Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1966.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1966.

VintageVideos
Three things that I don't like:
- standstill
- rainy weekends
- half-heartedness

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1966.

Old Grey Whistler
This year seems to have gone down well with most of you! Personally I would describe this selection as being good rather than great.
Amongst my votes is a song which is always very popular at the annual seismologists convention.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1966.

Sounds to me like you're seriously in need of some happy oscillations Vin

Thanks to all 21 who took part, great turn-out. As for my choices, well i didn't bother the top three, i usually get at least one of them. I went for These Boots, Paperback & With A Girl Like You.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1966.

Old Grey Whistler
I voted for the winner from The Beach Boys, and also for The Kinks. My other vote went to Tom Jones, but I didn't expect him to poll as well as he did. I thought the old boyo would have been more popular over on 'One For The Mums'.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1966.

I must say I got the winner, Like you Ryan went for Paperback Writer. And the last was the Walker Brothers. With the great Scott Walker, and no Stevie Winwood.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1966.

Pleased about the winner. It's my fave Beach Boys song. A pocket masterpiece.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1966.

Who's That Hurll
1. Green, Green Grass of Home 2. Keep On Running  3. Pretty Flamingo.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1966.

I starting to wonder if The Beatles will miss out on winning any of our years. I think they stand a very good chance in 68 with HJ, but im not so sure about other years.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1966.

It was only with this poll that I've discerned the full narrative of Green Green Grass Of Home. I've just never thought the old boyo was worth paying much attention to. But he was. Well at least for this song.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1966.

I wonder if Eleanor Rigby would have polled better if it hadn't been coupled with the monotonous Yellow Sub ?

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1966.

Gorgeous Daze
I seem to be in a minority, but Yellow Sub is a positive inclusion here!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1966.

Good Vibrations is a masterpiece, and 9 votes is a significant win.
What's the song about? Is it about taking drugs or is it about groovy sex?

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1966.

Gorgeous Daze
The Rubberband Man wrote
What's the song about? Is it about taking drugs or is it about groovy sex?
Both at the same time probably.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1966.

The genius of Brian Wilson wins out. I went for GV, Paint It Black and All Or Nothing. I expected The Walker Brothers to win, and agonised over voting for them myself. Says something about the year when a bona fide classic like TSAGSA couldn't get in the top three.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1966.

JEZ
Distant drums by the great voice of jim reeves ,classic motown of reach out ,and the great tom jones classic green green grass for me

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1966.

Good Vibrations was an incident from Brian Wilson's childhood; he was walking past a garden gate when a dog on the other side went mad. Asking his accompanying mother what had spooked the dog, she said...you must have given him bad vibrations. The words stuck with him and changing bad for good a classic was born. The genius of the song is more to do with the production innovations than the lyrics though, which probably don't mean anything at all. Everyone was high on LSD back then, of course.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1966.

The Rubberband Man wrote

I went for :-
Rolling Stones - Paint It Black
The Beatles - Paperback Writer
The Troggs - With A Girl Like Lulu

Big year for #1's with the Beatles and the Stones and The Beach Boys all at the top of the charts. The guitar riff and bass line on Paperback Writer is awesome and it's my fav #1 from 1966. Tom Jones cover of "The Green Green Grass Of Home" spent 7 weeks at #1 and to date has sold over 1.23 million copies

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1966.

AC/PD
The Rubberband Man wrote

Hmm, I thought you'd selected Where Do You Go To My Lovely by Pretence Badly

123