YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 25/12/1974

YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 25/12/1974

You Won't Find Another Fool Like Me
Performed by The New Seekers Feat. Lyn Paul and reaching number 1 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 25/12/1974 Duration of dance - 3.08 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMrIXahV9u4

Are you a chart buff? If so, how many records can you name that got to No. 1 after they had already fallen down the charts? Well, this is one of them, and it took 9 weeks to get to the coveted top spot. After a few real big hits in 1971 and 1972, 1973 had been a rather low-key year for the New Seekers, until this song came along at the end of November, finally hitting No. 1 in January 1974.

Here we have quite a literal interpretation by Pan's People dressed as 'fools' with red noses and very large hair bows. Clearly a novelty routine, incorporating comical elements like funny moves and lots of pouting, this is destined to lift your mood.

But there's one moment that I absolutely love, and that is when Cherry loses her red nose during a skilful spin around 1.00 min into the routine and puts on a big charming smile as soon as she noticed what happened (you can see the nose lying on the ground).

All the girls are taking their chances to exhibit their acting talents in this dance, and I have to say, they're doing very well. On the other hand, it may not be to everybody's taste to see them dressed like this and acting funny. And even though I like this one a lot, there is one minor quibble I have with this routine, and that is the song which is too much in a schlager vein for me. It's just not the kind of music I usually listen to and so I can give no more than 9/10.

As Dancer of the Day, well there can only be one for me in this dance and that is the lovely Cherry.

Re: YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 1974

Well there's no `fooling` me on this one, its another routine that i love. There are so many little scenes in it i like. Dee Dee struggling on the ladder, Ruth looking all sad, and the little solo from Sue. It looks for all the world she is going to finish that doing the splits, but sadly she pulls out at the last second and rolls over. Yes the Cherry losing her nose is unfortunate, but her smile as she carryies on regardless is priceless. Actually somebody else loses a nose later on, check out the bottom of the screen and look very carefully at 2.58. I cant make out who it is, but im sure its Miss Gillespie again.

DOTD is tricky and Cherry i feel will take a lot of votes on this, but im going for the dancer who is performing in her first Christmas TOTPs. She looks so young, and plays the part so well, for me its `Sue`

I really like this routine, so colouful, so much going on, its worth a 9.5 out of 10 from me.

Re: YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 1974

VintageVideos
Yes that's definitely Cherry again losing her nose the second time. Seems like her nose wouldn't stick!

Re: YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 1974

A fine number with just the right amount of comedy and pathos and this particular Red Nose Day gets a 9 from me.  Everyone acts their part well and deserves a bonus for the trapeze work but Sue's puzzled innocence is right on the money and so she is my DotD.

Re: YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 1974

Paperboyplod
I wonder if the Comic Relief 'red nose' idea came from this routine, which sees about three minutes of total frivolity from Pan's People, also sporting rabbit ears, matching their respective dress colours which centres around playing on trapezes, & they look higher up than they probably are, well done to DeeDee for managing to stay on her's, she nearly fell off it. I also noticed that Cherry & Ruth weren't in their usual colour, what was wrong with Ruth wearing yellow?, It would've given more variety to the colour scheme. Sue was great with her brief solo, tumbling over almost like how it's done in films when depicting a faint.

9/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 1974

Who's That Hurll
A humorous and colourful routine from our five Christmas crackers, introduced by Tone and those 'nutty' Mud boys.
Cherry's pert nose wouldn't allow any invasion from a falsie, however she regains her composure well;as does Dee Dee who manages to avoid the death -defying drop below!.
My Dancer of the day is Babs for her 'you know you do' and blown kiss at 1.44.

Re: YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 1974

BeautifulBabs
There are a few things not perfect about his:
The Babs trip on cherry's nose, dee dees unladylike poses as she falls back on the swing, Ruth being scared of the heights, cute rather than sexy and I'm not a big fan of the song but.....
these do not stop me giving another 10 here- love costumes, girls facial expressions, split screen of floor dancing and trapeze, its Pans at their best and a special one.
dotd Babs v narrowly ahead of Sue- love her dishevelled hair- this is only the second dotd babs has got from me though.

good choice VV

Re: YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 1974

Again, the song's not really my cup of tea, but the dance interpretation is sheer fun - but also finely choreographed.

