Quantcast

YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE

  Young Hearts Run Free is a song from an Album of the same name by Candi Staton and produced by David Crawford.  It seems to be about the regrets of a housewife caught in life's domestic trap and reached #1 in the US and #2 in the UK.  Candi was born Canzetta Maria Staton in Alabama and was schooled in Gospel music before moving on to Soul and then Disco for this song.  I must say her voice is very striking and after listening to this and her cover of the Bee Gees' "Nights on Broadway" I went on to buy several of her CDs, discovering the great song "I'm Just a Prisoner of Your Good Lovin'" and only after that did I hear her famous more recent collaboration with the Source "You Got the Love"  Anyway they're all great and I'm now a firm fan.  Candi was inducted into the Christian Music Hall of Fame (sounds very like Heaven to me) and I believe she is to be interviewed by Aled Jones soon for Songs of Praise if her website is be believed (and one has to have faith after all).  On a more secular note this song received perhaps its greatest accolade of all when it was chosen for Grand Theft Auto 4, the "Ballad of Gay Tony"

         YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE  -  Candi Staton                               June 17th 1976

                                      DANCERS:     Cherry, Floid, Gavin, Phil, Patti, Sue

   LINK:  http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26akiq_ruby-flipper-young-hearts-run-free-totp-tx-17-06-1976_creation

   I do enjoy this Song and Dance.  Its appeal for me is down to its great variety; from Gavin and the ever-lovely Cherry dancing quite beautifully together to Floid's downtrodden ironing housewife and Phil's Page 3 obsessed blue collar worker (or not) and those squabbling and undoubtedly diamniotic dichorionic  twins Sue and Patti.  It's true that the Dancing is largely limited to our couple on cloud nine but the story is told effectively and with humour in my opinion and the players all do a fine job, particularly Phil and Floid I think.  I am awarding an 8.5/10 and hereby nominate the versatile Floid for DotD.  I wonder if this one will unite or divide us?

Re: YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE

Andeebee
This routine is not a real highlight for me at all.  It's clever enough as a satire (on TOTP???), but overall it's entertaining.

I will award this 5/10 and the honour to DOTD goes to the fluid and rather eye-catching Cherry.

Re: YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE

   This is one of those Marmite routines, you either love it or hate it. But for me, i really love this routine. Its full of variety and there's so much going on. The serious sequences with Cherry & Gavin complement perfectly the fun and games the family of four are having. This routine is by far Gavin's best moment in his short tenure, though at times he does still look a little cumbersome but he has the ideal partner in Cherry.

    The other four play their roles to perfection. Phillip is very convincing as the hen-pecked Northern husband. The two nippers are great, and put great gusto into playing two year olds ! Sue & Patti are hard to split here, and im not going to try to chose which is better, instead i will select Floid to be the star of this show. He does seem to be Flicks go to man for these comedic roles during his Ruby stint, and plays his part well. The bit with the iron burning his hand still raises a smile to my face even now, to be honest i could watch this routine over and over again, i like it so much.

     As i say, im not sure others will like it so much, but im going big, `9.5 out of 10`. Flick put lots of thought into this, and the cast didn't disappoint. Its a humorous routine that entertains.

     My DOTD is `Floid`, the boy done well.

Re: YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE

bucksby
well it is certainly an interesting routine. One thing I will say about Ruby Flipper routines is that they have variety. It's a fun routine I am not 100% sure what Flick set out to achieve but I will say a mark of 7. Sue & Patti remind me of two girls from Little House on the Prairie, Sue in particular reminds me of that mean girl Nellie. Dancer of the day, well Floid seems to be revelling in his role so I award it to him.

Re: YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE

Paperboyplod
A real family affair is this routine, having Floid dressed as the housewife must have caused quite a stir, Phil looking at page three, was rather stereotypical, Sue & Patti, looked cute as the two children of the family, the actual 'young hearts', Cherry & Gavin were okay 'running free' of the mad house, the only thing that irks me here is the absence of Lulu, couldn't she have played a mechanic, servicing the family car?

