Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

This is the 27th of our `Tuesday to Friday polls` in which we vote on our favourite UK number one singles from the golden years of pop, 1960 to 1989. Your task is to decide which 'three' are your favourites from each given year.

Remember that you must select all '3' favourite choices in one go, you cannot vote for one or two then vote again for your third.
The poll ends Firday at 8.00pm. This is a hidden poll and the result will automatically be revealed at the end of the poll. You must be logged-in to vote.
THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.
You can select up to 3 options.
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

So much choice, difficult to narrow it down to just 3. I only voted for one helping of Beatles, and my other two were also groups.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

VintageVideos
Some really good stuff. Much better than 20 years later as far as I'm concerned.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

PattiforPM
Golden age.  Gotta really think here

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

The Rubberband Man
A lot to think about, and so many to chose from. Bob Borst's medley may jog the memory (the first song Bob plays, nice as it is, doesn't count)

http://d1pop96i45smdf.cloudfront.net/popculture/medley/final/uk/year/1965.mp3

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

A very difficult year with nearly all the number 1s worthy of consideration, even Ken Dodd maybe. I have narrowed my choices down to 5 and am thinking hard on which of these to pick from to make the final three. I will need more time on this.
1965 a great year all round for pop/chart music and would herald  in the beginnings of the varied rock music scene as it splintered into many different pieces. A great time to be alive, and I was there! At all of 5 years old!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

Hanway2 wrote
even Ken Dodd maybe.
Yep, Doddy spent 5 weeks at the top and it was the best selling single of 1965. Not enough to get my vote, but worth a listen every now and again.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

CoffeeThing
Loads of choice and all very good too. It's done, all groups but despite liking them, no Beatles!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

MADMAX
Had never heard of Dodd, so I had a listen, and thought he must have been from the fifties, Then I read your comment Ryan, so I checked further and found he was a very successful fellow. OBE  etc. "Tears" made #11 here. I also read he passed away back in March at 90, so he had a good innings. Made my selection from the list but couldn't pick Dodd i'm affraid

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

After think this through, what great year for number ones.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

The Rubberband Man
The 3 from me are :-

Some of these #1's I've never heard before. The records by Cliff Richard and Jackie Trent have completely passed me by until now.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

Thanks for the link TRBM.  Plenty of choice this year with a duet from the car karaoke plus another two from across the pond making my selection.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

This has been very difficult, and some of those discarded would easily make the top ONE  in many other years. Having cut the original list down to my favourite five, I have had to reject Judith Durham and the boys and Cherilyn and Salvatore- with a heavy heart as they are great songs from the time, and can remember both acts from, perhaps, a few years later on entertainment shows, if not exactly TOTPs.
Thus, I have gone for Bill and Bobby, some flying folk rock and THE song of the 60s from that band who are not The Beatles.
I say this for all years from the mid 60s to mid 70s, but what a great year for the charts it was.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
This post was updated on .
Well I am still reeling from just seeing the result of last week's poll, I thought Under Pressure was a certainty!

However I must say this is the best year in depth for Number One's I have seen so far. A veritiable cornucopia of great tracks, and so very hard to narrow it down to 3.

I'm gonna Go Now for a cover of a Dylan song, Oh Bob, I'll Never Find Another you.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
After a few polls were I had to fail around desperately for a third choice, here's a year stuffed with platimun pop.

First off, in order to avoid voting for three Beatles singles, I had to turn down my internal Beatles fan. Even trying to make one Beatles choice would turn him right back on again, so I had to decide: no Beatles. They're big. They can get by without me.

The Stones: this is their turning point year, R&B from fan-boys to Rock Stars, and all their featured singles are pretty damn interesting. But not quite good enough.

Elvis: Crying In The Chapel is the kind of insipid mince that cemented his post-army decline.

The Kinks: A fantastically good sixties pop group, but the "Number Ones Only" filter is never kind to them. Their one contender here doesn't make it for me.

I went for absolute pop classics, three-minutes slices of aural perfection: and even then, I'm spoilt for choice.

So It's...

   Georgie Fame - Yeh Yeh. A stone cold pop / r&b masterpiece.

   Unit Four Plus Two - Concrete And Clay. I was alive (barely) this year, and I think this one entered my baby aesthetic system and stuck there. I loved it for years before I knew it's name.

   The Seekers - The Carnival Is Over. Again, imprinted on my infant brain. Judith Durham's voice is sublime, and the melody is so great it even sounds good when grumbly ole' Nick Cave covered it.

Special mentions for the Moody Blues (their best), Roger Miller (his most pedestrian) and The Byrds.

YMG
You've all done vey well!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

Who's That Hurll
I'm along for the ride and unusually, I'm already shaw of my choices.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

Everything'sRosie
Some incredible music here. To echo what others are saying, in some of the 80s years it's hard to find 3. This year there are only 3 I wouldn't consider voting for.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

Just voted so I went for one from the best band. And one from a name sake and the last from a great Dylan song. But as been very difficult to choose they all great number ones. I will pleased with any one getting the top spot on our vote.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1965.

Gorgeous Daze
I like so many of these, yet they don't mean something to me in quite the same way as songs I can recall from the time do. I reached the conclusion there just isn't a definitive three I prefer, I voted for the ones that seemed to appeal the most on the day.