YOU'RE SO VAIN -- 01/02/1973

You're So Vain
Performed by Carly Simon and reaching number 3 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 04/01/1973 (rep. 01/02/1973) Duration of dance - 3.17 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2d29jl_pans-people-you-re-so-vain-totp-tx-04-01-1973-wiped-01-02-1973

"Every now and again, they do such a very good routine that we get so many requests to have it back that we have to…" Noel Edmonds classic intro to the repeat of this routine kinda says it all. But before I go on raving, let's start with the usual lowdown:

Carly Simon first appeared on the musical map in 1971, when her song "That's the Way I've Always Heard it Should Be" made the US Top 10. But neither this nor any of her immediate follow-up singles did anything in Britain until the end of 1972 when she released a record called "You're So Vain", and the rest, as they say, is history.

Much has been speculated about the subject of the song (our Canadian friend will be pleased that there's even a reference to Nova Scotia!). Is it about James Taylor with whom she had been married? Or about Mick Jagger (who provided backing vocals for the song)? Well up until now we still do not know and I guess it probably doesn't matter anyway.

Originally Pan's People performed "You're So Vain" on 04/01/1973, and this show has now become legendary for TOTP aficionados, because former BBC cameraman John Henshall kept a copy of the video for "The Jean Genie" from that show which was uncovered recently with much fanfare. Unfortunately he didn't do the same with the Pan's People routine from that week (which undoubtedly would have been an even bigger treasure!) and so all we have is the rough black and white copy of the repeat performance.

"You're So Vain" is definitely one of the best known Pan's People routines, and deservedly so. While preparing this post, I found that the clip easily provides dozens of potential screenshots and it is nigh impossible to choose just one of them. It may in fact be their career highlight as far as acting is concerned, with each of them playing a specific part relating to the lyrics of the song. The new girl Cherry had been introduced just one week before but she already started to steal the show even though she was the only one who wasn't assigned a proper solo. I could go on here forever about this routine, but instead I'll now hand over to you guys to add your comments for this one.

10 / 10

Dancer of the Day: Cherry (not an easy choice)

Re: YOU'RE SO VAIN -- 1973

BeautifulBabs
Love it just doing their clouds in my coffee impressions on the train

Re: YOU'RE SO VAIN -- 1973

Old Bill
hehe I'm with you BB! I like the aeroplanes and the solar eclipse impressions best! And also the celebratory hands in the air when his horse wins!

This is rather enjoyable, although apart from the solo spots there's not an awful lot of dancing, more like a game of musical chairs based around one chaise longue. But that doesn't detract one bit. It's lots of fun, with lots of smiles.

8/10. Louise is the DotD but Babs comes close for her unashamed singing!

But one niggle. The bloody song!! Grrrr. Listen Carly, someone thinking a song is about them which is about them isn't vanity. Thinking a song is about you when it's not about you is vanity. But assuming that someone will think your song is about them, as you intend it to be, that's vanity!!
That's always annoyed me, but it's still a pretty irresistible song.

Tidy Beard gets a mention for looking for youthful, and bow-tie-y.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: YOU'RE SO VAIN -- 1973

Great use of the prop, not quite up there with "I Think of You" in that regard but still fine work on the C-L.  The song isn't my cup of tea though, nor the hair styles, and for definite neither are those strings of pearls which spoil the look big time.  Such adornments being forever associated with the elderly matrons encountered in ones very early years and from whom one ran a mile as fast as ones little legs could carry one!  Super expressions from all concerned mind but even so I'd only give this a miserly 6.

Re: YOU'RE SO VAIN -- 1973

It's a great pity that we only have a b/w copy of this routine, in colour this must have looked amazing, & one of the greatest Pans's People routines.
There's some really great close-up's inter-mingled with various solo sub-routines, & I feel that thos routine's all about Cherry, she really steals the show here.

9/10

DotD:-

Cherry

Re: YOU'RE SO VAIN -- 1973

Classic Acting 101 performance which quite honestly I could watch all day and never get bored.  I love the song too and BTW we don't have any more eclipses in Nova Scotia than anywhere else but it is a nice spot there on our East Coast where I started off life here in Canada actually.  Anyway back to business; once I recover from Louise's striking opening solo it is indeed the lovely young Cherry who melts my heart with her priceless expressions.  The garb doesn't bother me a bit and the hairstyles and accessories seem to me to highlight the facial expressions even more.  The other star of this routine is that Chaise Longue, which was an inspired choice for housing these vanity-ridden young debutantes.  I'm sure you can tell that I really like this performance and in a way this is where Pans People really start for me even though I know there were some good dances before this (sorry Andy and Flick!)   Well it's 10/10  and DotD Cherry and that's all there is to it.

Re: YOU'RE SO VAIN -- 1973

VintageVideos
Thanks for your comments so far. Yes the lyrics to this song are quite extraordinary, or can you name another song which uses the word "gavotte"? And how about the already mentioned "Clouds in my Coffee"? Some web researchers claim that Nova Scotia was supposed to be a very good place to watch the solar eclipse in July 1972, and Saratoga Springs, NY, is famous for its horse races!
Anyway, PattiForPM, I'm delighted to see that you submitted your first '10' in this section, which just proves what an exceptional routine this is.

