Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Everything'sRosie
Thanks for the upload, Zenon. A good show I thought.

I noticed in that Eurythmics/Aretha Franklin video which kept cutting away to clips of female achievement they somehow failed to acknowledge Margaret Thatcher who at the time had been prime minister of the world's fifth largest economy for six years.

I wonder what their excuse would have been for such a startling omission?

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Gorgeous Daze
Everything'sRosie wrote

I've thought and thought and thought but really just can't fathom why this is either ER.

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Everything'sRosie
Haha. Maybe that perpetual liberal affliction to only see the world THEIR way

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

SuPaLu
Annie Lennox has said she doesn't trust political parties and believed in grass-roots activism so 'Sisters Doing It For Themselves' fits right in.Thatcher should have fitted in as she fought her way to the top,but she was an individualist never a 'sister' fighting with and for other women.Also,as a Scot and a Mackem,i can't see how Lennox or Stewart could have been anything but against Thatcher for what she was doing to traditional industries in the North East and Scotland.

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Gorgeous Daze
I agree with some of what you say, but Indira Ghandi was a rich dynastic beneficiary, not someone fighting with her 'sisters', but they still found room for her in the video.

And though like most from working class backgrounds Lennox and Stewart no doubt had issues with Thatcher's deindustrialization, they certainly had reason to appreciate her for the generous tax cuts that made the likes of them rich and seemingly not too abashed to enjoy the fruits of it. I bet Thatcher did more for poorer people with things like 'the right to buy' scheme than Ghandi ever did for India's dhalit underclass too.

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Old Grey Whistler
Perhaps there was some sympathy towards Mrs Ghandi as she had only recently been assassinated.
At least Maggie had the consolation of featuring in the Legs & Co production of Together We Are Beautiful!

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Gorgeous Daze
Old Grey Whistler wrote
Perhaps there was some sympathy towards Mrs Ghandi as she had only recently been assassinated.
At least Maggie had the consolation of featuring in the Legs & Co production of Together We Are Beautiful!
Funnily enough both those thoughts crossed my mind!

But had the Brighton bomber had his utmost wish (like the assassination of Ghandi also the previous year) I do have very big doubts that the Lennox and Franklin video would have paid tribute.

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Everything'sRosie
...and you just know that if the video was made these days it would feature that old crook Hillary Clinton.

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

PattiforPM
I'm doing really well Boss but had to call my sponsor today

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

zenon

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

The Rubberband Man
^^^ Thanks Zenon ^^^
Mike Smith kinda sticks the knife in for the Pet Shop Boys, doesn't he?

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Mikey
19-12-85

https://www.4shared.com/video/0kClrjmkee/TOTP_1985-12-19.html

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Doc
The 4 shared web pages are evil, Norton went crazy when I accidentally clicked the link rather than copied it, blocking about 6 malicious web attacks. Downloads OK with the 4shared app though, thanks.

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

VintageVideos
I've downloaded many shows directly from the 4shared website and never had any problems. And yes, I do have a renowned antivirus programme running (not Norton though as I don't trust them anymore).

I can never work out which is the real download button.

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

SuPaLu
I've found it easier since installing Adblock.Now there is just one 'download' which send you to another one with '20 seconds' on it,rather than being bounced all over the place.
Thankfully though i don't have to bother with that site very much as Popscene FB post the clips using Dropbox.

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

zenon

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

zenon

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Legsfan
As always, thanks zenon..

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Doc
I make it just another 34 episodes to be lost through Smiths refusal to allow the repeats. So lots more internet trawling needed. I'm glad he wasn't a few years older. Think of what it would have been like if he'd joined when Peter Powell did.