8/10

DotD:-

Floid

Re: YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE

"They said we'd never dare do it on Top of the Pops but here it is... The proof of the pudding: Ruby Flipper!" Classic intro by DLT to this, er, routine? A well-considered choice by our host for this week as this may be Ruby Flipper's counterpart to Pan's People's "You're So Vain": Not so much a dance but more like a short stage play, Ruby Flipper depict the drama of the everyday housewife (brilliantly impersonated by Floid). Her husband (Phil) is obviously a little too impressed by the page 3 girl while the kids (Patti & Sue, hilarious!) are either busy teasing each other or their parents.
In between we see Cherry & Gavin (probably Gavin's best performance) as the young couple (the "young hearts") who have just fallen in love and don't waste much thought about their lives 10 years later.
There are many funny moments here, and I must say I really admire the comedic talent of our troupe. Some scenes still make me laugh when I see them.
I have to mention a few weak points as well, Lulu is missing, there isn't so much dancing, and Gavin still looks a bit wooden. The song is not a big favourite of mine, just ok. But Flick also gets bonus points for being very brave and for extending the Flipster territory.

So what's the bottom line:
You're So Vain vs. Young Hearts Run Free:  for me it's a draw, perfect fun and pleasure with both performances

10 / 10

DotD: it just has to be Floid here

Re: YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE

Interesting point about Lulu being missing. I cant see what part she could have played here. I don't think three brats would have worked in this, maybe cause Sue & Patti played their parts so well. It does make me wonder if all seven dancers had been available this week if Flick had gone down a different route and thought of a alternative scenario ?

Re: YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE

Andeebee
Could possibly see young Lulu in an oversized pram, or maybe not....

Re: YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE

Of course we get to see all six Legs ladies dressed as babies in 1979, `Born To Be Alive`. Just another maximum scoring routine to look forward to, with Sue and Lulu battling it out for The Bonniest Baby Award. Whoops, mustn't deviate to much from Ruby Flipper.

Re: YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE

This routine has grown on me down the years - perhaps as I have come to appreciate the balance between the dancing and the priceless sketch comedy. Flick cast her troupe right in the roles here - Cherry and Gavin as the youthful romantics, Floid as the downtrodden matriach, Phil as the unappreciative Dad - and Sue and Patti stealing the show as those irascible yet irresistible babies!

While I reckon this is Gavin's best dance of the few he appeared in - he even seems quite comfortable with Cherry here - I'm following the crowd and giving this one to Floid for telling a wonderful story.

My score: 8.5

Re: YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE

PattiForPM
Thanks for your comments lads.  This one does seem to divide us a little but I do think there are many more positives than negatives myself.  Lulu's absence is never forgiveable really and surely she could have played the Swedish Au Pair looking after the twins and driving the double pram in her usual proficient and tolerant manner.  Come to think of it this family is perhaps not the typical Au Pair employer but a little poetic licence to allow Lulu to play the part would surely have been popular.  Vin is right in that I chose this as a partner for You're So Vain as both have the Troupes showing their acting prowess to good effect.  I hope there are other comments to come as this performance really does invite our scrutiny and it is surely hard to be indifferent to it

Re: YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE

Colm
With Lulu only appearing in one routine throughout the whole of June '76 (one I'm certainly looking forward to discussing) and her presence on that 1st July episode still hanging in the ether - may it be safe to say she could have had exams to complete that month, possibly O-Levels? (Which I imagine Rosie would have been doing at exactly the same time...)

Re: YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE

PattiForPM
I think this makes perfect sense Colm and I believe we might well have discussed this in the far distant past here too.  Strange to think of Lulu entertaining the Pop Fans then going off to take O levels but that would be reality for a 16 year old.  Nevertheless we must accept the Lululess Performance before us and I hope there is more discussion before we pass this motion...