The best moment for me is at around 2:35 where the girls are "sniffing" each other in a circle - what may be regarded these days as "random" and the priceless expressions on the faces we can see crack me up!

However, my Dancer of the Day is Sue - faultless movements, cute facial expressions and a terrific part-solo piece.

My score: 9/10

Re: YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 1974

Like Col I wouldn't normally give this song the time of day but I must say Pans People do a fantastic job of making this highly watchable.  I find this absolutely one of the funniest performances of any of the troupes and the facial expressions are just masterful (special mention goes to Ruth and Cherry here although all the ladies do well).  How great it is too to see how Cherry is a little amused by her own noselessness.  Sue's solo and demeanour is just perfect too and she looks mighty fine in that green suit.  It's a really tight race for DotD here but I must just give it to Cherry for her perfect form and that mock-clumsy section when dancing between Sue and Dee Dee.  This is surely the highest I have ever marked a song I really don't like much but I have to give this one 9/10 and could honestly watch it for hours looking for little nuances of each of the ladies performing.

Re: YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 1974

VintageVideos
Thanks P4PM, yes I have to agree that each time I watch this performance again I discover something that I never noticed before.

Re: YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 1974

Lookmacinanger
This post was updated on .
Dotd is Cherry for coping admirably with her misbehaving nose. 8/10.

Re: YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 1974

JEZ
i still like this record ,i remember buying it in 1973 ,wonderful dance routine for the pantomine season ,nice coloured outfits ,love the facial expressions of sue ,cherry and ruth during various parts of the dance ,i can only there for give it a well deserved 9 out of 10

Re: YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 1974

Ruth

Re: YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 1974

BeautifulBabs
that's it adb ?
is ruth's award for overcoming vertigo on trapeze ?
or for her mum doing Sue's hair ?

Re: YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 1974

Andeebee
Her mum doing Sue's hair that week, and yes Ruth looked divine on the swing...I do like things nice short and sweet BB

Re: YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 1974

Here's a middle-of-the-road song but that's not necessarily a problem for me nowadays and it is a good one. However, I think the routine would make most sense Christmas Day and I'm going to play Scrooge here. I just find it a trifle irritating, one of the literal ones that just doesn't cut the mustard. Not keen on the outfits (there, you see ladies, it's not just anything short) nor the moves really. And being suspended on swings doesn't suit an up-tempo song, although this is mitigated by being juxtaposed with dancing. And I'm probably not very giving on this Red Nose Day because I don't like anything that interferes with the girls' beauty .

I guess my score might bump up after the post plum pudding port with great uncle Alfred, but it's only a 5/10 for me today. DOTD Ruth for pulling the best miserable faces .

Re: YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 1974

Doc
I think that I'll pick Sue for dotd.

Re: YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 1974

Old Bill
You find another dance troupe like Pan's People!

This is smashing, it could have all gone all wrong and been sad and full of self-pity and melancholy but nope, Flick went for the fun option - full of acting and clowing and funny faces , and some spot on dancing.

Cherry coped well with her nasal disaster - I assume she picked up it when she was out of shot? But it did seem to distract a bit and she ended up a little out of position and right in the front of Babs. Otherwise she would've got my DotD. Ruth pulls some cracking faces too. But the DotD for me is Sue. A right-royal Green Goddess today! Surely the almost-splits were meant show her being a fool...? Anyways, nice to see her practising some of her Mah-Na Mah-Na bumble bee faces!

Lotsa fun! 7.5/10
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 1974

Old Bill
PS. Vin - i also wasn't too keen on the schlager sound, until I discovered the wonderful and much missed Miss Monica Morell!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4gmPgWiaeg

The voice of a schlager angel! :-)
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER FOOL LIKE ME -- 1974

VintageVideos
ah yes Old Bill, Monica Morell in the 'ZDF Hitparade', maybe my most hated TV show in the 70s. 45 minutes full of Schlagermusik, that was my idea of absolute torture. Although I'm a bit softer towards that music nowadays, it's still not the kind of music I would listen to, maybe for a dance on a party, but in my house - never!

Thanks for your efforts to update your ratings on the PP comments thread - much appreciated!