Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

This is the 10th of our `Tuesday to Friday polls` in which we vote on our favourite UK number one singles from the golden years of pop, 1960 to 1989. Your task is to decide which 'three' are your favourites from each given year.

Remember that you must select all '3' favourite choices in one go, you cannot vote for one or two then vote again for your third.
The poll ends Friday at 7.30pm. This is a hidden poll and the result will automatically be revealed at the end of the poll. You must be logged-in to vote.

THE POLL IS CLOSED

VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.
You can select up to 3 options.
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Nine fewer to choose than last weeks yearly poll, but im sure most of you will agree the quality of number ones some six years later has dropped markedly. Anyhow, ive picked my three choices.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

VintageVideos
One of those No. 1s is the first single I ever bought. Two others I also spent my pocket money on, so in theory this should be an easy choice. But there are some more great songs, so I'll keep thinking for a while.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

I will after think about this one Ryan.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

PattiforPM
Which two other songs shall I choose?

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

sueforever wrote
I will after think about this one Ryan.
Yes think S4E. You have a further 71½ hours to cogitate.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

PattiforPM wrote
Which two other songs shall I choose?
Yes i know what you mean. Shall i just abandon the poll and announce whats going to win it

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Shall i just abandon the poll and announce whats going to win it
I will not vote for it.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Certainly won't be after several days to finalise a choice of three for this one.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

No I'm really interested to see the rankings in this one Ryan even if #1 seems a foregone conclusion

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

VintageVideos wrote
I will not vote for it.
 I didn't think you were an England supporter anyway Vin

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Done, tough call, some great tunes.
This week, I are be mostly Meccano

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

One of these songs is absolutely fantastic and I like it so much that I am thinking of having it played at my funeral.
But my musical tastes seem to be quite different to most on here so I will probably be the only one who votes for it!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

VintageVideos
When you listen to Tears of a Clown, make sure it's the correct single mix and not the album version.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

PansLegs
I'm not a fan of the added drum pattern on the 1970 single mix of Tears of a Clown. Ironically when it was featured on Top of The Pops, the BBC just pulled out their existing copy of the track, the 1967 mix.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

VintageVideos
I think there are actually no less than 4 different versions of TOAC:
1. The original 1967 mono album mix (with a different vocal take than No. 2, 3 & 4)
2. The original 1967 stereo album mix
3. The 1970 mono US single mix (slowed down, drums added, and a new bassline added)
4. The 1970 stereo album mix (original speed, drums added, but utilising the original bassline)

Incidentally it seems that the UK opted to release version 2 (the original 1967 stereo album mix) on the 1970 single while the US released the new 1970 mono mix.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

PansLegs
VintageVideos wrote
Incidentally it seems that the UK opted to release version 2 (the original 1967 stereo album mix) on the 1970 single while the US released the new 1970 mono mix.
That explains that then. Thanks Vin.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Everything'sRosie
I've gone for one of the most beautiful songs ever written. A tribute to a soggy field. And my my third choice, umm, let me think, if only there was a record here that I somehow feel intrinsically linked to...

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

The Rubberband Man
Bob Borst medley for 1970 :-

http://d1pop96i45smdf.cloudfront.net/popculture/medley/final/uk/year/1970.mp3  (It starts with a burst of song from Rolf Harris)

Chart Facts:
The biggest selling record of 1970 was Elvis Presley - The Wonder Of You
Longest time at #1 was Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Mikey
Some excellent glum pictures there, good work especially Mr Greenbaum, although not you Dana!

Art Garfunkel appears to be the worlds worst hider