YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- [June]

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

Angie
Yeah it's ok......always interesting to see selected members of the audience involved! A good fun routine.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

Lookmacinanger
I’d rather seen a sweet duet instead of this nice to meet you effort. As Floid and Pauline had been chosen as our couple it would have worked better to let them have centre stage instead of being distracted by the merry go round. 6/10

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

Mikey
Mildly amusing routine with some random blokes from the audience being dragged round in a circle by their Legs dance partner whilst Floyd and Pauline try to do a proper dance. The song is a bit dull but i did like the 'Batman' style horn noises .

Erm, its just a bit of filler really, nothing else to say so 3/10 plus a point for Pauline and Floyd trying to bring a bit of dance to the proceedings and another point for the Jesus lookalike.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

I'm not keen on this one.I don't like the song,and i don't like professional dancers plucking audience members out to dance because they only look awkward and incompetent.Pauline & Floid are good though.7/10.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- 1977

Gorgeous Daze
Gentlemen, you're required! Now here's one where the audience were never more lucky to have a literal interpretation. Though I doubt in their awkwardness they appreciated it at the time. No sweeter smiler lights up the kick-off. Sorry Floid, you're there to act as a sort of instruction book in gold lamé. The look is non-intimidatory girl-next-door attractive. And they have total doggie compliance. Well an attempt at. The lads play it safe, patent beginners, no-one trying to be John Travolta. John who? Gill gets the completely hopeless one, he looks like he's been dragged along from the Upper Sixth's Chess Society. Nice chemistry between the two central players, I don't mind the lights-down-low song, and I like the echo of the carefree Ruby summer of 76 feel to it. I enjoy it too as a mildly amusing diversion. It isn't one for repeated viewing like the best of the audience participatory kinds. There are better thought-out examples, but chiefly it's because on this one they're present the whole ruddy time.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- [June]

This is a routine that you see the return of Floyd dancing with Pauline. And the other ladies with five lucky guys from the audience. Dancing around Pauline and Floyd, the ladies pulling the guys around. The poor guys must have been very nevious doing it. But very lucky indeed, the ladies were wearing a white crop top and blue denim skirt. Not one of the great routine so a middling score.

The Dotd must be Pauline.

the score 7 out of 10.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- [June]

I must say that as much as I usually enjoy the audience participation routines, this is one that does very little for me, and the fact that I don't like the song doesn't help either. Fair enough it's amusing to see our lovely girls lead the lads around the dance floor, but after a couple of viewings the novelty soon wears off. A couple of the poor/lucky lads look really uncomfortable, I bet they wished at the time the floor would open and swallow them up. (I wonder if they knew beforehand that they were going to be picked?). I have to say the girls do look lovely, I like the denim skirts and cropped blouses which was probably very fashionable at the time.

Rating 5/10

DOTD Rosie does keep catching my eye, but Pauline is the star of this performance.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- [June]

GiLuRo wrote
 A couple of the poor/lucky lads look really uncomfortable, I bet they wished at the time the floor would open and swallow them up. (I wonder if they knew beforehand that they were going to be picked?).
Yes the male participation would have been arranged beforehand, a case of asking for volunteers. I guess not every man can move like Travolta and it shows quite clearly on this. Its nice to be able to at least try and dance with these lovely dancers, but to do so knowing that 15 million may be watching the following evening may account for some of the uncomfortableness shown by them. Kudos to the girls though who do their level best to put the chaps at ease.

I totally agree Ryan, as someone who's never felt particularly comfortable on the dance floor I certainly wouldn't have fared any better, but I suppose it's a case feeling a bit self conscious for a few minutes is a small price to pay to have the chance to dance with one of those lovely girls!

