 /10 (2 of those just for Pauline)
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

Doc
A tough one for the girls having to lead round a load of leaden footed members of the audience. It is one dance that kills of the perception that the girls were quite tall. Just look how small Rosie is compared to her partner. Just a 6.
Still living in 1979

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

L&C4me

Pretty Pauline and Radiant Rosie, but mainly Pauline had the camera this time. She made good use of it with her lovely smile and graceful dancing. Not my favourite routine but the ladies were having fun. Well done to them for guiding the chaps from the audience.
Jim

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

Who's That Hurll

'You're Gonna Get Next To Me' sees Pauline and Floyd take the places of Ruth and Bo on centre stage, as we see 'Sir Duke's' circus ring being put to good use again. The other ladies pluck some flat foots from the audience to give them a Top of the Pops treat.
6/10  DOTD Pauline.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

Suefan
It isn't a turkey but not far of and it doesn't help that I really dislike the song.  As often these audience participation numbers fall a bit flat so I'll give this a measly 3.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

Old Grey Whistler
There is really not a lot going for this one.  Pauline & Floyd look good dancing together, and this should have been done as a duet without the others.  The song is rubbish, and with members of the public involved, the dancing was never going to be very sophisticated. I was more engrossed in trying to work out how tall Rosie's man-mountain of a partner was!
Mainly due to the efforts of Pauline and Floyd, I will score this one as high as 5 out of 10.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

Colm
I agree that this would have worked better as a Pauline/Floid duet, or at least the possibility of getting five other male dancers (Phil? Martin? Maybe even Gavin?!?) who are a bit of a distraction from the star couple.

Score: 6
123