Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

Following on from our recent and successful number 1's poll, this is the 4th poll of a total of thirty in which i ask you to pick your `3` favourite UK number 2 singles from the golden years of 1960 - 1989.

Remember that you must select all '3' favourite choices in one go, you cannot vote for one or two then vote again for your third.
The poll ends Friday at 7.30pm. This is a hidden poll and the result will automatically be revealed at the end of the poll. You must be logged-in to vote.
THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.
You can select up to 3 options.
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

The songs that stopped our number 2's from getting to the top.

Duane Eddy - Pepe - (Are You Lonesome Tonight?)

Allisons - Are You Sure - (BOTH - Walk Right Back & Wooden Heart)

Bobby Darin - Lazy River - (Wooden Heart)

Ricky Nelson - Hello Mary Lou/Travelin’ Man - (Runaway)

Billy Fury - Jealousy - (Kon-tiki)

John Leyton - Wild Wind - (Walking Back to Happiness)

Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John - (His Latest Flame/Little Sisters)

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

So we go from one extreme to another. Last weeks poll from 1989 featured 24 number 2's, the most in any of our years. 1961 on the other hand features just 7, not surprisingly the least of any year. Why so few i hear you ask ? Well i suppose the eventual number 1's from this year spent plenty of weeks perched at number 2. Likewise, i suppose when they were toppled, they fell just one place for a week or two and hung around at 2.

I did have reservations about asking you guys to pick three. I mean its difficult enough to pick one. But i thought it best to keep to the tried and tested format. Well good luck in selecting three ! I found it difficult.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

Gorgeous Daze
Thank small mercies there aren't a lot to wade through. On the other hand ironic that I can choose nearly half the field this time.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

Gorgeous Daze wrote
Thank small mercies there aren't a lot to wade through.
Yeah, i did say a few months ago when i first suggested the number 2's pol that the early 60's will be challenging.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

PattiforPM
How interesting to watch all the B+W YouTube vids of these performers from my toddlerhood.  For me this was one very clear winner, one worthy second placer and then a bit of a struggle for the bronze medalist

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

CoffeeThing
Three stood out for me from the diminutive field but I had to listen to them all to be sure. I recognised all except a couple and remember the Allisons and Jimmy Dean still getting a fair bit of air play in my youth of the early 70s, the latter maybe in Ed Stewpot Stewart's show? Inexplicably, I had the wrong  and much later Lazy River playing in my head until I listened to all on YouTube.

Oddly, I saw John Layton many years ago, possibly the 80s or just into the 90s when he was a part of a 60s show. It was a good show and he was still in great physical shape, clearly still a gym goer in relative old age.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

Everything'sRosie
Looking at those record sleeves it's remarkable how physically alike all these artists were. It really was the era of safe pop, even Presley had lost his edge by this time. Still only a year to wait until The Beatles and Stones shook things up.

I went with a euro entry, the moment a clean-cut American boy met his gal, and the ballad of a selfless act of heroism deep underground.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

Who's That Hurll
It's hello again to another no.2s poll. Not a bad selection for seven songs, although a few more options might have pepped it up a bit.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

Michael
That’s more like it! I had no problem choosing three from this selection. I’ll share which I selected and my reasons for doing so  once the results are in.

The very early pre-Beatles/Stones/Who/Kinks years of the Sixties were, in my opinion, a curious time for the U.K. music scene: Rock & Roll, it would seem, had had its day (yeah, right), making way for the ‘polite Pop’ of this period. Yet there was an underlying current that suggested something was going to happen - an idea was taking shape, and my word, did it!

To put things into perspective, these records predate “My Generation” by only four years - talk about one extreme to another!

The No.1s from this year are quite notable, too. “Kon-Tiki” would be my top choice. Hank and the boys were a big influence on me during my early forays into the world of guitar playing.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

SuPaLu
Damn.rather than rely on my usual familiarity of the songs in these polls i can see i'm going to have to spend some time on You Tube.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

  The very early 60s and the time of the, mostly, 2 minute pop song. Only the big bad record going over that mark this time, I think. And I was 1 year old and remember none of these from the time.
  Although only 7 to choose from, I had to think about my second and third choices here. But have gone for the loss of a body part, the bogus brothers and a gusty day in East London.
I had to resort to YouTube for a couple of these, as I said, I was only a wee young thing In 1961.
I think I have chosen a runaway winner this time, but we shall see!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

AC/PD
One real saving grace of the 45's bridging the industry between shots in the arm was their brevity - sweet, innocent and to the point.
I've selected a jovial one, the first line of which my Dad used to sing to signify his good mood a decade or two before ever hearing the original. The second's an Everley-ish cheery au revoir to love and the third originates from an artist mentioned by Madonna (although she clearly has the leather jacket version in mind) is used by This Week as an ironic theme for a Commons man.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

The Rubberband Man
I’ve thrown my 2/6d worth into the pot, and I’ve chosen the touching song about a heroic miner, plus two others to make up the numbers.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

My vote as gone to a Eurovision song, the next one went to a British  navel commander. And last of all a very wild wind.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

I must say I got first and third in this poll. A great record won this poll and for that year.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

YIKES, i forgot all about this. First time ive ever done that .

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

A reduced field for one reason or another, but it appears everyone voted for Hello Mary lou. I also voted for Big Bad John which I had expected to win, and The Allisons (no relation to Big Mal I trust).

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1961.

Well no real surprise to see the year wasn't exactly greeted with enthusiasm by the OFTDs massive. I went for Ricky Nelson (as did the other 13 people who gave it a go), Jimmy Dean and Billy Fury.

So thats two ordinary weeks ive selected on the trot. I promise to up my game next time with a classic year from the 1970's.