Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

Following on from our recent and successful number 1's poll, this is the 17th poll of a total of thirty in which i ask you to pick your `3` favourite UK number 2 singles from the golden years of 1960 - 1989.

Remember that you must select all '3' favourite choices in one go, you cannot vote for one or two then vote again for your third.
The poll ends Friday at 7.30pm. This is a hidden poll and the result will automatically be revealed at the end of the poll. You must be logged-in to vote.
THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.
You can select up to 3 options.
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

What prevented them from hitting top spot ?
Sailor - Glass Of Champagne - [Bohemian Rhapsody]

C. W. McCall - Convoy - [I Love To Love]

Billy Ocean - Love Really Hurts Without You - [Save Your Kisses For Me]

Barry White - You See The Trouble With Me - [Save Your Kisses For Me]

Wings - Silly Love Songs - [Combine Harvester]

Our Kid - You Just Might See Me Cry - [You To Me Are Everything]

Candi Staton - Young Hearts Run Free - [You To Me Are Everything]

Dr. Hook - A Little Bit More - [Don’t Go Breaking My Heart]

Wings - Let ‘Em In - [ BOTH - Don’t Go Breaking My Heart & Dancing Queen]

Rod Stewart - The Killing Of Georgie - [Dancing Queen]

Real Thing - Can’t Get By Without You - [Dancing Queen]

Demis Roussos - When Forever Has Gone - [Mississippi]

Leo Sayer - You Make Me Feel Like Dancing - [If You Leave Me Now]

Queen - Somebody To Love - [Under The Moon Of Love]

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

My three choices were danced to on TOTPs by the resident dance troupe of the time. Did that influence my choices, no certainly not.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

Dancer
Ditto with me too.  One I have never seen and would love to one day.  In the words of the b-side to the single maybe in [a couple more years].

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

PattiforPM
For me this was two automatics and one struggle.  One or two of these choices could seriously damage your street cred so watch out boys

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

I love 1976, not just the music but that whole year. Tough choice and I struggled having to leave out The Real Thing. In the end, I went for one of the greatest live bands of all time, one of the greatest bands of all time full stop, and my favourite singer in his pomp.

Street cred? Sigh, if only I had any to worry about. I'm the OFTD equivalent of the Birdie Song.
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

Michael
What a superb year 1976 was - certainly from a musical point of view. Though I was only nine, memories of the seemingly endless summer, most of which was spent exploring Aylesbury on my bike, are indelibly etched on my mind...

What have I chosen from this list? A band of which Dee Dee's hubby was a member; a song whose bass line is one of my all-time favourites; and to top it all off, I've selected something majestic.

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

Everything'sRosie
Ruby, Legs and Pans (somewhat tenuously) have shamelessly influenced my vote. Though I think the best song here is Rod Stewart's The Killing Of Georgie. But I'm judging records in terms of entertainment value and what memories they conjure up in my head, not necessarily the quality of song, and so I'm forced to leave it out.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

PattiforPM wrote
One or two of these choices could seriously damage your street cred so watch out boys
I take your warning on board P4PM. Those scouse scamps in their John Collier suits did tempt the inner devil in me but I fought him off by asking myself, would I leave my car parked in their street for any period of time?

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

  Like many on here, I have some great memories of 1976. The Long Hot summer, of course, Southampton turning over Man Utd in the FA Cup, the Montreal Olympics etc. And personal ones, leaving school after my O Levels- two if you ask! My first short job, and a long period of unemployment, when I did enjoy the summer. What a Fantastic Year!!
  Music wise, I thought it was a good year as well, and nowhere near as bad as had been made out later- as the reason for Punk.
  And, clearly the end of Pan's People casts a long shadow over the year as well, brightened by the curiosity of Ruby Flipper and the awakening of the new dawn with Legs and Co. Wow!!
 There are a number of good tracks I could have chosen but I have selected the controversial ballad- at the time, a young man who would become wider known in the 80s and a great soul song with a great fun routine by you know who.
 Sorry not to choose Sailor or Queen here, it was a close and tough call.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

Everything'sRosie wrote
PattiforPM wrote
  Are there any from Liverpool on here who would like to defend their city's honour? Surely not all Scousers are like that- not even Wayne Rooney!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

What prevented them from hitting top spot ?
Wings - Silly Love Songs - [Combine Harvester]
....And you'll have a really big restaurant

I've gone a record from a doyenne of rock, and two records where the involvement of Ruby Flipper is purely coincidental.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

Hanway2 wrote
Everything'sRosie wrote
PattiforPM wrote
One or two of these choices could seriously damage your street cred so watch out boys
I take your warning on board P4PM. Those scouse scamps in their John Collier suits did tempt the inner devil in me but I fought him off by asking myself, would I leave my car parked in their street for any period of time?
  Are there any from Liverpool on here who would like to defend their city's honour? Surely not all Scousers are like that- not even Wayne Rooney!
Don't get me wrong I love the place, I'm an Evertonian and have friends and relations in the city. Yes, poor old Wayne Rooney. He should take a leaf out of that clean-cut Jamie Carragher's book!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

CoffeeThing
Poor old Wayne, he is good entertainment value though! Yes indeed, good old 'gob on them' Jamie roll model!

I'm not a Scouser, but I am an avid Liverpool fan, ironically since I took an interest in football in 1976! Just read today that Everton think their new stadium will be the catalyst that sees the balance of power shift on Merseyside. Maybe so, but they'll need some really good undersoil heating to get the games on after hell has frozen over!

Even more coincidentally, I spent the long hot summer of 1976 in Oxford, just down the road from Michael there in Aylesbury
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

Gorgeous Daze
Easy to whittle these down to just a few but there are some good songs here that I'm happy to support. Hmm, which three the most?

As for the year 1976 in general, a great golden haze of innocence.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

I love Ryan's collages of record sleeves. They always tell me something new. For instance I never knew Billy Ocean's song was called "A Love Really Hurts Without You"! And how much grumpier can you look than C.W. McCall? Also interesting that the Netherlands were seemingly the only country that felt the need to put Paul McCartney's name on the sleeve of 'Let 'em In' while in all other countries the artist was simply named Wings.
Some sleeves even tell a short story like:
You Make Me feel Like Dancing, Magdalena!
or:
Young Hearts Run Free - I Know!
You See The Trouble With Me: I'm So Blue And You Are Too
or how about:
Let 'em In
(But Beware My Love!)
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

Everything'sRosie

    Here's a picture of Dee Dee with her fella, Henry Marsh of Sailor. Who is an Oxford graduate, no less.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

Gorgeous Daze
Sailor must have been one of the poshest bands around. Georg Kajanus is European aristocracy, the son of a Russian Prince. And - say no more - another member was called Grant. Another thing that makes them stand out is they utilized neither lead electric guitar nor bass, using acoustic guitar and bass tones on the 'Nickelodion' instead.

Oh, I'm a bit of a fan and have a few of their CDs.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

Caracalla
Dee Dee just got better and classier looking over the years and she started out stunning.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1976.

Vin if you look at the list of released versions only the dutch one seems to use the "A" which to me is not grammatically correct, but it is curious nonetheless.

https://www.discogs.com/Billy-Ocean-Love-Really-Hurts-Without-You/master/112870