Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

PattiforPM
I went Freda, Smokey and S&G.  Surprised Edison Lighthouse did so well and yes the England team and the cowboy imitating a bullfrog did exceptionally to get any votes at all.  Vin when I find Flick's version of BOTW you're not getting a copy

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

The Rubberband Man wrote
 I’m very surprised though that’s there’s only one other connoisseur of great music (as well as me) who gave a nod to Voodoo Chile. I thought Hendrix would have easily walked this
  If I'd had one more vote JH would have had it.  He just wasn't a lucky guy

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

I must be the other who chose  Voodoo Chile , as I definitely voted for it. I am surprised it did not get more votes either. And I went for Freda Payne’s Band Of  Gold and the always enjoyable Love Grows ( Where My Rosemary Goes ) . So, not bad, but it was hard to leave out Matthews Southern Comfort and Woodstock from my three.
A very good year for Music all round.
If a year in the 80s is next, I will do my best to sound enthusiastic.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Hanway2 wrote
If a year in the 80s is next, I will do my best to sound enthusiastic.
I choose the years 1960 to 1989 as the so called `golden years` of number ones. I guess the later 80s years may be stretching that a bit, but most of the number ones are familiar to us and some of the early 80s years are very good indeed. Now if i was asking us to rate number ones from 1990 onwards, then id expect enthusiasm to dissolve at a rate of knots.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

On saying that, who went for the song about a bunch of footballers who threw away a 2-nil lead in a World Cup semi-final !!
Must put my pedantry hat on here. It was actually the 1/4 final. Often blamed on stand-in goalie Peter Bonetti's lack of experience at that level, after Gordon Banks fell victim to a touch of Montezuma's revenge. Though the real reason was probably taking Charlton off early to rest him for the semi! It's arguable whether England have ever been a major player (except in their own minds) on the world stage since, such was the lasting devastation of the result. Though things might change soon with our two World Cup victories last year.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Hanway2 wrote
If a year in the 80s is next, I will do my best to sound enthusiastic.
I choose the years 1960 to 1989 as the so called `golden years` of number ones. I guess the later 80s years may be stretching that a bit, but most of the number ones are familiar to us and some of the early 80s years are very good indeed. Now if i was asking us to rate number ones from 1990 onwards, then id expect enthusiasm to dissolve at a rate of knots.
Got to disagree with you there Ryan, the later 80s are better than the early 60s IMO, even accounting for the pernicious influence of SA&W.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I went for S&G, Greenbaum, and Christie.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan wrote
Got to disagree with you there Ryan, the later 80s are better than the early 60s IMO, even accounting for the pernicious influence of SA&W.
Well you and the rest of us had the added advantage of actually being alive through the late 80s to be able to make that deduction. Most or all on here will have been babes in arms or merely still a twinkle in our father's eyes in the early 60s, so we can only go on the evidence of the number ones available.

Popular music in the early sixties, just like the latter half of the 50s was still in its purest from. Boy meets girl, falls in love with her and then gets dumped, thats about the size of the 2 minute songs back then. A far cry from the wide and varied songs from the late 80s. But without doubt the early 60s qualify for Golden years, but would i ever choose to play any, well  no, like you id be more likely select later 80s over than early 60s.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

PattiforPM
Obviously it's tough to compare music with so much subjectivity and so much reliance on one's life experiences at the time tied to it but I have to vigorously disagree right back at you RNOF.  For me the late 80s was a relative wasteland after about 1986 with only the odd ditty I ever listen to now, whereas the early 60s (after about 1962 anyway) contains many of the lasting classics I listen to still.  I think Ryan is right about the relative simplicity of that time's themes but for me the tunes are just more memorable and not the victim of goofy production.  There are diamonds in the rough at any era you choose but overall I'm glad I went traveling to the Antipodes in 1985/86 (and not in search of the stars of Neighbours BTW!)

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Whenever I hear those opening Voodoo chords I can't help thinking that the guitarist sounds like he should be taking a couple of Senna tablets !

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Old Grey Whistler
I voted for Spirit In The Sky, Bridge Over Troubled Water and Wanderin Star.

I hope the middle one is the funeral song OGW

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Old Grey Whistler
It is indeed, P4PM

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

PattiforPM wrote
 Surprised Edison Lighthouse did so well
There is more than one show in town you know; us Hetherinites have become a growing influence on the forum.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

PattiforPM
Point taken Mr Hurll

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Mikey
Simon, Art, Freda and Matthew.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1970.

Everything'sRosie
That sounds like an American sex comedy from the 1970s