Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974.

Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974.

Following on from our recent and successful number 1's poll, this is the 8th poll of a total of thirty in which i ask you to pick your `3` favourite UK number 2 singles from the golden years of 1960 - 1989.

Remember that you must select all '3' favourite choices in one go, you cannot vote for one or two then vote again for your third.
The poll ends Sunday at 7.45pm. This is a hidden poll and the result will automatically be revealed at the end of the poll. You must be logged-in to vote.
THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974.
You can select up to 3 options.
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

What records stopped them from hitting the top spot.

Leo Sayer - The Show Must Go On -[You Won’t Find Another Fool Like Me]

The Sweet - Teenage Rampage -[Tiger Feet]

The Hollies - The Air That I Breathe -[Billy, Don’t Be A Hero]

Charlie Rich - The Most Beautiful Girl -[Billy, Don’t Be A Hero]

Mud - The Cat Crept In -[BOTH -- Seasons In The Sun & Waterloo]

Bay City Rollers - Shang-a-Lang -[Sugar Baby Love]

Sparks - This Town Ain’t Big Enough For Both Of Us -[Sugar Baby Love]

Showaddywaddy - Hey Rock And Roll -[The Streak]

The Drifters - Kissin’ In The Back Row -[She]

Stephanie De Sykes & Rain - Born With A Smile On My Face -[Rock Your Baby]

The Stylistics - You Make Me Feel Brand New -[When Will I See You Again]

Donny & Marie Osmond - I’m Leaving It All Up To You -[Love Me For A Reason]

Andy Kim - Rock Me Gently -[Annie’s Song]

Slade - Far Far Away -[Everything I Own]

Queen - Killer Queen -[Gonna Make You A Star]

Gary Glitter - Oh Yes! You’re Beautiful -[You’re The First, The Last, My Everything]

Bachman-Turner Overdrive - You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet -[Lonely This Christmas]

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

CoffeeThing
This is going to be a tough call. Some thinking to do.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Interesting to note that the brother and sister pairing of Donny & Marie were stopped from getting to number one by The Osmonds themselves.

I had it whittled down to four, but ended up dumping Slade.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

VintageVideos
This will be fairly easy for me, as there are exactly three records which I consider a 'must' to vote for. A number of good songs as well, but also a couple of mehs.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Gorgeous Daze
A really strong year for No.2's. I only had to YouTube Rock Me Gently, and pleasantly found I did remember Mr Kim's Neil Diamondish sound.

There are two that have to be near certs despite the competition, and there's also a strong early favourite for my third choice.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

CoffeeThing
Okay, one longish YouTube session later, not because I didn't know them but because I needed to separate them, I've chosen what almost certainly won't be anywhere near the top three. A very tough call and some great offerings. I didn't go for Bachman-Turner Overdrive despite liking the song very much. Unfortunately, these days it reminds me of the Nicie & Smashie sketches more than taking me back to the time of its release.

As an aside, does anyone else think Teenage Rampage resembles Tiger Feet in places?

I really love these polls.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Again another great list to choose from this year. So again anyone of these records could win this poll. You could not say that about the records in the late eighties. So I will think about my choices in this poll.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Dancer
Very difficult to choose from this year because majority were so good and cheesy.  I chose two that Pans People danced to and one classic one that should have been number one just for the lyrics.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Michael
Another bumper crop! 1974 was, in my humble, a golden year for Pop music.

80% of the songs in this list were contenders for my vote, but I managed to whittle my selection down with relative ease.

I’ve gone for a Chin and Chapman classic, a complaint about urban planning, and a song about a lady who keeps champagne in little cabinets.

The temptation to chose “You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet” was strong, though...

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

I didn't vote for her, but just a shout out to the gorgeous S de S. Seldom have i seen a more enticing record sleeve since ive been making the collages for these polls. Sure put a smile on my face.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Everything'sRosie
Some terrific records there. Imo a better list than the Number One's of 74. I've got it down to four, and feel rather sad that I'll have to leave one out.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

The Rubberband Man
Lots of epic records in this list, all of them familiar to me.
Choosing the best three is not so easy but very enjoyable as listening to these songs is a real pleasure.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Legsfan
1974 is a year that I like for No.2s. My favourite out of all of them was performed on the lovely Sue’s first Top of the Pops.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

PattiforPM
There are actually quite a few of these I'm indifferent to, but there again some very good ones and enough competition for my votes.  I'll be interested to see how they fare with the rest of you but I think I might have two top three picks.  For what it's worth my less discerning young self bought 9 of these 45s at the time

After much deliberation I went for a singer/songwriter with a debut hit he would never better. Two brothers whose music is so electrifying it discharges ionized particles. And Smashy and Nicey's signature tune. Let's rock!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

VintageVideos
I've voted international:
An American duo that came like a breath of fresh air with a record that sounded unlike anything else in the charts
A Canadian band enjoying their three minutes of fame in the UK with a tune that is very popular on this site due to a highly memorable Pan's People performance
A UK band closely associated with glam rock reaching the Top 3 for the very last time with one of their best 45's ever

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Legsfan wrote
My favourite out of all of them was performed on the lovely Sue’s first Top of the Pops.
And mine.

Otherwise I voted for a band whose story is currently in cinemas, and in third one where a certain routine tipped the balance away from Scottish bubblegum.

It seems two of our votes are the same GD.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Everything'sRosie
Amazing LIVE performance from Mr Sayer doing The Show Must Go On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6gEkfwozhE

I'm blown away by this. What a tortured soul he seemed back then. Made me think if he had fallen down a mine shaft the day after recording this we would probably consider him to be one of the coolest people who ever existed now.