Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Hanway2
Another great year for chart hits, with a wide range of memorable records to choose from. I have gone for the perfect bubblegum hit, a posthumous release for the ever famous guitarist and another soul classic.
But again I could have picked a number of others in a top class year for the charts. But the Second best ever England Football Team is not among them. Better footballers than singers,, no doubt. But Ian Matthews of the Southern Comfort had trials for at least one Football Club if I remember rightly.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Old Grey Whistler wrote
One of these songs is absolutely fantastic and I like it so much that I am thinking of having it played at my funeral.
I really hope it's "I Hear you Knocking"
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Well I missed last weeks vote through snow disruption - not that my votes would have made any difference to the winner. I don't think they will this week either!
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Gorgeous Daze
Yes one should sail away with this, and I'm onboard. I don't expect that to hit the rocks, but my second choice is a pop romance that spans the decades. My third is a paean to an Oxfordshire village.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan wrote
Old Grey Whistler wrote
One of these songs is absolutely fantastic and I like it so much that I am thinking of having it played at my funeral.
I really hope it's "I Hear you Knocking"
At the moment I am quite tempted with ' Going Underground ' by The Jam.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Who's That Hurll
I have dry land underfoot for my three choices and have no need for any artificial, liquid - spanning structures.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

The Rubberband Man
I've voted for a guitar god, lyrical brilliance, and a soul classic.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

PattiforPM
Glad the God is getting votes, I was feeling guilty about not giving him one of mine

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

I have chosen so I went for a Duo. And went for a record with a spirit in it. And last of a place in Oxfordshire.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Not sure without checking on past polls, but each of the candidates has secured at least one vote. I guess this is more likely to happen when there are as few as 14 to choose from as opposed to some years with over 20. Its also testament to the year in question that all 14 are maybe a tad better in quality than what i first inferred in my second post on this thread.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Thanks to everyone that took part and voted. I thought Paul & Arthur had this one nailed on from the very start and indeed they did.

Quite pleased that i got the top 3 (well third was jointly given). I went with Bridge, Goldband & Rosemary.

Another year, this time from the 1980s for Tuesdays poll.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

AC/PD
Pleased to see all options received a nomination.
I went for one spirit and two thirds.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

No surprise about the winner. Indeed, it would have been a surprise if it hadn't won. I too got the Top Three right (Woodstock). Very high quality year. More 60s in essence, I think. The advent of glam would change things much the following year and the 70s would start for real.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

I wonder who went for the song that kinda promotes drink driving ! On saying that, who went for the song about a bunch of footballers who threw away a 2-nil lead in a World Cup semi-final !!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

VintageVideos
I never understood all the praise for BOTW. I think it's a monotonous, boring and much too long song. I'm glad one of my picks (Woodstock) made the Top 3, that's more than usual. My other choices were Yellow River (my first 45) and Tears Of A Clown, although I almost went for the other soul classic, Band Of Gold.
In The Summertime is a real evergreen, I'm a bit surprised it only got one vote.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

I picked two of the top three – S&G and Freda Payne.

I’m very surprised though that’s there’s only one other connoisseur of great music (as well as me) who gave a nod to Voodoo Chile. I thought Hendrix would have easily walked this

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Legsfan
I voted for Rosie, Smokey and Spirits

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

I must say that I got two, it show you how popular Edison Lighthouse was in this vote. But the winner was a odds on favourite from the start. It nice see Woodstock got joint Third.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

On saying that, who went for the song about a bunch of footballers who threw away a 2-nil lead in a World Cup semi-final !!
Yes, I wonder who?            (It was the Quarter-Final)

1. The Wonder Of You  2. Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)  3.  Back Home