Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.

Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.

This is the 21st of our `Tuesday to Friday polls` in which we vote on our favourite UK number one singles from the golden years of pop, 1960 to 1989. Your task is to decide which 'three' are your favourites from each given year.

Remember that you must select all '3' favourite choices in one go, you cannot vote for one or two then vote again for your third.
The poll ends Friday at 7.30 pm. This is a hidden poll and the result will automatically be revealed at the end of the poll. You must be logged-in to vote.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.
You can select up to 3 options.
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.

Voted for my three, all Brit groups.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.

The Rubberband Man
This has to be the best year for #1 singles ever in the whole history of music.
It's impossible to choose just three. I have 20 that are all in equal place at the moment for my selection (Des O' Conner is the only record I've eliminated for now).

Here's Bob Borst's take on it, starting with a Beatles track from 1967

http://d1pop96i45smdf.cloudfront.net/popculture/medley/final/uk/year/1968.mp3

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.

PattiforPM
I agree great Year but Des has invited Cliff and Lily to join him sailing in the doldrums

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.

AC/PD
One suspects a widespread set of results for this particular year.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.

Oh bugger, just noticed one at the top I would have definitely voted for. Oh well that’s one less it’ll get.
Had to vote for Louis, that and his James Bond song ‘All The Time In The World’ always get the emotions going! The 2nd title ironically recorded very shortly before his death.
Look how sharp my screen grab is!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.

PattiforPM
I sympathize Doc; I have voted but I am truly a conflicted soul, full of doubts too

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.

Old Grey Whistler
What a great year. I have two definite selections but it's any one from about 10 for the third choice.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.

Everything'sRosie
We've had some fabulous years to choose from, but surely 1968 is the best yet. So many amazing artists at the top of their game. Picking three is going to be agony as I'm going to have to leave out some classic tracks.

Objectivity can take a hike, the popular music of today IS inferior to this...and by a long long way!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.

Oh. What a year! A time of demonstrations and assassinations and one of the greatest twelve months in popular music, ever.
It has been more difficult than usual to pick the three numbers from 1968 required. Apart from ignoring the easy listening of Des and Cliff and the individuality of Lily, it could have been any three of the others- almost. Even the Israeli duo has a certain charm, and I remember it well from the time!
In the end I have had to pass over the Beatles, with reluctance, but have gone for a Beatles cover, an iconic group at the beginning of their years at the height of inspiration and the Whitby pyromaniac.
Again what a year. And proof, if any needed, that the late 60s was a period of unforgettable and unbeatable music.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.

Everything'sRosie
I've had to overlook two Beatles classics, but the fab four (not that anyone was calling them that by 1968) are all over two of my selections. And the other comes from their great rivals.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
There are some good songs here but yet again I would suggest that a lot of better songs never made it to the top in this year - Ive gone for someone better know as a chat show host, a young man who would come back and storm the charts with a succession of hits in the early 80s, and a song which forebodes another that also went to number one in 1980.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.

The Rubberband Man
After much deliberation, I've whittled it down to :-

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.

Who's That Hurll
I was just lying down and thinking about better times in the past, when some pals of mine shouted "Hey! Do you need some assistance?"

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.

Loved the clues, TRM. I got the first two straight off, but had to work for the third and think outside the box, as it were. Very clever. And very true.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.

I really like the clues Rubberband Man. The last one is very clever.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.

The Rubberband Man

Everything'sRosie wrote
Loved the clues, TRM. I got the first two straight off, but had to work for the third and think outside the box, as it were. Very clever. And very true.
Legsfan wrote
I really like the clues Rubberband Man. The last one is very clever.
Well done for guessing, I"m sure you're thoughts are correct, but I'm revealing nothing until after the poll results are in

😇

No name before closure, TRM.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.

CoffeeThing
Tough call, some great ones here. I went for a couple that I remember enjoying on the radio a lot as a young child over a couple that I have liked for a number of years as I've got older.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1968.

Gorgeous Daze
It barely matters that I don't consider the sixties to truly be my era when there are this amount of songs that have endured half a century (gulp) on. It wasn't easy deciding on the three.