Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Mikey
Ron Mael of Sparks actually looked even weirder in 1972

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0TsJ6D9QPg

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Old Grey Whistler
There were three obvious choices plus a few other decent songs. Not a difficult decision.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

PattiforPM
I made a serious mistake not voting for one of these I now realise

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

I have chosen my three picks for this year. The first one is one of my favourite bands ever in the pop charts. And that is the Hollies with one of the greatest guitar solos. The second record I've gone for is a wonderful song by a great singer. And the last one done by our ladies at Christmas of that year.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

  Another classic year of hit singles with a large number of great tracks only making the number 2 spot. Not as many stand outs as the late 60s, but more than in later years for me.
I had this down to about 6 or 7 and had much difficulty picking three from that. But have finally chosen a song from an artist we all know which he never bettered, a song about ‘big brown eyes’ and a record from some of Lancashire’s finest.
For those I had to reject an ex-Archie, and I am not smiling not once but twice!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Suefan
A right mixed bag but one from the car karaoke and two from the dance floor made the team.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

AC/PD
Maybe near the bottom of the pile - I've chosen a trio of unglamorous Sunday Love Songs.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Everything'sRosie
I voted for the top two plus Leo Sayer. I originally got it down to four and then had to lose The Air That I Breathe, so I'm delighted to see it came third. There really were some amazing songs this year.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Who's That Hurll
1. The Air That I Breathe  2. This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us.  3.  You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

The same Top 3 songs as the forum! (Albeit, in a different order).

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Gorgeous Daze
Hooray for Sparks! And probably the only ones among them still making high quality music. I very much recommend last year's Hippopotamus album. They're still a great experience live too.

I would think TTABEFBOU is a strong contender to go all the way to the Grand Final of this contest.

I voted for the 1-2-4.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Forgot all about this. Just to much for me to remember on OFTDs

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Anyhow i voted for Sparks, Sweet and i was the lone Glitter voter

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

AC/PD
Hollies, Stylistics and Charlie Rich.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Old Grey Whistler
This is without doubt the worst ever winner of one of these polls. Awful song.
I voted for Queen, The Hollies and BTO.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Sparks, BTO and Slade (surprised they only got 2 votes). Delighted to see Sparks win the poll, a great record and much better than the one that kept it from the top. Incidentally, the whole album "Kimono My House" is great.
Regarding the runner-up, I guess most of you guys will be aware of the fact that Randy Bachman used to be a member of the Guess Who before he founded BTO. His former bandmate, ex-Guess Who lead singer Burton Cummings recorded a jazzy (!) and much slower version of "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" for his eponymous 1976 solo album which is worth a listen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1bijvblzEE

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Old Grey Whistler
On the bright side I am pleasantly surprised that Charlie Rich got some votes. He would have been my 4th choice.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

AC/PD
Evocative enough to make it a superb song, OGW.

If your definition of superb is 'a bit rubbish' then I agree.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

I voted for The Stylistics because I loved the tune and have it about six or seven times.  Love dancing to this.  I voted for Charlie Rich because I loved the Pans People routine to that and I went non-Pans People and voted for Sparks but that song is just brilliant.  A total classic that should have been No.1.  The words and music were just so clever.  Sparks made some fantastic songs and still do and each one is unique.