Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Gorgeous Daze
Old Grey Whistler wrote
This is without doubt the worst ever winner of one of these polls. Awful song.
SF, do give OGW his password back please.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

The Rubberband Man
I voted for This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us, a single that the record company did not have total faith in. The single was released at the time of the energy crisis and the record company warned the band there may not be enough vinyl to make enough records for the song to chart.

You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet, the 'theme song' of those supertastic DJ’s, Michael 'Mike Smash' Smashing and David 'Dave Nice' Nicely, who whenever in doubt and lost for words on their radio show, played this record by pulling a giant lever on the console.

Killer Queen – a song that’s guaranteed to blow your mind anytime. - and is about a very high class call girl. But does she really keep a mohair condom in a pretty cabinet?

Pleased to have got 2/3

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

AC/PD wrote
Hollies, Stylistics and Charlie Rich.
Exactly the same here.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

PattiforPM
Might be the only time me and OGW vote identically but Queen, BTO and Hollies for me too although on reflection I really should have given Leo Sayer a vote I think and dropped the Hollies.  I'm not quite in agreement with OGW on everything else but I am really surprised that Sparks did this well.  I thought Queen would be very close to the top but my #1 was easily BTO, which should be the Canadian National Anthem instead of the dreadful dirge we have now (not that yours is much better mind, says this Land of Hope and Glory voter )

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Legsfan
I voted for Sparks, Queen and BTO.

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

MADMAX
Bachman, Hollies, and yes, the Drifters, My excuse, this number brings back so many memories of my high school days in the early 60's. In a small country town the main form of "out of sight" (if you get my drift) entertainment was the walk-in movies. (Too young for the pub scene) so on the weekends? the song tells the story!

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Michael
My vote for Sparks was the only one to make the top three, but I feel those placed 2nd and 3rd are very worthy.

My other votes were for Queen and The Sweet, the latter being a band the seven-year-old me loved, though not as much as Slade ;-)

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Old Grey Whistler
I think on reflection I was probably a little over aggressive last night concerning Sparks. I still don't like the song much, although that could be because it was the only one in this selection that I didn't know, but it is a little unfair to describe it as awful. I'm still absolutely staggered that it won this poll though when you consider the quality of the field. I really wanted BTO to win.

PS. It is nice to see that P4PM is gradually coming around to my way of thinking. I am expecting him to vote for Huey next time he appears in a poll.

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Old Grey Whistler wrote
 I'm still absolutely staggered that it won this poll though when you consider the quality of the field.
When i make these polls i do get a general feeling whats going to win. As for this year i was in no doubt whatsoever Sparks would win it with relative ease and so it proved to be with 65% (15/23) of the electorate opting for Sparks.

As for being staggered OGW, well im kind of staggered that you haven't heard this song ever. Where ya bin ? I take it you have watched it since. If not, click the YT link below and hopefully you will mellow to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAzESJ62irI

Re: Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks Ryan. Yes I did my due diligence and watched the You Tube clip a couple of times but I didn't like it much and it was never going to get my vote over songs that I have known and liked for more than 40 years.
I can't explain why I don't remember this song. It is possible that it wasn't released in New Zealand or maybe it wasn't very popular over there, but I can't give a definitive answer on that as their official charts didn't begin until 1975. I certainly don't remember hearing it on the radio, either in NZ or the UK, although these days I rarely listen to music radio.
It would be interesting to hear from Mad Max (another of the 35% who didn't vote for it) as to whether this song was very popular in Australia.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Thanks for the link VV to the slower arrangement.  One that would work well for an ecdysiast !

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Gorgeous Daze wrote
Old Grey Whistler wrote
This is without doubt the worst ever winner of one of these polls. Awful song.
SF, do give OGW his password back please.
Yes indeed GD.  Surprise, surprise, I think I may be in agreement with OGW here.

In fact I'd be interested to know what aspects of the song and performance were deemed of any merit at all?  I suppose it fits the 'Oftd cognoscente' zeitgeist but besides being a gimmick I failed to find anything.

And Ryan, please do not have another rant at my expense for another perceived 'negative comment'.  Kindly remember that my opinion is as valid as the next Oftder and furthermore, for your information, I never write drivel.   I may comment on same but I do not contribute such.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1974. (ends Sunday)

Dancer
Maybe because of this poll the whole of the TOTP 1974 3CD ranges have been brought up in all the HMV stores.  The seventies versions were retailing at £4.99 but are now going for £20 plus on auction sites. Fantastic track list.  Get the feeling it was the Sparks tracks that made them buy it but who knows.