YOU SHOULD BE DANCING

   You Should Be Dancing is a falsetto-filled Disco hit from 1976 by the Bee Gees from the “Children of the World” Album.  It made #1 on the Billboard Chart and on the even more prestigious Canadian Chart and #5 in the UK.  It features a percussive contribution from Stephen Stills, who happened to be in the same Studio as the Bee Gees’ session.  I won’t presume to educate you all about Brothers Gibb but suffice to say that when they were inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame in 1997 only five artists/bands had outsold them (including Elvis and the Beatles and most mysteriously Garth Brooks!)  The song was featured on Saturday Night Fever and who can forget the John Travolta solo dance it inspired.  Apparently he was supposed to dance to Stayin’ Alive but insisted this song would be better suited to his efforts and perhaps he was right.  You Should Be Dancing has reached further heights of fame by being played at the end of the cartoon “Despicable Me” and also as a “we’re gonna win” song for the Boston Celtics NBA team.  Evidently it is played with a popular Jumbotron pastiche including fans imitating a hirsute tee-shirted American Bandstand dancer known as Gino such that this is known as “Gino time” and can be seen here:

                           http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiWvSQzCo0A

      YOU SHOULD BE DANCING   -   Bee Gees                                        26th August 1976

                                    DANCERS:    Floid, Lulu, Patti, Sue

                              LINK:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu06QHw4hlw

   We have this Ruby Flipper Dance because it was repeated on 26th August having first been shown on the now wiped 12th August edition, which also included the sadly non-repeated Afternoon Delight.  It features Floid up front and Lulu, Patti and Sue behind him on round platforms.  This does not seem to lead to any constraint however as this is a full-on, all-out , high calorie-burning Disco work-out for the dancers.  Floid does extremely well in this one and might even get DotD if iit hadn’t been for some truly prodigious dance going on behind him.  The ladies are in those lovely skimpy shorts and attractive tee-shirts which would be laundered in time for another outing a month hence.  Anyway I don’t want to annoy the growing Lulu Fanclub (of which I am a paid-up member) but I do think Sue and Patti stole the Show from the young beauty in this Dance, with some help from the cameramen perhaps.  I find both Patti and Sue utterly breathtaking in this performance and can only split them by the finest of hairs to give the very sexy Patti  Hammond DotD.  The mark is a hearty 10/10  with a great dance song and for once a quite lengthy performance too.  I hope you all enjoyed this as much as I did but, if not, I’d still like to hear from you

Re: YOU SHOULD BE DANCING

Lookmacinanger
As usual sound advice from the Bee Gees, What are you doing on your back? You should be dancing, well ¾ of Ruby Flipper are. Glorious effort by the ladies in the back row of this line up and their efforts are very eye catching, the disco era is captured perfectly within this routine and Sue appears to giving it all she’s got to just clinch a Dotd award from Patti. 10/10

Re: YOU SHOULD BE DANCING

This is certainly full on and as usual the choreography fits the tune very nicely but it's no secret that as a rule podium dances are not my favourites.  However, this is certainly one of the better ones with Patti and Sue in particular raising the temperature so I'll score it as an 8.5.  And though I may be seeing stars with spots before my eyes the Dotd has to be the diamond girl in gold.

Re: YOU SHOULD BE DANCING

Andeebee
Super disco juggernaut from the brothers Grimm (sorry Gibb), executed wonderfully by a confident Ruby Flipper team, my eyes are naturally drawn to the girls in the back wearing short shorts and skimpy tops.

This should keep you dancing all night, if you don't like this track you are soulless

Scores on ADB's doors: 10/10

DOTD: the rather delicious and superwoman Sue

Re: YOU SHOULD BE DANCING

Flick's obviously tried to push Floid here as the star attraction, with him at the front of the stage, with Lulu, Sue, & Patti, as the support acts, all of the dancers are seemingly confined to their podia, but the real gripe for me, is the audience distracting too much from the action, they're just getting in the way for most of the time, & the pointless cross-fading doesn't help matters.
Lulu looks extra cute in this dance routine though.

6/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: YOU SHOULD BE DANCING

Truly great disco sound, truly sexy girls, truly cute little outfits, truly high octane dancing, truly annoying that Floid didn't get the night off like his mate Phil.

Really this should just have been left to our three girl dancers and if it had of been i would have happily awarded a max. But im not far away, so how about `9.5 out of 10`.

I feel like writing the names Sue, Patti and Lulu down on separate pieces of paper, rolling them up, closing my eyes and picking one. Just how do i pick one of these 3 for DOTD.

I think im going to go for the `young un`, those looks to camera are just cuteness personified. `Lulu` for me.

