Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

Following on from our recent and successful number 1's poll, this is the 13th poll of a total of thirty in which i ask you to pick your `3` favourite UK number 2 singles from the golden years of 1960 - 1989.

Remember that you must select all '3' favourite choices in one go, you cannot vote for one or two then vote again for your third.
The poll ends Friday at 7.30pm. This is a hidden poll and the result will automatically be revealed at the end of the poll. You must be logged-in to vote.
THE POLL IS CLOSED .

VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.
You can select up to 3 options.
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

What records stopped them from hitting top spot ?
The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour (EP) - [Hello Goodbye]

Tom Jones - Delilah - [Lady Madonna]

1910 Fruitgum Company - Simon Says - [What A Wonderful World]

The Small Faces - Lazy Sunday - [What A Wonderful World]

Engelbert Humperdinck - A Man Without Love - BOTH [What A Wonderful World & Young Girl]

Bobby Goldsboro - Honey - BOTH [Young Girl & and again in April 1975 Bye Bye Baby]

OC Smith - Son Of Hickory Holler’s Tramp - [Baby Come Back]

Leapy Lee - Little Arrows - [Those Were The Days]

Casuals - Jesamine - [Those Were the Days]

Barry Ryan - Eloise - [The Good The Bad And The Ugly]

Nina Simone - Ain’t Got No - I Got Life/Do What You Gotta Do - [Lily the Pink]

Foundations - Build Me Up Buttercup - [Lily the Pink]

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

Well by just reading the song titles, i found i had to hit YouTube for 5 of these. Four of the tunes then became familiar to me. The one that has somehow never entered my subconscious is our friend OC Smith. Him and his Hickory Holler thing has evaded me all these years.

I am however (like a lot of you) a Beatles fan. But i just cannot bring myself to vote for an EP number 2 that contains six songs. Just feels like cheating somehow, maybe you guys will see that differently. Don't let me put you of voting for it. On saying that, the six songs in question are excellent fayre. But in a way its only right that `Hello Goodbye` kept if of the top spot. Ive made my choices and voted.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

VintageVideos
I think this selection is not as strong as in some other years that we had although there are certainly a few good tunes. But also a fair number of middling songs.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

A really great selection of records this week Ryan.. So I will think about it

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

Michael
Choosing my top three from this list was very easy, especially as it contains one of my all-time favourite songs.

I'm very interested to see the outcome of this poll...

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

Everything'sRosie
I will need YT for 3 of these which surprised me. And it's possible to have a Top 3 comprising solely of girl's names. I'll take my time before deciding though.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

Old Grey Whistler
As a Stoke City supporter one of these is an absolute shoo in,  however there are no other stand out songs amongst this lot. I keep reading about how the 60's and 70's were so much better than the 80's but this selection doesn't support that argument in my opinion, although I do concede that the number ones for 1968 were very good.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

Gorgeous Daze
I failed to recognize Engelbert's, the complete blank O C Smith, and Nina's pair.

I also feel that having a mini album in the field seems unfair, but there again I'm not comfortable overlooking The Beatles at their creative peak. Another choice is an epic song I'd have voted for again had it risen a place higher when reversing to the 'present' year of 86. My third selection is an indolent one.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

 Considering the year 1968 is right in the middle of the period of the greatest era of modern popular music, you might have expected better than this quite frankly only fair to middling selection. Undoubtedly a year when some of the number 1s were better than the number 2s.
  There are still some good enough tracks here to make the choice tough and the ensuing results very interesting. I admit to discounting, with great reluctance, the grandness of both Eloise by  Barry Ryan and Honey by Bobby Goldsboro. Two songs I remember very well being played frequently on the radio in the 70s. Sorry B and B for overlooking your fine efforts.
 Eventually, after some deliberation within myself, I had to pick a famous song of betrayal- even when no hair is concerned, probably  the best bantamweights in music for their day of rest and the songs from the show that all hippies should adore- and hair very much involved.
 I think the late 60s were the most exceptional time for pop music and I reckon any number from 1 to 10 would have provided some magnificent and memorable tracks. Even if the number 2s of 68 look strange and peculiar to us now.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

PattiforPM
None of you will be surprised that this enemy of the mercy rule sees nothing wrong in a supergroup muscling a mini-album into the singles chart.  Apart from voting for unfair advantage I am also keen on betrayal and sloth.  Narrowly missing out is bereavement.  Merry Xmas everyone

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

CoffeeThing
Another tough call and a very tight split between five or so. It's probably a product of my own aging but it seems absolute classics have diminished in number as the decades have gone on, there was so much quality here, though I think it has all changed so much, I barely recognise some of the modern offerings as music at all never mind hearing the lyric. I really have turned into my Grandad.

I went for a classic sad song, a great BritPop offering and an incredible performance of an original I had not heard as much as a cover that's also very good, but the original is great. I didn't vote for The Beatles, as good as they are, and not because of the EP thing, but because there are so many other songs here that are heard and seen less often, I just enjoyed the opportunity to savour those less exposed classics, and once again taking into account what caught my ear back at the time and when those songs had airplay into the early '70s. I really enjoyed this week's poll offerings.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

CoffeeThing wrote
It's probably a product of my own aging but it seems absolute classics have diminished in number as the decades have gone on, there was so much quality here, though I think it has all changed so much, I barely recognise some of the modern offerings as music at all never mind hearing the lyric. I really have turned into my Grandad.
Its just not you CT, i think we can all relate to that (well most of us). Im sure the `20 somethings` of today will be saying the same thing in 30 years time. You know stuff like "remember that classic tune from 2018".  Obviously if i knew any tunes from 2018 id enter one in the previous sentence.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

The Rubberband Man
Some on this list I wasn’t familiar with. Looked them up on Youtube, and immediately forgot about them again.
So I’ve gone for the best three songs that I already know and like.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

Dancer
Not a very good year in terms of runners up.  I did choose my three though as I only recently heard them on the new Gold DAB radio station.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

Old Grey Whistler
I have voted and my mum will be appalled that I have left out Englebert who was always one of her favourites.  He was my 4th choice in this  selection.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

I've just voted for my three records for this year. The first record is by the best group ever. In there curative period of a magical mystery tour. The second record come from the great Small Faces. The last record goes to a solo artist, with a long song and a big sound.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

Small Faces, Casuals and Foundations for me.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1968.

For the first time I got.all the records in the poll. It was interesting that the Beatles were beaten by the Small Faces.
12