Re: YOU'RE SO VAIN -- 1973

BeautifulBabs
my essay is still under construction VV this one deserves it

Re: YOU'RE SO VAIN -- 1973

Yes this one is very good, and the song is simply brilliant in my book, one of my favourite tunes. If we had this in colour, i guess it would be getting top marks from lots of folks, but as its only in monochrome, im going to knock it back to `9 out of 10`.

Dotd - I think `Ruth` does well here and puts a lot into the routine.

Re: YOU'RE SO VAIN -- 1973

PattiforPM
Have to agree seeing this in colour would be just heavenly.  What colour are those dresses I wonder?

Re: YOU'RE SO VAIN -- 1973

Here's hoping this turns up one day in colour.

This routine oozes with fun, and you can tell the ladies enjoyed bringing the "You're So Vain" routine to life - why else would they all take turns at singing along while acting out the lyrics?

In terms of the best dancer here, Dee Dee stands out, and for her second routine, Cherry is absolutely stunning, but for me, the irresistible choice DotD is Babs, who really is in her element here.

My score: 9

Re: YOU'RE SO VAIN -- 1973

I reckon the dresses are in the regular dancer colours:

Babs - blue
Dee Dee - red
Ruth - yellow
Louise - light shade of green

Not sure about Cherry - the dark shade suggests it could be purple (Andi's old colour), but would Flick have deliberately chosen this so soon?

Never mind the dresses, what about the seat on the chaise lounge? I'm going for blue.

Re: YOU'RE SO VAIN -- 1973

PattiforPM
I'm going for stunning pink for Cherry's dress Colm and powder blue for the Chaise.  I have a release date for BB's essay and it's Saturday July 20th and this can be pre-ordered and you will be informed if there is a change in price (little Amazon joke there for those of us addicted to online music ordering, sorry)

Re: YOU'RE SO VAIN -- 1973

Andeebee
quick one from Mr Misery

Ruth

Score - 5/10 - too much literal signing in this

Re: YOU'RE SO VAIN -- 1973

Gorgeous Daze
John Henshall attended last month's Kal event and was sort of introduced to a few of us here. He seemed a gent. Nevertheless, I would've berated him on Vin's behalf had I known he saved the film of The Jean Genie but not the original of this.

Black and white is an ageing medium which, depending on taste, either accentuates or compounds the mature grooming. I'm judging it as the colour routine it was shot as. What we have is five refined young ladies; likely products of a Swiss finishing school. The song is American and there are clouds in their coffee, but there's something very English about this. Including the gossip. It's like high tea in dainty bone china cups distilled into a song routine.  I wonder if the clamour for a repeat performance was, in part, a reaction from conservative viewers alarmed by glam rock and the 'outrageous' David Bowie in particular.  Many would have seen this routine as an antidote and a comforting reminder of a time when standards were different. Whatever, there is something special about it. It is, for instance, the one TOTPs routine a lady friend of mine recalls acting out in her bedroom with her friend. I suppose though a cynic might respond that's because it was the only routine she saw performed twice!

The chaise longue -  such a symbol of elegance among a certain class and the perfect prop here. Probably never again was one prop put to such good use until Lulu took her bread stick to Plastic Bertrand. And the melodrama that unfolds around it must be one of the richest three minutes plus provided by any of our troupes. It calls to be watched again and again to encore the solos and take in all the details. My very favourite part is Cherry's absolutely adorable little solo before she reclines on the chaise longue and the others' scandalized faces pop up behind her. She is amazingly assured for such an early performance in her PP career and Cherry it is who gets my DOTD.

If you're going to go down the literal route it's vital to do it well. And this is just perfect.

My younger self would be up in arms. But sod him. 10/10.

Re: YOU'RE SO VAIN -- 1973

PattiforPM
You write good stuff GD

Re: YOU'RE SO VAIN -- 1973

Agreed. GD is the star find of 2013.

Re: YOU'RE SO VAIN -- 1973

Gorgeous Daze
Very kind of you guys!

We have some excellent contributors here so I'm flattered my comments meet with your approval.

Re: YOU'RE SO VAIN -- 1973

BeautifulBabs
random list of likes :
the whispers at the beginning and louise strutting out for her solo as soon as carly starts singing
song fabulous tune and interesting and very audible lyrics -a rare and stunning combination- carly has had a lot of fun  speculating which man/men this was about and she has a few to chose from
http://www.whosdatedwho.com/tpx_440/carly-simon/
this is a desert island disc song for me
Carly nipping out on the album cover no secrets
the chez longe/couch/settee/sofa whatever its called a great prop
acting and literal interpretation the best there is in a pans routine for me ( though i think of you could be a good rival) and it fits so well with the unusual lyrics
clouds in my coffee, girls dreamt that theyd by your partner- cherry just gorgeous on acting these out
lear jet flying movement and eclipse watching mime
reference to total eclipse of the sun and there were 2 in the early 1970s visible in nova scotia
the girls with hair up
cherry on the couch with the others peering behind

dislikes
a racehorse called naturally has never won at saratoga- lyrics inaccurate

so an easy 10 for me
dotd babs i just love her with her hair up but cherry is also out of this world on one of her first routines

Re: YOU'RE SO VAIN -- 1973

BeautifulBabs wrote
dislikes
a racehorse called naturally has never won at saratoga- lyrics inaccurate
LOL, Classic BB this