Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1979.

Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1979.

Following on from our number 1's poll, this is the 23rd poll of a total of thirty in which i ask you to pick your `3` favourite UK number 2 singles from the golden years of 1960 - 1989.

Remember that you must select all '3' favourite choices in one go, you cannot vote for one or two then vote again for your third.
The poll ends Friday at 7.45pm. This is a hidden poll and the result will automatically be revealed at the end of the poll. You must be logged-in to vote.
THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1979.
You can select up to 3 options.
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1979.

What stopped them from reaching the top spot ?
Abba - Chiquitita - [Heart of Glass]

Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Oliver’s Army - [BOTH - Tragedy & I Will Survive]

The Village People - In the Navy - [I Will Survive]

Squeeze - Cool For Cats - [Bright Eyes]

Racey - Some Girls - [Bright Eyes]

M - Pop Muzik - [Bright Eyes]

Roxy Music - Dance Away - [Sunday Girl]

Squeeze - Up the Junction - [Are ‘Friends’ Electric?]

Janet Kay - Silly Games - [Are ‘Friends’ Electric?]

The Police - Can’t Stand Losing You - [I Don’t Like Mondays]

B. A. Robertson - Bang Bang - [We Don’t Talk Anymore]

Blondie - Dreaming - [Message In A Bottle]

Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love - [When You’re In Love With A Beautiful Woman]

Abba - I Have a Dream - [Another Brick In The Wall]

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1979.

Easily my favourite year for number 2s, number 1s and just about everything. Crank up the time machine and set it for 01/01/79.

As for the poll, well there are so many ive left out of my 3 that i really like. Gutted to have omitted Blondie with one of my favourite tracks by them. Ive gone all British though for my three and im happy with my final choices.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1979.

Michael
Ryan, this is undoubtedly my very favourite year so far for No.2s too. A stellar selection. There are only two songs I don't like, namely Racey and Village People's.

I based my selections on songs that bring back the most vivd, happy memories of 1979 – probably the happiest year of my childhood. Being twelve was good. Everything turned to poop during my early teens!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1979.

Mikey
Bit of a shame for Squeeze just missing out twice (as did Abba but they had a lot of success in other years).

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1979.

PattiforPM
I also feel sorry for the Air Force

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1979.

The Rubberband Man
Easy to pick the best #2
I have a short list of seven for the other two places

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1979.

CoffeeThing
Loads of greats here, this will take some thinking about. I tend to do as Michael outlined and go with what I liked back then and invokes memories. Still a tough call this time around.
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1979.

Everything'sRosie
My three include two songs which mention multiple locations around the world, and a third which never gets out of dreary old Clapham.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1979.

AC/PD
An entertaining and varied selection of close to the top candidates here.
Unusually, it might be relatively easy to discard not one but two ABBA songs.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1979.

 I may not be as fussed as some about the year 1979, but I still think it was a very good year. The ending of the 70s was upon us, a very sad time indeed. I remember it well. Well enough to remember the cold winter and  the dismal Spring. But in all other respects, it was a notable year with the U.K’s first Female Prime Minister a major talking point.
  For my choices I have again had to leave out some that I would have like to pick, so no dongs about felines or sleep made my list. But I have chosen the songs about an Honourable Member for Huntingdon, that starts of on a windy common and the double diminutive.
Very interested to see who wins this week, and I would reckon that all the possible choices will have their supporters.
Yes, 1979 was a very fine year all told, for music.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1979.

Gorgeous Daze
A fantastic time for music, though for me this is a collection comprising B list and C list songs. Meaning pretty good but we've had better polls. One song was chosen before long, but I'm still mulling over which two are preferred from the rest of my favourites.

Interesting contest, one of the toughest to predict.

What a great selection. I finally went for an eclectic choice of music, one of which is from a British band surely blessed with a little squeeze of genius.

I agree with everyone that this was a really good year but also with GD that this selection is good but not great and I have now chosen my three after a fair bit of thought

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1979.

The Rubberband Man
Great year and all are contenders (maybe not so much Racey) but it's a list of vintage classics.
My votes go to :-

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1979.

Gorgeous Daze
I've selected the longest option, an academic maker of jams, and a pocket soap.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1979.

My votes went for three good records in this poll.The first is by the Swedish group.The second as a army in it. And the last goes to a Roxy kind of music 🎶.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1979.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1979.

No real surprise here for me. I had UTJ down as the favourite. What a great song it is and of course one of those rarities that has the song title only heard as the final words of the song.

Anyhow, i went for both Squeeze's and Roxy Music. Talking of Roxy Music, wasn't `Virginia Plain` from 1972 another that the song title is the last words one hears in the song !

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1979.

Everything'sRosie
Although I voted for UTJ and Pop Muzik, I'm amazed my other choice Oliver's Army did not make the Top Three  as I had expected it to romp home. A real surprise (to me) but then that's what makes these polls so fascinating.