YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 25/12/1974

YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 25/12/1974

You're The First, The Last, My Everything (Xmas Version)
Performed by Barry White and reaching number 1 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 25/12/1974 Duration of dance - 3.21 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf-Ih6dgS_I

Barry White's musical career began around 1960 as part of a group called "The Upfront", but it wasn't until 1972 that he achieved big success with his group "Love Unlimited". Their record "Walking In The Rain With The One I Love" featured Barry's voice and became a worldwide hit (#14 UK). Barry's solo career took off a year later with the US smash "I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More, Baby", and for a few years during the 1970's he became a regular on the US & UK charts with records that were largely based on the same formula.

"You're The First, The Last, My Everything" is no doubt Barry's best known record and his only UK #1 hit. There is at least one other version of Pan's People dancing to this song but, alas, the BBC has wiped it. Barry's music sounded fresh in the 70's but much of his material sounds dated now. However, this song may be an exception and I think it still sounds good today.

In this Xmas version, Pan's People are dressed elegantly and they look tame compared to the pictures that are left from the 'other' version. Unfortunately, I have to say. No matter how often I watch this routine, I can't help thinking that the dresses and the music just don't match. Besides, I find some of the moves, especially the high kicks, rather clumsy. I can only assume that this routine was deliberately watered-down after the first version had caused a stir, and the BBC wanted to have a family-friendly Xmas show without Mary Whitehouse complaining. At least there are a few amusing moments in this dance during some of the close-ups.

All in all I can't hide my disappointment about this being a missed opportunity. It isn't one I play often and thus my rating is only

7.5 / 10

DotD: Babs

Re: YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 1974

PattiforPM
I like this song very much and vividly remember it being "revived" when I guiltily watched Ally McBeal years ago.  This performance is indeed a little repressed, as are those "auntie" dresses, but this does give it a degree of appeal in my book.  It is almost excruciating seeing those lovely bods so covered up and even the facial expressions are obviously held in check by command and will power.  Ruth is the exception here and I really like the way she manages to get across some passion in her lovely features.  Of course Sue's pointing at SF or Ryan or ADB or SFE or PaulF or Doc (or all of us) is totally classic and I also like Babs' aloofness and Dee Dee's warmth in reserve and Cherry's detached minor smirk but it's Ruth who carries the day as DotD here for me.  As for a mark I'm giving an 8/10  as I truly do quite enjoy this although I'm sure the first Dance to this song would be more of a spectacle and this one is certainly open to other interpretations.

Re: YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 1974

For a Chrismassy edition, this routine seems rather dark, here we have the dancers dressed like school ma'ams meet female army officers in evening attire, & they're making goose steps across the stage, they just each needed a bamboo can in one hand, & a rifle in the other hand.
These are the kind of women, you don't really want to mess around with, because they'll have your guts for garters.

8/10

DotD:-

DeeDee

Re: YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 1974

Simply horrible costumes, and the hair done up under those silly hats makes the girls look ten years older. This is one of my least favourite Pans performances. How odd that they had to perform a new routine to this just 20 days after performing the first one on Totps. I always thought it was a bit of a let down when the dancers performed to a song that they had done earlier in the year, this happened on a few occasions, felt kinda short changed by it.

DOTD, `Babs` for the wink.

Sorry, just `4 out of 10` for my rating.

Re: YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 1974

PaulF
I rather enjoyed this, the girls looking elegant with a haughty attitude works rather well. 8.5/10

DOTD Sue (she is definitely pointing at me)
Paul

Re: YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 1974

Andeebee
From the still images that are available of the previous routine that one looks the best version of this fine soul track by Mr White, sadly this looks horrible.....

Pans looking like old ladies in this, unintentional I would assume, but I find this to be a damp squib, there is so much more on offer throughout the year that could of been resurrected for the Xmas show, but instead this was chosen, as Ryan said, a mere 20 days after the last routine.

Overall the tune is a cracker, and still well loved these days, even I used to spin the hell out of this albeit in it's 7" edit...

Score: 7.5

DOTD: has to go to the second best Pans girl - Ruth

Re: YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 1974

While not as appealing as the earlier version this dance still works well.  This time Flick has gone for the 1920's country house setting, and these ladies all look set to take tea on the terrace.  I just wish they hadn't all chosen those awful hats!  So a 7.5 score with my Dotd, the Honourable Daisy Dalrymple.... sorry, I mean the delightful Miss Susan Menhenick.

Re: YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 1974

Colm
I can't fault the dancing, but for me, the camerawork is a tad shoddy; it seems to cut out-of-beat or too suddenly, especially during the layered close-up shots, not giving enough time to truly convey the actions on display.

