Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

Your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

This is the 19th of our `Tuesday to Friday polls` in which we vote on our favourite UK number one singles from the golden years of pop, 1960 to 1989. Your task is to decide which 'three' are your favourites from each given year.

Remember that you must select all '3' favourite choices in one go, you cannot vote for one or two then vote again for your third.
The poll ends Friday at 7.15pm. This is a hidden poll and the result will automatically be revealed at the end of the poll. You must be logged-in to vote.

THE POLL IS CLOSED.

VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.
You can select up to 3 options.
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

Sandwiched in between the two novelty records there are some really decent number 1's this year. Ive made my three choices which are all very different in style i must say.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

Old Grey Whistler
There doesn't seem to be as many as normal but still a few good ones.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

I've got two, but thinking about the third Ryan. But is great year for records.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

Old Grey Whistler wrote
There doesn't seem to be as many as normal but still a few good ones.
Yes just 13 number 1's for 1971. We still have a year we haven't used yet with even fewer, just 12.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

This is going to be tough. At a first glance there are at least SIX I will give serious consideration to. Another fabulous year for music.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

This is the easiest year so far for me with three total standouts.  One of them won't get the German Jury's vote though

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

AC/PD
Currently leaning towards the pre-historic end of the spectrum.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

The Rubberband Man
Bob Borst's prompter :-

http://d1pop96i45smdf.cloudfront.net/popculture/medley/final/uk/year/1971.mp3

I think this is a difficult year to pick just three favourites. Take Benny Hill's "Ernie" for example which is, without any argument, the best novelty record of all time. With lines like :-
Now Ernie loved a widow, a lady known as Sue
She lived all alone in Liddley Lane at number 22
They said she was too good for him, she was haughty, proud and chic
But Ernie got his cocoa there three times every week

Even Dylan couldn't come up with a lyric like that.... but will it get any votes on the OFTD poll?

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

AC/PD wrote
Currently leaning towards the pre-historic end of the spectrum.
 Clive Dunn?

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

AC/PD
No, not Corporal Jones

The Almighty and the Dinosaurs

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

The Rubberband Man wrote
 but will it get any votes on the OFTD poll?
It has !

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

The Rubberband Man wrote
Even Dylan couldn't come up with a lyric like that.... but will it get any votes on the OFTD poll?
Sadly, not from me. It would have made my second 3, but the competition this year was just too tough. Loved Benny Hill though, along with the sauciness he was a well-read erudite man and a brilliant lyricist.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Another Benny Hill fan here, just the way he looked down the lens of the camera with that twinkle in his eye always had me chuckling - but I think I've already played my novelty song "joker" when I voted for Brian & Michael the other week.

 Well the year of my birth has set me a conundrum....the "b" side of Maggie May, Rod's version of Tim Hardin's Reason to Believe, is one of my favourite songs of all time...but as the record wasn't officially a double "A" side, I don't think I can vote for it, as Maggie May is not a song I particularly like....so for me, its some ska, a Beatle ,and a bunch of brummies.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

Thanks again for the prompt link TRBM as some of that lot are instantly forgettable.  So its three that Pans danced to from this elector although, bother, their routine to the best song from this years selection has apparently not survived.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

I wonder who the clown is who keeps on only selecting two choices. Its now past the stage of incompetence and is surely done to petty amusement on their behalf.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

Gorgeous Daze
A double in no way middle of the road and birdsong owing something to hot pants if not hot love.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

The Rubberband Man
My three votes are in :-

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

JEZ
A very hard choice this week ,as I could have easily picked at least 7 ,but the 3 ive picked are the 3 that have stand out as big hits in my mind from the age of 6.I can still remember chirpy chirpy cheep cheep and knock 3 times ,being sang in the infants playground.the other one ive chosen is the classic george Harrison single ,although I dont remember that so much being sang in the playground at all.

Re: VOTE HERE for your `3` favourite UK number one singles from 1971.

Who's That Hurll
My, what a hot selection! I can't wait to vote.