Re: YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE

Gorgeous Daze
This is a classic soulful disco number, much beloved by working class women out on the town and Dale Winton. Flick's interpretation was a brilliant hoot. And as a response to 'Your So Vain' it's very much how the other 'alf lives. Floid excels in his tragicomedic role as the mum (or mam?) doomed to her life of domestic drudgery. I agree Gavin is a little wooden, but otherwise they all play their parts perfectly. I'm imaging Lulu as an older daughter who has popped down the offie for dad's beer and fags.

By starting the routine with the two 'young hearts' before switching to 'mum', we're given the impression that she has been day-dreaming. The young hearts are in heavenly white against a celestial backdrop and it works well, separating the dream from the stark reality. The song is a cautionary tale and no doubt she is thinking of happier pre-marital days and what might-have-been. But maybe there's a little more to it than that. As an Englishman I can't help noticing that (whisper it a la 'Your So Vain') the family don't seem to be of the same class as the young hearts. Perhaps mum quietly yearns to rise above her station, like Cherry rising in the arms of Gavin. We might also consider what dad's side of the story may be. Don't be too hard on him gawping at page three, he probably thinks of times when mum was more like Cherry!

It's a rich routine and various details deserve credit. Two of the best are mum day-dreaming again and burning herself on the iron, and baby Sue clutching mum's ankle at 'just can't break away'. It's also amusing to see the babies go from squatting, to crawling, to walking, to dancing, in the space of three minutes. I know it's tough up north but I didn't think kids had to grow up that fast! Nice that all ages, and indeed classes, come together in the end though.

DOTD Floid  9/10

Re: YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE

Suefan
This is a great routine full of fun and invention with those DCDA twins stealing the show as they bicker on to the end.  So a 9.5 from me for the routine with Sue as my Dotd for all her super expressions.

Re: YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE

PattiForPM
Thanks for your reviews lads.  Yes SF the twins do play their parts with gusto and I agree on reflection GD that Lulu as an older sister makes more sense than my fanciful Au Pair.  I really do think these RF performances invite interesting reviews, highlighting their originality and inventiveness

Re: YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE

L&C4me
This post was updated on .
10/10 - DOTD Cherry

This is a very entertaining video that I have seen several times. 'Young Hearts Run Free' and 'The Wanderer' are two of my favourite routines by Ruby Flipper; Largely because of Patti with her magnetically unusual actions, facial expressions, super dancing, beauty and sex appeal.

It is more of a stage play done in time to the song and music than a dance. I was compelled to choose Cherry as Dancer Of The Day because other than at the very end, she and Gavin are the only ones dancing. Cherry and Gavin being the recipients of the slightly superficially but sound advice 'to yourself be true' because 'you have one crack at life' so 'run free' rather than get 'hung up' in an unloving relationship.

Floid is brilliant! His expressions, actions and gestures tell the story both humorously and vividly. Sue and Patti are on top form and provide some memorable execution of childish behaviour, but if I was to choose 'Character Of The Day' for this routine it would be Floid by a mile.

This play tells a story very well of how couples can loose sight of love, obscured by the pressures and distractions of young family life. Floid animates this with skillful brilliance.  Too overloaded with domestic duties to love her man, who then doesn't show her love in return. The cycle perpetuates. This is definitly a charcature of some pre - 1980's working family dynamics where a mans place was at work and a womens in the home and how a sense of being trapped could overwhelm the couple.

Cherry and Gavin are elevated to the ideal of new or young love and promise, with the world at their feet, endowed with unlimited possibilities. Where it all begins...
Jim

Re: YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE

PattiForPM
Welcome indeed to the Ruby Flipper Comments section L&C4Me and your debut with a maximum score is very impressive I must say.  I totally agree with your comments about Patti of course and appreciate your contribution here.  Please feel free to comment on any of the RF performances.

Re: YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE

L&C4me
Thanks PattiForPM

I'll do my best.

The joys of modern phones. I'm taking a break,
in a boat fishing for trout. Nice cool breeze.
Jim

Re: YOUNG HEARTS RUN FREE

VintageVideos
It's really nice to see this routine being appreciated by a lot of members. I didn't anticipate so many high ratings.