I'll probably also stir things up a bit more by saying, for me, Cherry feels a tad out-of-place here; she doesn't seem to get a stand-out moment during the song, like Babs's wink or Sue's second-best "You" pointy-bit; furthermore, she suits the costume least - whereas somehow, Sue carries it off stunningly.

As for my DotD, I'm going for Ruth, as she seems most "into" the routine, and displays some lovely smiles in her close-up shots.

Score: 7

Re: YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 1974

VintageVideos
Thanks for all the comments so far. This doesn't seem to be anyone's favourite, but it isn't too bad either. All bar one rating so far range within a rather small scope between 7 and 8.5. The fact that the ladies danced to a well loved song might have prevented a few of us from giving lower scores.

Re: YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 1974

Having just watched the formentioned dance by Pan's People. It the usually good formation dance routine. By our ladies in there black satin dresses and hats. The moody looks to the cameras and the pointing as well.The fact that this is the second version of this routine. It would interesting to watch the first to compare with this one.

The Dotd is very difficult because they is not a stand out dancer for me. For no good reason I'll go with Dee Dee.

The score as to be 6 out of 10.

Re: YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 1974

Andeebee
I am not sure what Flick is trying to achieve, but it could be a take on 'First' and 'Last'

The first version symbolizing Love/marriage/birth = white

The Second version symbolizing Divorce/death/widowhood = death

On subtle take of the song, The First, The Last, My everything encompasses the whole of love & marriage, life and death - who knows.

Re: YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 1974

JEZ
how we all see these routines in different lights ,i myself love this one ,its been up amongst my favourites for many years ,i love everything about it ,from the high kicks ,to babs little wink ,i really cant praise it enough ,and i have no doubt in my mind to award a 10

Re: YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 1974

But would Flick have necessarily been aware that this routine would have to be re-done for the forthcoming Christmas edition?, as it could've transpired that only the 'first' version of the routine may've got to be made, or the Christmas routines known about well in advance, as they wouldn't have to be dances to tracks in the current Christmas charts but could be anything from the past year.

Re: YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 1974

Gorgeous Daze
All that sparkles is not festive. With the headwear as a pinnacle these outfits put me in mind of - ugh - those black Christmas trees you can get nowadays. I'm not big on Bazza but as we're told playing him late at night in a preferably candle-lit room almost guarantees the seduction of a woman of your choice, I can live with him. What an arrangement though. When did you last hear something this good among the modern day soulless computerized dross?

I agree that some of the high-kicking is dodgy. Almost Ministry Of Silly Walks-like. The can-can bits are ok though. And whatever else, it's as well prepared as you remember those Christmas dinners being. But though it's ordinarily a passable routine it's the wrong recipe for this particular day and it falls flat. Babs is especially well suited to these lady-like routines so a single wink from her succeeds well in conveying a hint of seasonal naughtiness beneath the surface. But it's Dee Dee who leaves the biggest impression on me so she's my DOTD.

Re: YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 1974

VintageVideos
Some honest and varied opinions there, guys. This one seems to solidify in the 7 - 7.5 range, although with just 11 ratings so far it's somewhat below the average. Maybe some of our faithful contributors who haven't had their say yet might want to add their thoughts.

Re: YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 1974

JEZ
This outfit was used again a few years back ,dee dee wore it when herself and ruth appeared on a 70s evening show with donny osmond

Re: YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 1974

JEZ
i wonder if there was a third outfit for this song ,as ryan spotted that the one with the white hats was a new performance from the 5th december ,i wonder what was worn for the 14th november routine

Re: YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 1974

Doc
Oh for the first version of this turning up, having found about 3 seconds of it I can see exactly why Mary Whitehouse would have got upset. I think that detracts from this version which is an OK 8.
Dotd: Sue.

Re: YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 1974

Lookmacinanger
Is this the kind of routine that the ‘Walrus of Love’ would have expected for his track? I don’t think so best break it to him gently. The outfits are just wrong for this routine, but the dance is watchable although too many kicks at times. 6/10, Dotd Babs

Re: YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING (XMAS VERSION) -- 1974

Not the best of routines here, and not particularly festive either. The oufits are a bit of an issue, they look huge to me, and dare i say it a bit "auntie at a wedding". I think Dee Dee carries it off the best though.

I can't fault the record, with some nice orchestration and Barrys gravelly voice, maybe it was a Flick favourite.

Had the routine been a bit lighter in tone, i think it could have been great, and yes there other versions which may have been better, a case of diminishing returns maybe. Other than that it seems a bit too straightforward for a xmas effort with no real highlights other than a few nice closeups.

6/10 DOTD Dee Dee