Re: YOU SHOULD BE DANCING

Colm
There's certainly no doubting the dancing prowess of all the dancers here; yet segregating Floid from the three girls only seeks to draw more attention to them. No wonder they get the lion's share of camera time.

Also, I'm not overly keen on Floid's finger wagging near the end - it's a move more suited I think to female dancers.

DotD: Patti just edges it over Sue for me as she's more smiley

Score: 8.5

Re: YOU SHOULD BE DANCING

Just a thought but perhaps worth adding in the intro that this had been, when first broadcast, the follow up dance to "Afternoon Delight".  The much missed Sue/Phil duet from the 12 August show.

Re: YOU SHOULD BE DANCING

PattiForPM
No sooner said than done SF (and what a shame Afternoon Delight didn't get repeated too).  Interesting point about the audience PBP.  I actually find their involvement quite supportive here and it would be really difficult to imagine a stationary or uninvolved crowd with this song.  As I said in my intro I quite like Floid here, in contrast to some of you it seems, and I particularly like his crazy drum roll piece near the end.  I hope there are others waiting to give us their views on this performance which is, for me, one of the strongest RF outings

Re: YOU SHOULD BE DANCING

PaulF
Good song and routine three of my favourite girls well worth a 9/10.
DOTD is difficult but I will plump for Lulu as she did a fine job looking cute and keeping up with the other two masters of dance.
Oh yes and Floid did ok too.
Paul

Re: YOU SHOULD BE DANCING

Old Bill
This post was updated on .
What a tune to dance to! Such a shame that Legs never got their teeth in to this one.

Floid's stuck out on the front but he's still not the star of the show. The audience seem to be putting in more moves than he does! They aren't a distraction for me, it's quite nice that some thought seemed to have gone in to how to use them.

The skimpy costumes are nice - sexy without being too revealing. And the changes between the 3 hotpanted hotties dancing in unison and then each doing they're own thing on their podiums. Sorry - podia! :-)

The only distraction for me, as is often the case, is the use of so many bloody overlays.

8/10
and she of the yellow-dots Patti for DoTD.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: YOU SHOULD BE DANCING

JEZ
a good disco tune ,but i think flick could have made the dance a bit better by using a stage or studio floor instead of using small podiums for the dancers,they needed to move a little more backwards and forwards to the speed of this song instead of being confined to dancing on the spot ,i wonder why flick decided to use these same outfits twice in the space of a few weeks ,that was pretty unusual for the lady to use the same for 2 different main dances in that short space of time ,anyway a 7 for me

Re: YOU SHOULD BE DANCING

Suefan
See my earlier point Jez as I'm not sure this can hardly be considered the main dance on either occasion.

Re: YOU SHOULD BE DANCING

Thanks again for your comments lads.  Just to be Devil's advocate, I'm not sure about this Dance not being the main featured one as if the other one on the Show was a duet then this foursome might be considered more prominent.  The costumes were seeing their first outing here too and the platforms certainly don't necessarily mean second string as fans of Status Quo would attest.  It would be fantastic to see that Sue and Phil dance mind you.  Can I solicit further advice from other members now please

Re: YOU SHOULD BE DANCING

PattiForPM
What You Doin on Your Back

You Should Be Voting

Re: YOU SHOULD BE DANCING

It might, but I suspect the amount of rehearsal time devoted to this one would have been less than to the one seemingly lost in the wipe machine.

Re: YOU SHOULD BE DANCING

VintageVideos
When routines were 3 1/2 minutes long...

Good performance to a good disco tune by the brothers Gibb but nothing that gets me overexcited. Too many overlays, too restricted space, too much audience participation and too much Floid all detract from my viewing pleasure here. Seems I'm missing the cherry on the cake as well!

8 / 10

DotD: The lovely Miss Hammond
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: YOU SHOULD BE DANCING

bucksby
yeah completely forgot about this routine it is a good one though, Floid does a good job but I am not sure why he is so far away from the ladies? Sue just edges DOTD for me and she also has the cutest outfit. Routine an 8 and yes it is a shame we will have no afternoon delight

Re: YOU SHOULD BE DANCING

VintageVideos
bucksby wrote
Floid does a good job but I am not sure why he is so far away from the ladies?
I could come up with more than one idea probably...
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: YOU SHOULD BE DANCING

Am i the only one who likes the idea of our three girls dancing on podiums. A few of our contributors have expressed doubts about the confined space. When ever i see our dancers dancing on raised platforms etc, i always get a sense that it just elevates them to a higher status, as the minions remain down below clapping away content to gaze upwards at our goddesses.