Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

Your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

Following on from our number 1's poll, this is the 27th poll of a total of thirty in which i ask you to pick your `3` favourite UK number 2 singles from the golden years of 1960 - 1989.

Remember that you must select all '3' favourite choices in one go, you cannot vote for one or two then vote again for your third.
The poll ends Friday at 7.45pm. This is a hidden poll and the result will automatically be revealed at the end of the poll. You must be logged-in to vote.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.
You can select up to 3 options.
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

What stopped them hitting top spot ?

John Lennon & Yoko Ono And The Plastic Ono Band - Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - [Imagine]

Adan & The Ants - Antmusic - [Imagine]

Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight - [Woman]

Ultravox - Vienna - [BOTH - Woman & Shaddup You Face]

Adam & The Ants - Kings Of The Wild Frontier - [Jealous Guy]

Kim Wilde - Kids In America - [This Ole House]

Ennio Morricone - Chi Mai (Theme From ‘Life And Times Of David Lloyd-George) - [Making Your Mind Up]

Star Sound - Stars On 45 - [Stand And Deliver]

Shakin’ Stevens - You Drive Me Crazy - [Stand And Deliver]

Kate Robbins And Beyond - More Than In Love - [Being With You]

Star Sound - Stars On 45 (Volume 2) - [Ghost Town]

Stevie Wonder - Happy Birthday - [Green Door]

Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - Hooked On Classics - [Green Door]

The Police - Invisible Sun - [Prince Charming]

The Tweets - The Birdie Song (Birdie Dance) - [ BOTH - Prince Charming & It's My Party]

Laurie Anderson - O Superman - [It’s My Party]

Altered Images - Happy Birthday - [ BOTH - It's My Party & Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic]

Cliff Richard - Daddy’s Home - [Don’t You Want Me]

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

Good year and i found it a difficult task to get it down to my final 3, so much so that eternal runner-up `Vienna` got hoofed into 4th place on my list.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

Are you trying to subtly lure us in to Stars on 45?

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

No. Though i don't have such an issue with all the Stars On 45 stuff like a lot of people do.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

Old Grey Whistler
My choices are going to be very conservative.
 Regarding Stars on 45, I think they were quite good. My only gripe with them was that they spawned a series of inferior follow ups. 1981 was definitely the year of the medley.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

 A curate's egg of a year, and you know what a curate's egg is like. And was this the only year when two different songs with the same title made number two?
  Some I could discount very easily, which left me debating with myself over about half a dozen. Out went Phil and Adam, and my fourth choice would have been the posthumous Liverpool Legend and wife.
 The three settled on by me consist of a track from a band I never like very much- but this is one of their better efforts- and they include an ex-Charioteer, a bunch of new wave Glaswegians and a self-penned Opera inspired number.
   I am tempted to say that if anyone votes for the 'Birdie Song', I will quit this Forum forever- as others have threatened to do. But I bet someone will pick that track- and there are far worst novelty hits around anyway, and I would miss you all. I would have to return under an assumed identity- and I wouldn't be able to go to Derby. So I won't! But it will be interesting to see if the Birdie Song figures in somebody's 'best three of 1981'.
  Roll on the last year of 60s next week- 1969! Hooray!!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

The Rubberband Man
It's not often you get two records with the same title in these lists, so I've gone for one of them.
I've also gone for an artist who was kept off the #1 spot by one of his own records, and a record by Lou Reed's Mrs.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

CoffeeThing
A tough call, some very decent options, many in fact, without ever being a particularly favourite year of mine. I was really into the charts in particular between ages thirteen and sixteen. It's interesting how music changed so much from the disco and Abba-esque days of 1979, the girls dancing and all of  the fun that came with it, to the early 1980s, with darker themes, the girls gone and greyer days. 1981 was a bit of a transition to me, a mix of fun dregs from what gas been and what was soon to be a new era.

I have also very reluctantly had to leave out Vienna, in this case for a wee Glaswegian lass, who was a huge crush back in the day and just as lovely now, and her friends. The other two were easier as I went for a then decade old classic of my favourite genre and the man who arrived in Philly at pretty much the same time left London on Concorde to play this song at Live Aid four years or so after it charted.
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
A good year. And for once looking down the list, the choice is surprisingly easy, because for me, 3 stand head and shoulders above the rest.

A beautifully orchestrated theme from a TV show that was danced to by Legs, a truly classic pop song so redolent of the era (which I am sure will win the poll), and a groundbreaking piece of music that when I played it for a girlfriend about 10 years ago elicited the response "well, that's 9 minutes I will never get back"....
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

Gorgeous Daze
One of the greatest years of pop, undoubtedly, and certainly some cream rising near the top here. I'd readily substitute many choices from other No.2 polls (and come to that No.1 polls) for several that I have to reject this time. And yes, medleys would be coming off the bench.

I've voted for a band who capitalized on the departure of Dennis Leigh, a dandy banging his own drums on the highway to the top, and keeping it in the family ventriloquising for Reagan's youth.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

Hanway2 wrote
 But it will be interesting to see if the Birdie Song figures in somebody's 'best three of 1981'.

I've just voted and I can assure you it was never under consideration. It's not in the same league as 'Agadoo'!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

That's no league, that's a septic tank.  The cynical part of me suspects that the Birdie song would be more likely to get a vote if one of the birds had a large chest measurement.  Sorry, bad day at work.  Some of these songs did cheer me up a bit though and I do think this is a pretty good year apart from the Medley monkey business.  Must admit it was quite smart of someone to sell a bunch of records by just spitting out previous hits over a drumbeat though.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

My votes went to the great John Lennon for the first one. The second goes to the wonderful Ultrvox and Vienna. And the last goes to a great routine with a classical music bent.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

Kids In America, Antmusic and Happy Birthday (Altered Images) were my 3 choices.

What a worthy winner Kim Wilde was. Great to look at and a darn fine pop song as well. Shame she didn't get to number 1, prevented from doing so by our old friend Shaky.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

Everything'sRosie
My top three for the last 2 weeks precisely mirrored the result. But this week I was totally at odds with forum opinion. I went with musical legends Lennon and Morricone...my third choice was Starsound, and I unashamedly admit I was influenced by that amazing Legs routine.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

Who's That Hurll
1. Antmusic  2. Kids in America  3. Stars on 45 vol 1.

Here's Kim performing our winner on Disco.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUj80TOOciY

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number 2's from 1981.

PattiforPM
Ultravox, Phil and Shaky for me.  I do quite like the winning song although I don't like Kim Wilde's output as much as many people seem to