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- [June]

Dancer
This is a lovely song from the Fifth Dimension leavers.  The song really does not date.  The dance itself I thought was lovely and really interpreted the song well.  Pauline looked divine in this and the girls equally did well getting the guys on the floor.  One looked like Kevin Godley from 10cc and I would be interested in clarification on this.  The guys looked really uncomfortable on the floor and the girls kept their smiles and composure all through it so well done to them.  I would have loved to have been one of those guys that night.  I will award this one nine out of ten and the best dancer awarded to Pauline.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- [June]

The Rubberband Man
Uninspiring routine that mixes professional dancers with bokes from the audience. Pauline’s partnership with Floyd works very well as they can both dance. The others however are tasked with pulling the audience dancers round and round the dance floor, which they do with their professional enthusiasm and trademark smiles. Unfortunately, it all looks a bit lackluster and awkward.
Wish I could’ve been the guy who got to dance with Lulu.

DOTD – Pauline
5/10

Is this the worst camera angle ever for filming Legs & Co?

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- [June]

The Rubberband Man wrote
Is this the worst camera angle ever for filming Legs & Co?
Agreed, it is bad indeed. Why they think the viewers would want to see the four coloured lights rather than the dancing that is taking place is mind boggling. The same thing happened in `More Than A Woman` when the director quite obviously instructed the cameramen to get good shots of the ornate ceiling, thus chopping the dancers off at their knees.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- [June]

brandonb
6/10 DOTD: Pauline

I wonder if it's fair to really call this a dance routine? It's more like pick out some guys from the audience and try and get them moving by pulling them along or any other means necessary... Sue's partner seems more interested in talking than dancing. Most of the others seem somewhat like stiff wooden dolls being pulled around ... The highlight of the piece and the actual dance routine core if there is one is with Pauline and Floid for obvious reasons. Maybe it should just have been a duet. It's hard for me to imagine why the producers would feel that people would want to see this as a dance routine on TOTP's - if they wanted to highlight the glamour of being in the TOTP's studio and the fact you might meet the girls why not simply have them around in the audience when not dancing a routine and occasionally show them on camera dancing with the audience? Anyway, it is what it is - possibly another experiment that didn't work out all that well - but experiments are good even if failures as they can lead to new things and without them things stagnate. That's probably about the best I can say of this (apart from of course Pauline+Floid who were excellent as always). So DOTD goes to Pauline. It is her and Floid who raise the score to 6 whereas otherwise it would probably have been a 3 or 4. As for the song - I find the repetitive chorus annoying - but enjoy the other parts of it.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- [June]

Everything'sRosie
Yikes, the usual awkwardness associated with involving members of the audience. Lulu gets the cool dude as her stand-in beau, and he looks like he fancies his chances (almost as much as he fancies himself). At least he made some effort. Rosie appears to be attempting to dance with an item of furniture. And Patti looks like she's having to teach hers how to walk first. Gill gets the bewildered mother's boy...and Sue the medievel knight. Despite having an easier shift than the others Pauline is still my DOTD. All a bit pedestrian, but they got the job done with a smile on the face...just.

Only a 5.5/10 for this one I'm afraid.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- [June]

Floid is back!! If I had been in the audience and the audience were asked to dance with Legs, I would have been the first to run over to Gill! Floid and Pauline's duet is best, so..
Rating: 6/10
DOTD: Pauline

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- [June]

Dancer
I watched this on repeat last night.  Sue's dancer is definitely Kevin Godley.  Wondering if the others were from the performers and not the audience.  Unsure of who performed on this edition of TOTP.  The tall blonde guy looks familiar.  Rosie was doing a grand job trying to motivate her partner.  She looked so lovely.

Lovely song too.  Both from the Fifth Dimension and Ruth Davies had a lovely vocal range here.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- [June]

Dancer wrote
I watched this on repeat last night.  Sue's dancer is definitely Kevin Godley.
Please tell me, your not being serious.

Never in a million years! Both may be sporting a full beard, but that's about it regarding similarities.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- [June]

Gorgeous Daze
No comment policy.

Re: YOU`RE GONNA GET NEXT TO ME -- [June]

PattiforPM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIw-lH9PGV4