Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

Following on from our recent and successful number 1's poll, this is the 20th poll of a total of thirty in which i ask you to pick your `3` favourite UK number 2 singles from the golden years of 1960 - 1989.

Remember that you must select all '3' favourite choices in one go, you cannot vote for one or two then vote again for your third.
The poll ends Friday at 7.30pm. This is a hidden poll and the result will automatically be revealed at the end of the poll. You must be logged-in to vote.
THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.
You can select up to 3 options.
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

What stopped them reaching the top spot ?
Elvis Presley - Suspicious Minds - [Two Little Boys]

Peter, Paul & Mary - Leavin’ On A Jet Plane - [Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)]

Canned Heat - Let’s Work Together - [Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)]

The Jackson 5 - I Want You Back - [Wandrin’ Star]

The Beatles - Let It Be - [Wandrin’ Star]

Mary Hopkin - Knock Knock, Who’s There - [Bridge Over Troubled Water]

The Moody Blues - Question - [Back Home]

Mr. Bloe - Grovin’ With Mr. Bloe - [In the Summertime]

Free - All Right Now - [BOTH - In the Summertime & The Wonder Of You]

The Kinks - Lola - [The Wonder Of You]

Hotlegs - Neanderthal Man - [The Wonder Of You]

Desmond Dekker & The Aces - You Can Get It If You Really Want - [Band Of Gold]

Deep Purple - Black Night - [Band Of Gold]

Clarence Carter - Patches - [Woodstock]

McGuinness Flint - When I’m Dead And Gone - [I Hear You Knocking]

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

Four of these when reading the title i was unfamiliar with. Once i hit them on YouTube, it was just the Clarence Carter `Patches` thing that had escaped me all these years. Anyhow, ive voted for my 3 songs with The Kinks missing out in 4th place.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

Everything'sRosie
To quote an earlier Mary Hopkin number...those were the days. At a single glance I can estimate there are probably ten here I will consider.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

An excellent selection of which I could easily pick 10 as favourites. "Lola" was the very first 'rock' single in our household when my brother bought it. Had to laugh at the single cover with the B-side being spelt as "Berkeley Men" when actually it was "Berkeley Mews" (brilliant track btw).
Will have to think long and hard before I can pick three.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

After seeing these records. I will after think about it before I will vote. There a lot of great times on this poll.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

Dancer
Some lovely songs here that bring back memories especially at the commencement of the year when I started school.  Remember them as I was getting into my uniform.  The Peter Paul and Mary track was not something you wanted to hear on your first day at school but of course I did and the emotions started.  Lovely track though.  Mary Hopkin's track was our entrant for the Eurovision.  She had a lovely voice too.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

I agree with others that this is a fine collection of tunes.  I've made my choice and decided to YouTube everything even though I didn't need to really.  The Canned Heat TOTP vid on YouTube was certainly worth a few mins of my time

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

I think this is the best ever selection on #2's we've had to date, and IMO many of them are better than the #1's that stopped them getting to the top. So far I've whittled to down to just a final 14 (apologies to Misters McGuinness and Flint)

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

Gorgeous Daze
My choices this week seem a little 'obvious', but them's the ones I like best.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

I can't help but think Clarence Carter in the collage picture resembles Frank Bruno playing a guitar !

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

  A fantastic year for music, highlighting the strength in depth of the charts of the time, which will always be my favourite period of popular music, the late 60s and early 70s. With so much happening, both  inside the charts and with those artists who had no intention of going anywhere near them- and there were many at the time!
 More a question of who to leave out, and only one was instantly dismissed- so sorry for that early 10CC! But of the others, I have 11 I would have happily chosen, so cutting that number down to three was incredibly difficult. At the end the bar room blues, the instrumental grooving, the fab four and the Welsh Songstress were removed with a heavy heart. The three that stayed the course were, the early Bob Dylan coverists, the band with one of the worlds greatest guitarists- a sad rock casualty, who left us to mourn his unjust and premature passing, and a curious event in the West End of London.
  I can remember seeing some of these on TOTPs from the time, most vividly the song which had an oh so apt film of people wandering about an airport.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

Everything'sRosie
After much deliberation I have settled on my choices. A song about emotional restraint inspired by a lost parent. A strangely structured track by a blues combo who went all prog on us, and some Deep South misery to melt the stoniest heart. A fantastic year for music though, and I could easily have chosen another three. Can't wait to see how the good folk at OFTDs vote, because I haven't a clue which way this poll will go.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

Michael
Absolutely spoilt for choice! There're only three amongst this list that I don't like (the Mr Bloe, Elvis, and Mary Hopkins tracks), other than that, all are of note. I've chosen a funky tune that has an excellent bass riff, a tale of old Soho, and an ode to a power cut ;-)

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

TheOtherOne
1970 is one of my all-time favourite years for music with a wide range of styles being represented in the singles charts. The surviving Top of the Pops footage shows how fashionable and "happening" the programme looked during this era. A lot of heavy rock bands had hits during the year including Jethro Tull, Black Sabbath, Ten Years After, Family and Juicy Lucy, and I voted for two other UK examples of the genre along with Macca's song for his Mum.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

CoffeeThing
Some serious songs here and a tough choice, but I'm happy with my three amongst giants.
This week, I are be mostly reflective

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

Who's That Hurll
You can't knock what's on offer here. I had to work hard for my choices, but there's no going back now.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

Interestingly, its now just `Neanderthal Man` featuring pre-10cc members Kevin Godley & Lol Creme that has scored zero votes.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

Everything'sRosie
I'm not surprised, it's rubbish

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1970.

The Rubberband Man
My votes are in, and I don't think "Wandrin’ Star" or "The Wonder Of You" have stood the test of time as much as my picks have.